Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying a quality steel frame

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Buying a quality steel frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 06:26 AM
EGreen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys! Great info and suggestions! In the process of this thread, I've taken a determined turn towards Ti. I've been waiting on local a guy to come down in price on a Merlin, even if this doesn't come through, I'm still going to pursue Ti, maybe some of the frames put forth here.

Basically Ti has been my goal, upgrading my heavy steel to lighter steel an interim solution. That there are some decent ti's for a decent price (If Sheldon Brown sells it [Habaneros], I'm not going doubt the quality) I'm now thinking definitely Ti.

Any beefs with the entry-level ti frames?
Old 03-01-06, 06:40 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
man, you can't go wrong with that Litespeed!!

The Ouzo Pro fork alone would be about $500US down here!!

The only thing I don't like is the colour
Old 03-01-06, 08:28 AM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EGreen
I've taken a determined turn towards Ti...Basically Ti has been my goal...Any beefs with the entry-level ti frames?
Do it. If I hadn't fallen in love with my Rivendell I would've gone with entry level Ti as well. The Firenze looks like a fine starting point and it does have Litespeed's lifetime warranty. Make sure you get a good fit then you're golden. That frameset should last for a good long time...
Old 03-01-06, 10:43 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12193 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Thanks guys! Great info and suggestions! In the process of this thread, I've taken a determined turn towards Ti. I've been waiting on local a guy to come down in price on a Merlin, even if this doesn't come through, I'm still going to pursue Ti, maybe some of the frames put forth here.

Basically Ti has been my goal, upgrading my heavy steel to lighter steel an interim solution. That there are some decent ti's for a decent price (If Sheldon Brown sells it [Habaneros], I'm not going doubt the quality) I'm now thinking definitely Ti.

Any beefs with the entry-level ti frames?
Hi,
there's a couple guys here that ride a Habanero and like them. I know a guy that has one. I went down to Harris Cyclery and test rode one and was very impressed.
Old 03-01-06, 02:11 PM
chzman
Mad Scientist

Bikes: Dean TI fixie... Viner ProComp... NEXT pink sparkely!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
personally I love Ti bikes, my fixed gear is a custom Dean Ti. You won't need another frame, ever, so spending a little extra could be justified. With that said, you can get a really nice custom frame from DeSalvo or Dean for around 1700 and 1400, respectively.
Old 03-01-06, 03:28 PM
Marlin523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1991 Tomassini. All pantographed, Super Record group, new wheels, tires, and 9 speed cassette (pretty unusual with friction shifting) It would sell it for 2500.00. If you are interested, email me at Marlin523@aol.com and I will send you pics.
Old 03-01-06, 10:17 PM
wagathon
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm tired of CL, never come across much worth pursuing- too vintage, if I do it's invariably smaller than the 57-58 cm I'm looking for. If I find something on EBay, I always lose in the bidding.

I'm looking for a lightweight steel frame with quality tubing and construction (reynolds, Columb.etc) . . . Suggest?
Much for the same reasons as you, I was checking out the Lemond Proprad--about $1K / was 853 steel / now it's True Temper OX Platinum Cross. Fortunately I came across a used '91 Lemond BA that had been ridden about 3-times.
Old 03-13-06, 10:52 PM
MSC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's one more vote for the Firenze. Don't believe the hype/criticism about it being "flexy" - it's not the stiffest frame in the world, but by no means is it flexy (check out the 2004 bikes on Litespeed's website - they scored all of that year's bikes on a 0-5 scale for stiffness, ride quality, etc., and the 2005 Firenze is the same frame). As for the frame's quality, there is absolutely nothing "entry-level" about it. It's handmade by Litespeed in Tennessee just like all of their other frames. The only difference is that the tubes are round rather than shaped, so it's a bit less stiff than their top-end racing bikes; the welds and workmanship are just as good. You might never need to buy another frame again, because this one is bombproof (though of course, you'll want to like the rest of us!).

I bought my Firenze ('04/Ultegra, same frame as the '05) last summer after also testing a variety of steel, carbon, and aluminum bikes in the $1500-2000 price range, and I have only great things to say about it. It is an incredibly smooth, comfortable ride, but it's also lightweight and responsive. As the others above have written, there are excellent steel and carbon options in the same price range. That said, you'll be hard pressed to find as good a deal as this.
Old 03-14-06, 05:29 AM
EGreen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSC
Here's one more vote for the Firenze. Don't believe the hype/criticism about it being "flexy" - it's not the stiffest frame in the world, but by no means is it flexy (check out the 2004 bikes on Litespeed's website - they scored all of that year's bikes on a 0-5 scale for stiffness, ride quality, etc., and the 2005 Firenze is the same frame). As for the frame's quality, there is absolutely nothing "entry-level" about it. It's handmade by Litespeed in Tennessee just like all of their other frames. The only difference is that the tubes are round rather than shaped, so it's a bit less stiff than their top-end racing bikes; the welds and workmanship are just as good. You might never need to buy another frame again, because this one is bombproof (though of course, you'll want to like the rest of us!).

I bought my Firenze ('04/Ultegra, same frame as the '05) last summer after also testing a variety of steel, carbon, and aluminum bikes in the $1500-2000 price range, and I have only great things to say about it. It is an incredibly smooth, comfortable ride, but it's also lightweight and responsive. As the others above have written, there are excellent steel and carbon options in the same price range. That said, you'll be hard pressed to find as good a deal as this.
If I had post purchase regret/depression -as I often do- your post would've cheered me up. However, having had the bike for a bit now, it serves as reinforcement that I got a tremendous deal on a great ride!

I vaguely gather that the 'flexiness,' problem had to do with older models prior to oversizing the seat tube. (Better informed others can confirm or deny this) On this, I went by the book and got a smaller (but recommended) frame than I'm inclined to do to further reduce any noodling effect.

Some obligatory pics..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tn_DSC01260.JPG (19.7 KB, 34 views)
tn_DSC01285.JPG (17.1 KB, 14 views)
tn_DSC01297.JPG (23.8 KB, 14 views)
tn_DSC01306.JPG (18.1 KB, 23 views)
tn_DSC01307.JPG (15.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-14-06, 05:32 AM
EGreen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next time I'll make em bigger ...what's the max size allowed?
Old 03-14-06, 06:53 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BeeTL
Ask FMW here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=173363

You'll see from his signature that he owns a little of everything, and the Firenze is his current favorite.
I know people pooh pooh the ride characteristic thing but I know better. I have bikes in all the normal frame materials and I've tested them all with the same wheels, tires, etc. ad nauseum. There is simply no doubt in my mind that the steel and ti frames are easier on the body on rougher roads than aluminum. I assume the reason is that the aluminum frames need be made from larger diameter tubes to compensate for the inherently weaker material. I believe that is the reason that aluminum frames feel so "stiff." In fact they are "stiff" for that very reason.

But you can have all the stiffness you need with the other frame materials and enjoy a more comfortable ride.

The Firenze gives me the best of both, I think, and does it with a significantly lighter bike than steel. It rides like my steel Basso with a slightly "twitchier" geometry but it only weighs a little over 17 lbs complete with pedals, cage and computer. I'm no racer but none of my frames have any meaningful affect on my speed. They do have a meaningful affect on my comfort on rough roads. So I recommend Ti simply because it behaves like steel and weighs like aluminum. That's pretty hard to beat in my opinion.

Is the Firenze flexy? If that means is it flexy enough to affect perfomance, then I don't think so. A pro racer attuned to every nuance of a frame's performance might notice a difference between it and one of the upscale Litespeed frames. Nevertheless, the pros seem to perform just fine on any frame their sponsors provide. Mere mortals like me just appreciate having a light road cycle that performs way beyond the level to which we are capable of taking it. And, importantly, a bicycle that doesn't beat us up too badly on the rough roads. It fits me just right, mine is equipped with some of the best components available and it is my favorite ride. I think the Firenze is a terrific frame and a great value as well. Go ride a Ti bike and see if you don't agree. Buy a steel frame for the sake of nostalgia. Buy a Ti frame for the same ride with fewer pounds.