Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Trike or Bike?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Trike or Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-10, 10:50 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Trike or Bike?

I'm new to the idea of a recumbent, forgive me if this topic has been asked a lot, or if its some kind of hot button issue...I don't know much.

Whats the pro's and con's of a 'bent Trike vs. a 'bent Bike?

I haven't got much experience with either and I'm interested in trying something different.

Something about Tadpole Trikes just looks cool to me, so I'm definitely thinking in that direction, but I'd like to know more about the differences between the various options.

The Actionbent Apoyo looks especially cool to me.

Last edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox; 09-07-10 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-07-10, 12:36 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Trikes tend to be heavier (though you can find some bikes that weigh more than some trikes) and have higher rolling resistance (although this is a minor consideration in relation to aerodynamics). Trikes can flip if ridden injudiciously.

Bikes have more of a learning curve in figuring out how to balance on them. Some riders have reported that despite the disadvantages that trikes have on paper, the fact that you don't need to balance them makes them feel like less work to ride, but AFAIK, that hasn't been measured scientifically. You can go arbitrarily slow on a trike, so you can gear them way down and climb steep hills that would force you to bail out on a bike.

High-riding bent bikes can have a simpler chainline than just about any tadpole trike, but tadpole trikes have simpler chainlines than low-riding bikes.

You should test-ride as many options as possible.
Old 09-07-10, 02:28 PM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
What kind of riding do you want to do? What kind of physical shape are you in? As always test riding is your best bet.
Old 09-07-10, 05:19 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Trikes are, by all accounts, lots of fun to ride. They are more stable than 2-wheelers and so are good for those with balance problems or for riding in slippery/icy conditions. They're a hoot in corners. But by virtue of their (sometimes) larger frontal area, greater rolling resistance, and higher weight, they tend to be slower. Also, I personally am a 'big wheel chauvinist' who believes that a larger drive wheel helps a bike/trike go faster; but most trikes have small drive wheels due to side loading forces when cornering. How much slower are trikes? In my club, a group of 18-19 mph riders all got trikes and rode together. They generally average 11-12 mph on their trikes. I'm sure that not all of that drop in speed is due to the inability of the trikes to go faster, but that's at least part of the equation. Another disadvantage of trikes is transportability. It can be done, but it's a lot trickier. Recumbent riders in general tend to be mistaken for disabled people; but trike riders get it the most.

Two-wheeers are, by definition, unstable. If you ride a 2-wheeler, you WILL fall (even an upright 2-wheeler.) The trick is to only do it at low speeds, when you won't lose a lot of skin doing it. And there's the problem of trying to balance a 'bent at 1.5 mph, which can be an issue on a steep hill! But bikes are easier to transport, are lighter and faster, and don't have specialized parts that trikes require, such as one-sided hubs and kingpin assemblies. The rider also doesn't need to avoid obstacles with three wheel tracks: there's only one wheel track with a 2-wheeler.

Both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. The question is, which set of disadvantages are you most willing to live with in order to get the advantages that go with them?
Old 09-07-10, 05:31 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
This spring I bought a short wheelbase recumbent. Part of my reasoning was that it would be easy to transport. This weekend I had the opportunity to test a couple of trikes and to see how fast and compact the folding ICE operates. For ease of transport and storage, my SWB doesn't even come close.
Old 09-07-10, 07:27 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all the info

To be perfectly to the point, a Trike looks like fun to me because it looks like a road-going go-kart.

I'm in fairly good condition. I commute by bike daily, and generally do a longish 40-50 mile ride on the weekends. I cruise around 16mph, but I'm not out to be a speed demon...on a road bike I'm a 'sport touring' kind of guy. I ride primarily C&V bikes, so most of the technology like disc brakes and steering linkage on these 'bents is pretty new to me.

What I want to do on a recumbent is go for long 60+ mile treks, and to tow a trailer for self-supported touring. I've got the (possibly mistaken) perception that recumbents are faster or will let you go longer distances. Also the thought of climbing the biggest hills i can find and turning around and bombing down them on a hopped up Big Wheels is pretty appealing.
Old 09-07-10, 08:37 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
a group of 18-19 mph riders all got trikes and rode together. They generally average 11-12 mph on their trikes.
For whatever it's worth, on a 37-mile flat route where my average speed is in the 16-17 mph range on my racing bike, my average speed is in the 14-15 range on my trike (riding solo in all cases). I'm still pretty new to riding any type of recumbent, and still developing my 'bent legs; from what I've been told, a trike is about 1 mph slower than a bike, and judging by my rate of improvement that seems reasonable—pessimistic, even.

What I want to do on a recumbent is go for long 60+ mile treks, and to tow a trailer for self-supported touring. I've got the (possibly mistaken) perception that recumbents are faster or will let you go longer distances.
I got my trike for long-haul touring myself, although I'll just be using panniers, no trailer (consider that if you get a 2-wheel trailer, you've got 5 tracks on the ground). I can confirm that all the little aches and pains that tend to accumulate in the neck, wrists, shoulders, and back are absent on a 'bent trike, even after 60 miles that include 20 miles of the roughest, washboardiest chipseal that I can find. So I don't think a 'bent is faster, but it may leave you feeling fresher when you get where you're going—that's what I'm counting on, anyhow.

Descending is fun. I've always said that racing bikes are mostly steered with the hips—you don't really want much input on the handlebars. Obviously that's not true with a trike, but when you're descending fast, you really need to get into a zen state of mind where your inputs are smooth and minimal. Flipping a trike at 45 mph would not be fun.
Old 09-08-10, 02:44 AM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I toured with trike once, its such a personal thing, what works for one person doesn't work for another.
To me trikes are just too slow, I don't like the closeness to the ground, I don't like the width, and I don't like the fact that I am stuck in one position. What I do like is the fact that I can go up hill reading a novel or watching Murder, She Wrote on my portable

Honestly I found a trike to be too boring, but they work for a lot of people. If I were to get another trike it would be for short jaunts, kind of the equivalent of a beach cruiser. For the record I had an older Catrike Road.

As far as bents being faster, again that totally depends. If you are sitting on a painful saddle and barely feel like riding, you aren't gonna be a speed demon. if you were to break out scientific testing, they would be faster on paper if you live in a flat area and have a very aerodynamic one (a fairing or a low racer) and/or headwinds were an issue. More comfortable? Duh!

Still, speed for a lot of people is a mental thing, if you feel good on your ride you're gonna go faster!

Last edited by Aquakitty; 09-08-10 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-08-10, 11:19 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
One argument in favor of bicycles is that riding one can help to maintain and improve your sense of balance, which might be helpful in avoiding a fall or injury when not cycling.
Old 09-08-10, 02:32 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
This past Sunday morning I was out riding in the south end of the valley on my Greenspeed GTO trike when I saw a garage sale sign and decided to take a look. I didn't buy anything but the seller was curious about my trike so I let him take a ride. He didn't go very far or really fast but the grin on his face was immense. One ride and he wanted one of his own. It is not an unusual response but the sobering thing is the cost. I own several recumbents, both two wheeled and three wheeled. Most were bought used (1997 Linear long wheelbase, 2002 Haluzak Horizon short wheelbase, 2003 Whizwheelz trike, and 2001 Greenspeed GTO trike). None of the two wheeled recumbents cost more than $1K and both of the trikes cost several times what I paid for the two wheelers. I almost never take the Linear or Zak out on the road any more but ride the heck out of the GTO. A bike that gets ridden is worth far more than one that hangs from the ceiling of the garage, no matter what the relative cost of each. BTW, I bought the first trike after getting two very painful hematomas on my hip from crashing the Linear. I learned to be very careful to avoid any situation which would cause the bike to slide out from under me, something I don't have to worry about at all on the trike.
Old 09-09-10, 10:24 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At our house it's trike and bike.

With both two and three wheels I highly recommend long test rides before purchase.
Old 09-14-10, 06:43 PM
Bobsk8

Bikes: Rover 8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode bikes for many decades. Just got a Trike, and I am addicted to it. Sold my Tailwind one month after getting my Terratrike Rover.
Old 09-21-10, 05:57 PM
Danielpeper

Bikes: bikeless, worse trikeless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a Silvio Cruzbike, but I couldn't adapt to the front wheel drive.It was fast, but unstable. YMMV. Researched recumbents on the forums, and became interested in trikes. Ended up being won over by an ICE Adventure fs. It has full suspension that handles rough roads. And it folds, which enables me and my brother to take them with us on trips. Both trikes fit into a Pontiac Vibe. (Toyota Matrix) I prefer to ride on trails, but do ride surface streets. (And sometimes sidewalks. Shhh.) Been stopped by many folks curious about the trike, and I love it. I do intervals when I ride alone, and take a leisurely ride when my brother rides with me. May get a LWB recumbent like the RANS Xstream to ride with my roadie buddies, but then again I may just keep trikin'.

Last edited by Danielpeper; 09-21-10 at 05:59 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 09-22-10, 12:28 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not riding a trike, but they look good to me for windy conditions, the closer you are to the ground, the lighter the wind. The Aussie Greenspeeds look really good. Amazing gearing options.

I don't think anybody has gone to carbon. It's the next obvious step.
Old 09-22-10, 03:05 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
What I want to do on a recumbent is go for long 60+ mile treks, and to tow a trailer for self-supported touring. I've got the (possibly mistaken) perception that recumbents are faster or will let you go longer distances. Also the thought of climbing the biggest hills i can find and turning around and bombing down them on a hopped up Big Wheels is pretty appealing.
Assuming mixed terrain you won't be faster on a 2 wheel bent than a DF on a day of touring. If you are riding a trike you'll certainly be slower.

With regards to going further in a day that depends if you have trouble going 60 miles on a DF touring bike in a day. If you don't then you are probably going to end up further down the road on a DF touring bike and perhaps a 2 wheeled bent if the climbing isn't too tough. You'll ride less on the trike because of a slower avg speed.

If discomfort on a DF touring bike limits your daily touring mileage you may indeed find you are able to ride father each day on a bent due to the different ergonomic position.

Having owned many DFs and many bents [no trikes though] I prefer to tour on a DF. I can climb more easily on the DF and I can cover up to 140kms a day without any discomfort which is about as far I car to ride on tour. I also like being able to move around on my bike which is much easier on the DF.

You note you were attracted to the go cart like handling of a trike. It's definitely worth a test ride. I've helped my boss buy a Catrike and I really enjoyed all my test rides. It's really a hoot to zoom around on 3 wheels so close to the deck.
Old 09-23-10, 09:22 AM
LWB_guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As an adult, I have never ridden a trike. So I am going to recommend you go with a bike. Get one on which you can easily put your feet flat on the ground when you stop at a traffic light.
Old 09-23-10, 09:35 AM
LWB_guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are C&V bikes?
Old 09-23-10, 11:03 AM
flypaca
flypaca

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn paramount tandem, touring tandem French frame,MTB style tandem, Several solo bikes including a Kabuki from the 70's

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
C&V classic and vintage/ usually means steel frame and older geometry very often concidered better for touring and randoneering(sp)
Old 09-23-10, 04:48 PM
Trikin'

Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
TRIKE.........Catrike Trail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
June 6 '10 003..jpg (95.1 KB, 47 views)
1999-12-31 005 003..jpg (93.4 KB, 54 views)
1999-12-31 005 023..jpg (103.6 KB, 49 views)
Old 09-24-10, 12:37 AM
Oscuro

Bikes: LHT, International, 310

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by flypaca
C&V classic and vintage/ usually means steel frame and older geometry very often concidered better for touring and randoneering(sp)
I don't think they are really considered "Better" for touring or randoneering actually, just some people prefer the look of slender tubes, the level top tubes, nice lugs and polished alloy. Or the older styles of unique frames. A lot are believers that steel bikes ride the best, and others....are just cheap scrooges looking for amazing deals.
Course, there are guys who just like older things period, whatever they are made of.

C&V section here generally covers anything from the early 90s and older.

...I want a trike in my stable
Old 09-27-10, 08:53 AM
Danielpeper

Bikes: bikeless, worse trikeless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my trike in April, but did not start riding it until June. Having been riding an hour or two a day.
Is it fast? It can be if I push the pedals fast enough. Do you really care if your average speed is 17 mph rather than a brisk 15 mph? Only you can answer those questions.
To me, the trike is the perfect marriage of sightseeing, fun, and exercise. Its superior aerodynamics gives it an advantage over DF's going downhill and into headwinds.
It is able to give me what I want out of a ride, whether it is a training run, or a leisurely ride through our small downtown.
I will always have a trike; can't imagine ever giving up on it.
Plus, the trikers I have met are the most helpful, supportive folks I've known.
Trike on!!
Old 09-27-10, 03:00 PM
Bobsk8

Bikes: Rover 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding up rights and bents for decades. I got a Terratrike Rover 8-speed about 7 weeks ago, and have about 700 miles on it already. It is the most fun I have ever had on an HPV. I am about 1 1/2 mph slower on the Trike than I was on my Rans Tailwind, but it is twice as much fun.
Old 09-30-10, 11:19 AM
windmiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two years ago I bought a secondhand but pristine condition ICE T trike. Only did about 750 miles on it and enjoyed the experience on the whole. However I found it totally impractical for city riding due to the low height and rubber necking attention it invited. Most of the curiosity was positive but I did have to deal with a few nippleheads.

I now own a Bacchetta Giro 20. Done 3000 miles on it over the summer. With care it can be used in the city, but it's true home are the lanes and hills of Northumberland, where it can induce big grins all day. Can also mangage to keep up on group runs average 20mph.....even puts on a better than expected show at hill climbing...I think uprights find this part most disturbing...
You still get a lot of attention on a two wheeled bent...But I can va va voom! to the next horizon before the neds have worked out what they are looking at.
Old 10-03-10, 11:21 AM
steveindenmark

Bikes: 2008 ICE QNT, TREK FX7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my first post on this site and so I will say first of all that what I say is only my opinion. That is unless my girlfriend is looking over my shoulder and telling me to type things in which case her opinions are my opinions...yes darling I wrote that ;O)

I have an ICE QNT trike. I bought it this year and it is my first recumbent, I am 52 and pretty fit. I also have a very nice TREK streetbike. The difference is like chalk and cheese.

The TREK is faster along the flat and uphill but the ICE is faster downhill. When you reach a hill with the trike the only thing you can do is find a low gear and keep spinning.

You can put loads of luggage on the trike and not even realise it is there, unlike a 2 wheeler.

I can sit and drink coffee, eat my lunch while I am riding the trike. I can stop and rest anytime I want without getting off and that is a big advantage. I have stopped and fallen asleep in the sun while sitting on the trike.

I can ride 60 miles a day on the trike and get off as though I have not done anything and I can do that day after day. There is no leg ache, back ache etc, associated with a regular 2 wheeler.
My view of a trike is that it is built for comfort and not speed. You can relax and take in the surroundings and just chill out. A recumbent bike is to get somewhere a lot quicker.

Here is a clip of me on my ICE...if it works.

Steve

Old 11-07-10, 02:20 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Count me in as a lifelong DF rider with an equally long-standing curiosity about 'bents (I became curious with the early 'bents in the early 80's).

I have never ridden one, but have really become curious again in the last 5 years or so.

I like the idea of a trike or quad for the stability, but get a bit freaked out by the practicality and safety of riding such a low-slung vehicle in traffic or on MUP's. It is quite possible that these concerns are my own fabrications or projections, but I have repeatedly tried to visualize myself on a trike while riding my DF, and have wondered about visibility and footprint. For example, riding in the city, where parked cars are commonplace along most streets, I'd imagine a trike would be almost invisible (even with a flag) to cars entering the roadway from parking lots or side streets/alleys when compared to a DF with a front blinkie on the bars. I'd have to have a 3 foot extension on a trike to get a blinkie up that high, and my body wouldn't be visible. I've also wondered about the practicality of maneuvering a trike in heavy traffic, where a DF can offer alot of flexibility. Again the low position (I would imagine) would be pretty unnerving - sitting at wheel level of a bunch of vehicles who cannot see the rider, even worse so with SUV's.
So, that is my main concern with the trikes.

The two - wheeled 'bents sit a bit higher, and would seem to be more maneuverable than a trike. However, the 2-wheelers seem to pose their own issues - stability being the primary one - particularly at slow speeds, such as on busy MUP's or in heavy traffic. I shudder to think about losing my balance in traffic, though I realize the same could happen on a road bike.

So, concerns aside, I'm really intrigued with 'bents. I like the idea of being more upright, with no neck strain and more visibility.

Are there any here who have any urban exposure on their 2 and 3 (and 4) wheeled 'bents who can share experiences, things to consider, etc?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.