Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Asians in the Tour De France?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Asians in the Tour De France?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-06, 09:35 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pokalex92
asians in the tour? in the future i can see it happening, especially if i'm in it.
R600?? is that you??
Old 10-16-06, 11:18 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Fuyu Li

https://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=10087

Discovery Channel Signs First Chinese Rider in Pro Peloton

(Austin, TX) – The Discovery Channel Team continues to add to their 2007 roster with the addition of Fuyu Li of China. This new signing continues to expand the international reach of the Discovery Channel Team as the 2007 roster now includes riders from 12 countries. Li will be the first ever Chinese rider to race at cycling’s elite Pro Tour level and Sports Director Johan Bruyneel is confident that he will be successful.

“Fuyu has proven that he is a strong rider, has had some impressive results and we are excited to have him as a member of our Team. He will certainly need some time to get used to the speed and style of racing but I will design a program that allows him to be successful. I am sure he will adapt quickly,” stated Johan Bruyneel.

Li has had a successful 2006 campaign riding for his current Marco Polo Cycling Team, a Chinese based UCI Continental Team that races both in Asia and Europe. Li’s major accomplishments from 2006 include: a Win at the GP Westfalen in Germany, an overall win at the Tour of Thailand, the first time a Chinese rider ever won the overall at an international pro race, and 3rd place podium finishes in both the Road Race and Time Trial events at the Chinese National Championships. Li was delighted that the Discovery Channel Team, the Team of seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong, was interested in signing him.

“I am so very happy that Johan has selected me to be a part of the Discovery Channel Team. This is a dream come true for me and I am excited to be the first Chinese rider to race at this elite level. I can only hope that this will increase the awareness for the sport and also cycling participation in China,” commented Fuyu.

Li is currently at the Great Wall cycling festival, the largest amateur bicycle racing and participatory event in China. The event is being held on the competition grounds of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.

The Discovery Channel Team currently has 10 riders (Beppu, Brajkovic, Devolder, Gusev, Hammond, Hoste, Popovych, Van Goolen, Van Heeswijk, and White) competing at the World Cycling Championships in Salzburg, Austria.
Old 10-16-06, 11:21 PM
JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
R600?? is that you??
LOL.. Classic
Old 10-17-06, 12:31 AM
austinspinner

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

from humble beginnings and baskets....

to preparing for the cross season...

Asia bikes!
Old 10-17-06, 02:25 PM
nelda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in New Zealand but I was born in Indonesia.
In Indonesia, the crime rate is very high and pollution is high.
Now, would you want to ride in such a condition? Last year, I went back to Indonesia and I see some changes.
No, still high crime and pollution but more bicycle shop. It seems like there is a local company that build bikes with proper shimano gearing. but with the price tag of Rp. 12.000.000 (12 millions rupiah), you can buy a scooter and it will definitely "look better" in scooter than a bike. so again it is the game of the rich and famous...
Old 10-17-06, 03:11 PM
mingsta
All the gear and no idea.

Bikes: 03 Klein Attitude Comp, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Condor Pista Track, Seven Alaris SG = perfection, all the bike I will ever need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintAndrew
don't get me wrong i love asians some of my best friends are asians but an asian could never make it through the tour de france honestly.

lol kidding obviously but i think there are some asian international teams and races starting. there's not at TdF level yet, but maybe they will be in the near future.
LOL! I was just about to press the red button, then I saw the bit at the bottom.
Old 10-17-06, 04:00 PM
madtrack

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
****oshi at SunTour!

Hey man, the Asians can rock on the bike. Just saw on www.thebroadbandracer.com that the only no Aussie to win a stage in the Suntour was an Japanese rider, ****oshi!

https://www.thebroadbandracer.com/fly...&layout=player
Old 10-17-06, 04:02 PM
madtrack

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madtrack
Hey man, the Asians can rock on the bike. Just saw on www.thebroadbandracer.com that the only no Aussie to win a stage in the Suntour was an Japanese rider, ****oshi!

https://www.thebroadbandracer.com/fly...&layout=player

Just saw the censored the dudes name in my post! Asian riders can't get any love! Let's juts say his name rhymes with "fit"...
Old 10-18-06, 07:09 AM
Mo'Phat
Scum, Freezebag!

Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*****oshi...<---that's how we do it in these parts.