Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

ALIExpress ... BS?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

ALIExpress ... BS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 07:00 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
ALIExpress ... BS?

I'm looking for a 27.2 / 400mm no elastomer suspension seatpost.

I am familiar with the Suntour NCX post which rates well. A little more than I want to spend, and an older fashioned traditional spring style would be fine (like an EVO Cushy). However, this link turned up on Goolag >>> www.aliexpress.com/item/32907072522.html

Spidey senses detect BS. Is Spidey out to lunch? Maybe this seller was a thief at the Suntour factory. Maybe they are factory B stock. Never dealt with Ali before and generally avoid the PAC Rim for buying direct. What do your spidey senses tell you on this one?
Old 08-29-23, 07:22 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
My senses are to stay away from Ali, but for $10 how wrong can you go?
Likes For 2old:
Old 08-29-23, 08:14 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
More than likely counterfeit.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-29-23, 09:47 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
It is a fake for sure or just a picture of them that they are selling. I don't recommend buying anything from Alibaba and his 40 thieves but I don't like supporting thief culture and try to avoid sweatshops and poor labor conditions.

I generally don't recommend pogo sticks for seat posts they change the fit of your bike and can do a bit more damage to the knees. Certainly cheap in every sense of the word but not a useful thing. Would rather have a slightly more flexible rigid post and save money or actually spend the money and get a Kinekt post and be comfortable and not change my position so much.
Old 08-29-23, 09:54 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
The $9 item refers to a shim. The post itself is $90.
That said, despite the pricing, I generally lack trust in the authenticity/branding of items found on AliExpress, unless it's a known Chinese brand like Superteam, ZTTO, Sun Race, Roswheel, etc.
Old 08-29-23, 10:05 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
As tFunk said, you have to click on one of the color choices so it shows the selection for the seatpost, and not the shim. The seatpost is $90.
I don't know if this piece is good or bad, but in general I've bought a lot of cycling small items and tools, etc from Aliexpress and they all performed as expected. China builds the majority of the bicycles in the world. It would be presumptuous to think they don't know what they are doing.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 08-29-23, 10:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
I've bought some pretty good stuff from AliExpress. Never bought anything for bikes though. Just like eBay and Amazon, they are just a place that allows other sellers to post their stuff for you to buy. Some is good some is bad. It's entirely buyer beware.

Shipment tracking is a nightmare. So just don't try. Stuff being shipped might arrive in a week or it might take over a month. Usually it gets hung up in US customs and you sometimes don't know it's left there till it arrives on your doorstep.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-29-23, 10:44 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything that bears the weight of my body, or even part of it, at ALIExpress.
Old 08-29-23, 10:58 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
My senses are to stay away from Ali, but for $10 how wrong can you go?
The possibility of having to go to the ER and explain why you have shattered seatpost fragments up your butthole sounds like a pretty big discouragement to me. Not a part I want to cheap out on.

Likes For himespau:
Old 08-29-23, 11:54 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,233 Posts
Have purchased bike products from mainland China = Al handlebars, tubes, pedals/cleats, jerseys.
AliExpress has been fine for my 4 or 5 orders.
Old 08-29-23, 12:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
If it is worth it to you to spend the time, energy, and money to be sure you are getting cheated, go ahead.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-29-23, 12:49 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
The possibility of having to go to the ER and explain why you have shattered seatpost fragments up your butthole sounds like a pretty big discouragement to me. Not a part I want to cheap out on.
Can't imagine that happening unless you ride without a seat, but if that's your thing....... You seem like an excellent entry into the ignore file!
Likes For 2old:
Old 08-29-23, 01:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
I only buy bike parts from Aliexpress if they have some honest, nearly unpronounceable Chinese name. Brand names, no.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-29-23, 02:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Old 08-29-23, 02:55 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Like most items on these forums, those with the strongest opinions are those with the least experience with the topic being discussed. I have purchased an untold number of items from AliExpress, from misc. Screws and hardware to Garmin mounts without issue and at incredible savings. I have purchased numerous Shimano parts, including XTR Disc rotors, brake pads and derailleur cages. All function perfectly and, other than coming in bulk packaging rather than retail box identical. A recent example is I wanted a Fenix Watch adapter to Garmin mount, which from Garmin was $70.00 from AliExpress was $10.00. The item looked identical and was so specialized there was no chance that this was a so-called knockoff.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-29-23, 03:41 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Like most items on these forums, those with the strongest opinions are those with the least experience with the topic being discussed. I have purchased an untold number of items from AliExpress, from misc. Screws and hardware to Garmin mounts without issue and at incredible savings. I have purchased numerous Shimano parts, including XTR Disc rotors, brake pads and derailleur cages. All function perfectly and, other than coming in bulk packaging rather than retail box identical. A recent example is I wanted a Fenix Watch adapter to Garmin mount, which from Garmin was $70.00 from AliExpress was $10.00. The item looked identical and was so specialized there was no chance that this was a so-called knockoff.
I don't need to experience jumping out of a mile high plane without a parachute to know what will happen if you don't have one and deploy it. Thanks tho, Shrugged.
Old 08-29-23, 03:45 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
It would be presumptuous to think they don't know what they are doing.
I'd say, it depends. I haven't heard of any chinese made electric bikes bursting into flame, but their TOTL electric automobiles seem to.

Old 08-29-23, 03:47 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by tFUnK
The $9 item refers to a shim. The post itself is $90.
That said, despite the pricing, I generally lack trust in the authenticity/branding of items found on AliExpress, unless it's a known Chinese brand like Superteam, ZTTO, Sun Race, Roswheel, etc.
Thanks for spotting that shim bit. Missed it.
Old 08-29-23, 04:12 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
I don't need to experience jumping out of a mile high plane without a parachute to know what will happen if you don't have one and deploy it. Thanks tho, Shrugged.
Good point; however, in this case, it is more like jumping off a stepstool, and tens of thousands of people have done it before you! You initially appeared to post a sincere question about a price too low to be true, Once clarified and the price is much more in line, you still seem to have an agenda regarding AliExpress.
I'd say, it depends. I haven't heard of any chinese made electric bikes bursting into flame, but their TOTL electric automobiles seem to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOA7qKMcjcE
There are numerous videos of other EVs catching fire, American, German and Japanese. Why select this one out of the thousands?
Old 08-29-23, 04:35 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
I've had good and bad experiences on AliExpress, with the bad being, in my opinion, my own fault.

Good - Have bought a carbon seatpost which now has 1000's of miles on it with no dramas. Have bought a few jerseys, and some other small accessories.

Bad - Bought a very cheap "3T Carbon Aero" handlebar copy counterfeit. So flexy that I didn't dare put in on my bike!
Old 08-29-23, 04:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Thanks for spotting that shim bit. Missed it.
Which suggests you should probably stick to a LBS.
Old 08-29-23, 04:39 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 412 Posts
...What do your spidey senses tell you on this one?
I did vendor evaluations in the PRC for many years and suspect these could be genuine as the pricing is not that low and they seem to have a return policy. They look so good I think the worse case would be an end run after the Suntour QA/QC engineers left and they had the manufacturing facilities and likely some parts inventory so made them, which might be fine if they did not substitute. THe problem with the culture is it is the opposite in a way of ours where if you cheat someone bad on you, and in the PRC my take was if you can get the better of someone in a deal that is on them for not being careful.
Old 08-29-23, 07:43 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Which suggests you should probably stick to a LBS.
The site wasn't obviously clear. Many European sites are and no problems with them. But, thanks for the valuable contribution.
Old 08-29-23, 07:52 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by easyupbug
I did vendor evaluations in the PRC for many years and suspect these could be genuine as the pricing is not that low and they seem to have a return policy. They look so good I think the worse case would be an end run after the Suntour QA/QC engineers left and they had the manufacturing facilities and likely some parts inventory so made them, which might be fine if they did not substitute. THe problem with the culture is it is the opposite in a way of ours where if you cheat someone bad on you, and in the PRC my take was if you can get the better of someone in a deal that is on them for not being careful.
Yes, I have also read plenty on Chinese business dealings and it's pathological pragmatism. Western (i.e. high trust) societies certainly differ from China. In China, loyalty is applied only to the point that it pays to be loyal and not an iota beyond. Beyond that, anything goes. In China, trust exists only in the immediate familial realm or by the very closest of friendship ties.

I'm going to pass on the seatpost, or anything else, via Ali. A few posters of virtuous signal in here convinced me of that. Thanks to them.
Old 08-29-23, 09:43 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,233 Posts
Mods please move to P&R or close the thread. OP has spoken. . Nothing more to say, beyond a biased rant.

Trust me, I'm from a high trust society.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.