Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Early 70's Legnano, arresting the decay.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 07:53 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 182 Posts

I've got this bike, a 197? Legnano Gran Premio and was trying to decide how to proceed with getting it back to riding condition. It had a serious case of rust blistering up in the paint but I didn't want to do a "like new" repaint on it. Overall the paint didn't look awful except for those spots of rust, perhaps 5% of the frames total surface. I thought I would try something new (for me) on this one so here is what I did. I scraped off any loose and blistered paint to bare metal, then I treated the affected areas with naval jelly. Next I sanded those patches with a fine sandpaper to taper the edges of the paint to a smoother finish. Finally I sparayed it all with clear laquer to protect the areas of bare metal. The result is a finish that retains most of the original paint but I have stopped any further deterioration of the paint and the metal. The flaws are quite obvious but seem to add some character to the bike. The targeted result for this bike will be a period correct rider, not a museum piece. It will be used in Century rides and shorter brevets, perhaps 200 and 300 km distances.

I am curious if others have done something similar to "arrest the decay" but try and keep the bike original?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
legnano1.jpg (77.5 KB, 37 views)
legnano4.jpg (96.9 KB, 41 views)
legnano2.jpg (99.5 KB, 40 views)
legnano3.jpg (98.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 03-01-12, 08:14 PM
echo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Not sure how long clear will stick to bare metal, I think I would of used a little primer on the bare metal, then try to find some touch-up paint that matches or comes close to matching the original paint. A steady hand and you can do this with a decent quality paintbrush of appropriate size.
Old 03-01-12, 09:09 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
I've done something similar, but I tried to find a reasonable (but not exact) match to the paint. It looks good from 10 feet, but up close it's evident that the condition is not great. I hope it doesn't look like I'm trying to conceal the flaws. There was a big ugly bare patch on the top tube, now there's a big ugly mismatched patch, but it's not rusting!

Old 03-01-12, 10:22 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 182 Posts
It is a bit of an experiment. The damage has already been done where the bike lived previously. If the laquer takes, I hope that it will not get worse. I will have to wait and see I guess!
Old 03-02-12, 05:25 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
When it works, it's a great solution to the keeping patina/repaint dilemma. I look forward to see this beauty in october! And nice campagnolo sign on the wall, btw
Old 03-02-12, 07:18 AM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Bikes: Mid 50's Frejus, Late 50's Frejus, Early 1960s Frejus Professional, Mid 1960's Frejus Professional, Early 70's Gloria (branded), 76 Blue Pogliaghi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did a touch up to one of my bikes, and regretted it. My preference is to something similar, remove the surface rust then cover with clear nail polish. It works ok.
Old 03-02-12, 08:29 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
Have to say when I've had a frame in that condition and don't want a full repaint, I'll still look for a spray can to try to match. Once I even used two cans at the same time to mix the colors. It's always hard to guess through pics, but yours looks a lot like "guards red" (Porsche uses it).
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff