Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Team Astana Sponsership

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Team Astana Sponsership

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 03:18 PM
julian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
Whadever............
There is a t in what, not that I care!
You guys can quit your backpedaling.
Old 07-21-09, 03:20 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by julian
There is a t in what, not that I care!
You guys can quit your backpedaling.
when you're in a hole, you should stop digging.
Old 07-21-09, 03:27 PM
julian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
when you're in a hole, you should stop digging.
No hole, big announcement Thursday and you let semantics get in the way.
Old 07-21-09, 03:34 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
julian you are one argumentative cuss. maybe you should hit a meeting .

ed rader
Old 07-21-09, 03:37 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
you certainly don't let facts get in the way.
Old 07-21-09, 04:14 PM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All speculation and banter aside, I'm interested in the details of the announcement. I lost all of my respect for Vino when he got all chesty about how he definitely would be with Astana when his suspension was over and how JB would be gone if he didn't want him.

I think he will end up being the dog who caught the car when everyone who is anyone leaves Astana and he's left with a "team" that won't get invited to a lot of races. Talk about naive, JB basically saved the team and rebuilt it's reputation. That will all be undone if things happen the way I think they will.
Old 07-21-09, 04:33 PM
Allen H

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
All speculation and banter aside, I'm interested in the details of the announcement. I lost all of my respect for Vino when he got all chesty about how he definitely would be with Astana when his suspension was over and how JB would be gone if he didn't want him.

I think he will end up being the dog who caught the car when everyone who is anyone leaves Astana and he's left with a "team" that won't get invited to a lot of races. Talk about naive, JB basically saved the team and rebuilt it's reputation. That will all be undone if things happen the way I think they will.
+1

Too bad a catfight broke out here, instead of useful info based on the header.

Timing is interesting (though I saw elsewhere that JB already said he was finished with Astana after the Tour - which I'd guess is more Astana's doing than JB's), still during the Tour?
Old 07-21-09, 04:52 PM
cotatrials

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So Astana is no longer? Armstrong and JB are working for Astana. You are so wrong again!
I didn't think Lance was getting paid by Astana to ride this year, and may have even used some of his own (as in personal sponsors like Nike) money to keep Astana going through the tour............. You can not work for someone if you are paying them..... they work for you...
Old 07-21-09, 04:56 PM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good read. got a nice chuckle outta this.

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos
Old 07-21-09, 05:01 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The timing of this doesn't surprise me in the least. They (LA, JB & their sponsor) will get a whole lot more air time and press by announcing during The Tour as opposed to after it's all over. So, no surprise there. And, at such a late stage that there is little Astana could do to effect the rest of their Tour.
Old 07-21-09, 05:30 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by erader
you should get your facts straight and then you'll know why some of us think the actions of lance and bruyneel are despicable.
What has Bruyneel or Lance done that is despicable? Seems like the whole Astana team was put through the wringer this year. I don't understand why setting up a new team with stable financing should be a surprise.
Old 07-21-09, 05:35 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
What has Bruyneel or Lance done that is despicable? Seems like the whole Astana team was put through the wringer this year. I don't understand why setting up a new team with stable financing should be a surprise.
bruyneel supporting lance over contador because lance and bruyneel will be starting their own team is despicable.

lance hemmed and hawed and said he would contest the giro and then later proclaimed himself co-captain of astana for the TDF with the help of bruyneel is also despicable.

ed rader
Old 07-21-09, 05:47 PM
gregf83 

bruyneel supporting lance over contador because lance and bruyneel will be starting their own team is despicable.

lance hemmed and hawed and said he would contest the giro and then later proclaimed himself co-captain of astana for the TDF with the help of bruyneel is also despicable.

ed rader
Has anyone been harmed in the slightest by these supposed despicable actions? Contador appears to be getting plenty of support in this tour and looks to have a solid grasp on the yellow jersey and a second tdf win. Other than people with delicate sensibilities I don't hear anyone complaining.
Old 07-21-09, 06:31 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone been harmed in the slightest by these supposed despicable actions? Contador appears to be getting plenty of support in this tour and looks to have a solid grasp on the yellow jersey and a second tdf win. Other than people with delicate sensibilities I don't hear anyone complaining.
pedro delgado, former tour winner and friend of contador says that the inner fight on the team has caused a lot of unnecessary stress on contador, and i think that's putting it mildly.

when lance had his own team he believed that only one guy was in charge, and that was him. he would never stand for another team member in any way trying to usurp his leadership. so lance is totalling disrespecting contador and the team....except he has most of the team including the director on his side.

oh, but lance is doing it for the love of the sport and of course for those suffering from cancer....somebody please pass me the vomit bucket .

ed rader
Old 07-21-09, 06:36 PM
bigfred 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ed,

A quick question: Do you believe; everything you read in the press? ,nothing that you read in the press? ,or, subjectively what you feel like believing?
Old 07-21-09, 06:44 PM
gregf83 

when lance had his own team he believed that only one guy was in charge, and that was him. he would never stand for another team member in any way trying to usurp his leadership. so lance is totalling disrespecting contador and the team....except he has most of the team including the director on his side.
I suppose the difference is that Lance earned the right to control his team and call the shots. Clearly, Contador is not yet in that position.
Old 07-21-09, 06:54 PM
julian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ed,

A quick question: Do you believe; everything you read in the press? ,nothing that you read in the press? ,or, subjectively what you feel like believing?
He hears voices. We don't know if they are from the press, from other sources or perhaps from his nightmares.
Old 07-21-09, 06:54 PM
Mooo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I suppose the difference is that Lance earned the right to control his team and call the shots. Clearly, Contador is not yet in that position.
This ought to be good.
Old 07-21-09, 06:59 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you think that if Lance and JB started a new team that the UCI would give preference to them for Astana's license spot over Vino running Astana. They only issue about 20 licenses right. Or will they grant a few more if they feel the teams have a solid management and financial backing.
Old 07-21-09, 07:03 PM
julian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hezz
Do you think that if Lance and JB started a new team that the UCI would give preference to them for Astana's license spot over Vino running Astana. They only issue about 20 licenses right. Or will they grant a few more if they feel the teams have a solid management and financial backing.
Who is going to ride for Astana when they have trouble paying the bills and a character like Vino is running the show?
Old 07-21-09, 07:04 PM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is it thursday yet? i want to know who the primary sponsor is.

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos
Old 07-21-09, 07:16 PM
bigfred 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hezz
There are apparently 18 current ProTour team licenses. I do not know if UCI can/will adjust that, but, would be surprised if they excluded a JB/LA led team from such. The other option is that the "New Team" register as a Pro Continental team which as a wild card allows the various race organizers to invite them. Most (race organizers) would of course, because, it will boost the interest in their races and increase the value of them. Barloworld and Cervelo Test are examples of the later.
Old 07-21-09, 08:19 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ed,

of course i don't believe everything i read. i used to be a member of the press .

let me ask you something: am i the only person who thinks like i do? there's plenty of people who agree with me....guys like delgado, sean kelly etc.

ed rader
Old 07-21-09, 08:22 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
contador has won three grand tours, one of five champions to ever to accomplish that feat plus he is demonstrably the strongest man in this race.

and you say he hasn't earned the right to lead a team !

ed rader
Old 07-21-09, 08:27 PM
bigfred 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
contador has won three grand tours, one of five champions to ever to accomplish that feat plus he is demonstrably the strongest man in this race.

and you say he hasn't earned the right to lead a team !

ed rader
Ed,

There's more to being a great "leader" than just "winning" and you're well aware of that. There are plenty of "winners" out there that still needed strong team "leaders" or "captains" to help them accomplish the goal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.