Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campy vs. Dura Ace: The dilemma!!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-06, 09:10 AM
bonehead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've heard mixed opinions on this. Some say that Dura Ace will go three years before needing any repair (normal wear and tear, of course); then others have said the entry level Campy comps. just start to break in at the three year point. What is your experience? I don't mind the investment, if it is going to save and last me in the long run.

Thanks
Old 04-26-06, 09:18 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
I've had 2 Campy groups (Nuevo Record, and Athena) and D/A 7,8,9 and 10 speed groups. Admittedly my Campy knowledge is dated, but as to D/A it is very durable. Last year I got rid of the 7 speed group because it was starting to wear out after 17 years, and 50,000 miles (although it still worked and with a few replacement parts, like a new spring on the front derailleur, would still work well) The 8 speed group got stolen. The 9 speed group works fine going on 8 years. And the 10 speed group is fine after one year.
Old 04-26-06, 09:26 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use to be a campy man back in the late seventies early eighties.
As campy got more expensive I switched to Dura-Ace and never looked back.
I find it quite durable. new 10 speed I just replaced a shifter on warranty
good for 3 years
Old 04-26-06, 10:04 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The campy stuff is simply better. It is stronger, more reliable and repairable. My personal experiences are exactly the opposite of the responders above and I don't give you this opinion because of my experiences but because of the experiences of cyclists in general that I know. If you ride the current groups in both brands you will see that there is no comparison. There just isn't.
Old 04-26-06, 10:14 AM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used nothing but Campy since the late 90's, currently my race bike has '05 Record and my other bikes have '04 and '05 Chorus. I've had zero issues with Campy and love it. I've ridden lot's of bikes with DA and it works just as well as my Record stuff. My issues with Shimano are first the hoods just aren't as comfortable for me as the Campy and I just hate the exposed cables on DA. If you are worried about durability I don't think you'll find a huge difference between Record/Chorus and DA. I'd go with what fits your hands best.
Old 04-26-06, 10:22 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I've had 2 Campy groups (Nuevo Record, and Athena) and D/A 7,8,9 and 10 speed groups. Admittedly my Campy knowledge is dated, but as to D/A it is very durable. Last year I got rid of the 7 speed group because it was starting to wear out after 17 years, and 50,000 miles (although it still worked and with a few replacement parts, like a new spring on the front derailleur, would still work well) The 8 speed group got stolen. The 9 speed group works fine going on 8 years. And the 10 speed group is fine after one year.
The Dura Ace 7-speed era headsets, bottom brackets and hub bearings were attrocious. Headsets often would notch within weeks. BB's would wear out in a month in some cases. The hubs were rough from the start.

8-speed stuff was little better.

It wasn't until Shimano released the cartridge bearing lines that things improved. Now headsets are as good as Chorus but bottom brackets still lag behind and wear out pretty rapidly. I assume the main reason for this is the large diameter pipe spindle doesn't allow large (and hence strong) enough bearings. They've responded by putting in EXTERNAL bearings. I'm afraid that seems so rediculous to me that I've completely turned away from Shimano stuff so configured.

Shimano Dura Ace STI shifters were always pretty good. They seldom failed even after many years though the Ultegra models wear out rather rapidly to this very day. Dura Ace derailleurs are great.

Chorus level components are like more reliable Dura Ace and are always my first choice. I also very much prefer the Ergo lever method of shifting and the definite CLICK when you change gears which is completely missing from the Dura Ace design.

Record stuff is preposterously expensive and isn't designed for racers as is commonly imagined but for the rich cyclist who pretends to be a racer. Giving away reliability to save a gram is the height of delusion and Record owners everywhere are guilty of it.
Old 04-26-06, 10:28 AM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here we go again....

Ridem' both and pick the one that feels better to you. Both groups will last a very long time.

Last edited by Tequila Joe; 04-26-06 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-26-06, 11:19 AM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Narrow tires have less rolling resistance than wide tires.....
Old 04-26-06, 11:23 AM
briscoelab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Record stuff is preposterously expensive and isn't designed for racers as is commonly imagined but for the rich cyclist who pretends to be a racer. Giving away reliability to save a gram is the height of delusion and Record owners everywhere are guilty of it."

This is a really stupid comment. Record not for racing?? What is crazy expensive is the Dura-Ace or Ultegra SHIFTERS.... those things are WAY too much money. Record shifters are much cheaper than either. Plus, there is NO excuse for how much the Dura-ace shifters weigh... esp considering the price. Both DA and Record work fantastic..... they are both very durable. Go with that fits your hands better. Or get one bike with each
Old 04-26-06, 11:33 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
It wasn't until Shimano released the cartridge bearing lines that things improved. Now headsets are as good as Chorus but bottom brackets still lag behind and wear out pretty rapidly. I assume the main reason for this is the large diameter pipe spindle doesn't allow large (and hence strong) enough bearings. They've responded by putting in EXTERNAL bearings. I'm afraid that seems so rediculous to me that I've completely turned away from Shimano stuff so configured.
I think you may be showing your Campagnolo bias on this one. The one place where D/A has an advantage over Campy is the 2 piece crank/external bb. In fact Campy is finally getting ready to give up on it's square taper bb. But back to the OP, Record and D/A are both going to last a long time and serve you well. Decide on which one you like better, fits you and fits your wallet.
Old 04-26-06, 11:44 AM
park

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pro teams are split pretty evenly on use of Campy or Shimano, but you'll find Shimano more commonly in the US. Parts for Shimano are going to be easier to get. Having said that I've never had to fix my Dura Ace equipment despite less than stellar attention to maintenance and cleaning. I've ridden Dura Ace for years with no complaints. I'm sure Campy equipment is very similar.
Old 04-26-06, 11:51 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I like pie.
Old 04-26-06, 11:54 AM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Record stuff is preposterously expensive and isn't designed for racers as is commonly imagined but for the rich cyclist who pretends to be a racer. Giving away reliability to save a gram is the height of delusion and Record owners everywhere are guilty of it.
Really? I've never had a failure on any of my Record or Chorus stuff. Secondly a full DA groupset is about the same price as a full Record groupset. Record is about 7% more than DA.
Old 04-26-06, 12:26 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2Rodies
Really? I've never had a failure on any of my Record or Chorus stuff. Secondly a full DA groupset is about the same price as a full Record groupset. Record is about 7% more than DA.
Personal experience on failure rates isn't very indicative. In the bike shops I've seen quite a few failed Record shifters from broken levers. Now everything is REPAIRABLE and that isn't a problem but aluminum levers seldom had catastrophic failures. I've also seen quite a few broken rear Record derailleurs with the carbon sideplate. Notice that Campy is avoiding putting out carbon fiber brakes? A failure there might doom their market in the USA in the court system.

Again, this is all very minor but the fact is that racing teams would preferred Chorus parts when they were all aluminum over the marginally lighter but less reliable carbon fiber parts.

The ONLY advantage of carbon fiber in these applications is minute weight advantages.
Old 04-26-06, 12:31 PM
jameyj
LSU Alum

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100D - 2005 Giant NRS - 2004.5 Giant Suede

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
I like pie.
+1
Old 04-26-06, 12:32 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Chorus level components are like more reliable Dura Ace and are always my first choice. I also very much prefer the Ergo lever method of shifting and the definite CLICK when you change gears which is completely missing from the Dura Ace design.

I'll agree that there is no performance difference between Chorus and Record, and even some components between Veloce and record.
However, there is no reliability loss going to Record, hundreds of pros use Record.
The DA brifters are clumsy and heavy, and I like the micro-adjust on the front deraileur, and the lever-based brake release.

Old 04-26-06, 12:34 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by park
Pro teams are split pretty evenly on use of Campy or Shimano, but you'll find Shimano more commonly in the US. Parts for Shimano are going to be easier to get. Having said that I've never had to fix my Dura Ace equipment despite less than stellar attention to maintenance and cleaning. I've ridden Dura Ace for years with no complaints. I'm sure Campy equipment is very similar.
Pro team choice of components has little to do with the components, more with sponsorship.

Old 04-26-06, 12:40 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
The only two D.A. parts I've had break are:

Rear shifter (on the brake lever). They're good for 3- 4years, then some little spring in them goes. $200 or so for the part every time.

One rear derailleur. This over 15+ years.

So yes, D.A. is durable. I kid the Campy zealots but most of the pro peloton is racing on it at the highest level. So it really can't suck.

So take your pick weenies. It's all good.
Old 04-26-06, 12:44 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but aluminum levers seldom had catastrophic failures. .

You are aware that Chorus shifters are CF right? In '04 I tanked it pretty hard on my Cinelli, hard enough to write off the frame, hit my Record rear dr pretty hard, scared the CF face plate up pretty bad. Bolted on the new bike and it worked fine, I still have it as a spare. Record stuff holds up just fine.
Old 04-26-06, 12:44 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ok, recipie post time....

Unfortunately I can't find my damn spaghetti sauce recipie, and can't remember the amounts of some of the key ingredients .
Old 04-26-06, 12:50 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
kinda comes down to personal preference.

Performance is a give and take, also depending on comfortability with body size/hands and fingers. as well as asthetics of the equipment
I do perfer the way Campy shift levers are and how they work compared to shimano, but once you are with a gruppo seems that you stay with it, at least for me.

My twin brother uses Campy after I turned him on to bicycle riding, every year he has to rebuild the shifters on one of his bikes, they both have campy record.
In the fifteen + years I have used shimano I have only had to replace a shifter nothing else.
Old 04-26-06, 12:52 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like pie.
ohhhh you made me have a craving...
Old 04-26-06, 12:57 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like pie.
Me too. I could go for a slice of pecan pie right now.
Old 04-26-06, 01:03 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I could go for blueberry, apple, or key lime pie right about now....
Old 04-26-06, 01:05 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I prefer choclate cream pie or a boston cream pie.
smile.
EVERYDAY IS A GREAT DAY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.