Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How do you get your wife/gf to love biking?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-07, 10:46 AM
BAH

Bikes: xtracycle

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a question I get asked fairly frequently riding around town, and also on bike forums. I can't say that this will work for everyone, because my wife is from the awesomeness factory anyway, but these are suggestions that I have- things that worked for me.

Don't start her out on a 100 mile ride on a racing bike. Don't start her out on a epic mtn bike ride. Or anything close.
It all began when I bought Sara a nice, comfortable cruiser ride and we puttered around town together. I wanted to spend more time with her, but also wanted to be on some kind of bike(I come from a mtn biking background-whister/northshore/downhill stuff) We did this for a while on nice sunny days, riding in places that were somewhat scenic/fun, no traffic etc. We could ride slowly, talking about whatever and just enjoying ourselves. Then we started going on bike dates- to restaurants etc.It wasn't very long before she wanted to start riding to her work. She started doing this every day and now it's out of control She has 3 bikes now, buys clothes(regular clothes- not goony biking duds!!) that will look good while riding. She has started to accessorize to match her bikes now too

Her latest purchase

Her latest and (current)favorite bike

Now we can't go on any vacation without bringing bikes along

Give it a shot, a biking wife is a happy life

Old 11-05-07, 10:56 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, she does look stylish on her bike!

This weekend, my commented that she couldn't understand how people could ride on the streets in traffic. She doesn't like riding in traffic herself. We talked about it and it seems that people like me grew up w/ their bike as their only means of transportation (ride to your friends, ride w/ your friends to the park to play ball, ride around w/ your friends to explore, etc.) while she grew up riding only in the park or just around the block. For me, it was transportation when I was 8 years old and for her, it was recreation, something to grow out of like playing w/ dolls. We do ride together, but only for recreation and mostly in parks since she's uncomfortable with riding in traffic.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 11-05-07, 11:04 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Wow, she does look stylish on her bike!
What bike?
Old 11-05-07, 11:21 AM
Marylandnewbie

Bikes: Fuji Supreme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After re-reading the thread twice I did finally notice the bike in the last pic. I think you seemed to follow all the suggestions I have seen on BF and elsewhere about brining new riders into the fold.

It is unfortunate that it is often seen as an issue of bringing women into riding. Of all the sports/athletic activities that a couple could likely engage in, bicycling is probably the most egalitarian for the sexes. Gearing and good riding skills largely offset much of the muscle mass differences men may enjoy in other sports. Plus it such a flexible sport -- you don't need to reserve a court, organize a team, or join a league.
Old 11-05-07, 11:38 AM
JoeyMac
Viking Warrior

Bikes: 60's SpaceLiner, 60's Ross Futura, 60's Sears spyder, 70's Zebrakenko, 98 Ross Chimera Hybrid, 90's Schwinn Frontier, and ThunderHorse, my trusty mountain steed, also my gf's 64 Schwinn ladies cruiser and her purple lowrider are at my disposal.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had been trying for a while to get my gf out on a bike with me, with little success. She had her mom's old 64 Schwinn Co-Ed 3-speed, which is a beautiful bike, but it was slightly too tall for her, and she wasn't comfortable with not being able to keep her feet on the ground when she was stopped. So I found her a lowrider (with a banana seat), and then converted my childhood bike into a lowrider, and now we go out on lowrider cruises. And we look totally badass together
Old 11-05-07, 11:41 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Very nice. I've found that my wife isn't a huge fan of riding a bike for the sake of riding a bike. But she's happy to go someplace fun. Pre-kids, we'd ride to the movies, River Cats' games, that sort of thing.

Seems to me that the best thing is to make sure she's on a comfy bike and to let her choose the destination and set the pace.
Old 11-05-07, 11:48 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If it weren't for the glare from the water washing out the frame/logo, that last shot could be a billboard for Electra bikes. Quite an awesome picture.

My fiancee can't ride due to some past injuries, but she loves (that I love) cycling. Yeah, it drags me out of the house early on the weekends, and I spend evenings on the stationary 'bent instead of next to her on the sofa when we're watching TV, but she keeps talking about how awesome I look since I lost 30 pounds this year... so I don't think she's complaining too much.
Old 11-05-07, 11:53 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What bike?
+1....Sheeesh. Makes my heart skip a beat.

For me, the best you can hope for is to get her to accept and support your own biking. She will do what she will will, but odds are it will not be the same thing you are into. This, despite the fact that most women pretend to like these things during that dating period. That's ok, I guess. I pretended to be romantic .
Old 11-05-07, 12:32 PM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's the ticket - let her discover a love for cycling herself. You can't force it on her (or anyone, for that matter), or they will resist and you'll fail.
Old 11-05-07, 01:01 PM
macdonwald

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So is that leather purse-y thing the outcome of the "fancy panniers" thread? Not a bad outcome, I might add, though she'll be hard-pressed to fit a load of groceries in there...
Old 11-05-07, 03:27 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I don't know about getting the wife to "love" cycling... but you could always sell her car.
Old 11-05-07, 06:59 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife was a dedicated couch potato. Partly for that reason, and partly due to her anger management problem, she's now my ex-wife.

Jack LaLane says that more marriages break up due to differences in energy levels than any other single reason.

My last 4 girlfriends have all been cyclists (and runners, triathletes, etc.). There's nothing like sharing your passion for the sport with a woman who is trim and fit and understands and supports you in your dedication to fitness.
Old 11-05-07, 07:22 PM
Bruce_B
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BAH
That photo looks like something out of a catalog. Very nice.
Old 11-05-07, 07:28 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife loves to ride and she really wishes she could ride with me but it's really not possible at the moment because we have a young son at home. So, when I ride I usually ride alone or with friends but not with my wife. Maybe in a few years we can start riding together again. I'd like her to get a road bike but she is resisting it. She has this irrational fear of skinny tires for some reason...
Old 11-05-07, 07:39 PM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SDRider
My wife loves to ride and she really wishes she could ride with me but it's really not possible at the moment because we have a young son at home. So, when I ride I usually ride alone or with friends but not with my wife. Maybe in a few years we can start riding together again. I'd like her to get a road bike but she is resisting it. She has this irrational fear of skinny tires for some reason...

We got one of these with the bike attachment so I can tow our little one in it. It has room for toys, picnic lunch, diaper bags.....
Its not recommended for very young children atleast not until they can old thier head up.
https://www.chariotcarriers.com/html_english/cx2.htm
Old 11-05-07, 07:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I'd like her to get a road bike but she is resisting it. She has this irrational fear of skinny tires for some reason...
Why not encourage her to ride first by not disparaging her choice in bicycles. Get her what she wants; not what you think is best for the wife of a Real Cyclist.
Old 11-05-07, 08:13 PM
ginsoakedboy
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get her one of these:

https://www.bikebiz.co.uk/news/23480/...r-at-Interbike
Old 11-05-07, 08:24 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why not encourage her to ride first by not disparaging her choice in bicycles. Get her what she wants; not what you think is best for the wife of a Real Cyclist.
What makes you think I disparage her choice in bicycles? I'd just like her to be able to set a comparable pace which she is more than capable of doing were she on a comparable bike. I've ridden centuries with her best friend (rode my first century with her in fact) and we've both tried to get her on a road bike. I think if she tried it she'd enjoy it.

My wife has a Trek mtb I bought her a few years ago with platform pedals that she almost never rides. It's funny though, she won't ride it at all and then she'll go out and do 80 miles with the aformentioned best friend. She's run the LA Marathon twice and she generally does 2-3 half marathons a year along with working out 6-7 days a week. She'd be great on a road bike...

Oh, and when have I ever stated that a "real cyclist" only rides a road bike? I'd love to see you dig up the post because I've never said that.

Last edited by SDRider; 11-05-07 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-05-07, 09:05 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can lead a horse to water.
Old 11-05-07, 09:13 PM
newbojeff
Commuter First

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bike, my wife watches the kids. My wife plays soccer, I watch the kids. We are both fit and happy and have hobbies we love. Occassionally we see each other.
Old 11-05-07, 09:24 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When my wife is not working she is permanently glued to her recliner. I've tried but as with trying to get her to eat better it is a complete failure.
I do my thing. She does her thing and later we have family activities.
Old 11-05-07, 10:29 PM
maximushq2

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, Specialized Rockhopper Comp, Gt Timberline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
You can lead a horse to water.
Just don't let your wife or girlfriend hear you call her a horse.
Old 11-05-07, 10:31 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
BAH, I can see that Sara is clearly wearing (for those of us who don't wear special bike clothes) a totally appropriate and practical outfit for a non-rainy ride. I know you guys just see gorgeous, but I can also see the practicality. The sweater is warm enough but not too thick, the tights and boots do a great job keeping the legs warm but not too warm, and I'm thinking that skirt may have something in it that gives it a bit of stretch and yet doesn't blow around in the wind. When you were at Clever Cycles, did Sara get into a conversation with Martina and/or Rachel about practical bike clothes for women that don't look like bike clothes? I can sure spend a lot of my time there in such a discussion...

As to picking out the right kind of bike, my brother sent me off with his fiancee thinking she'd be somehow convinced a road bike (like his) was the only way to go. That's not what happened.

"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 11-06-07, 03:09 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
I would love my wife to come out and ride with me but she just doesnt like to ride, its just not "her thing" Throughout the years Ive bought her bikes that SHE liked and built her more than a few bikes but she has never ridden any of them more than once I just put her cool little Panasonic with a flip flop hub in storage supposedly for the winter but more than likely I will end up either selling it or cannibalizing it for parts come spring It doesnt affect our relationship, shes my best bud =) we spend a lot of time on vaca now that our oldest is married and our little one is 19 and on her way out too, we just got back from a Cruise to the Bahamas, six days of fun in the sun for her and sea sickness for me! Noel, gotta love those tropical storms! LOL! By the way, BAH, BEAUTIFUL! Oh yeah, the bike is nice too!
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 11-06-07 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-06-07, 05:04 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

What makes you think I disparage her choice in bicycles?
Did you tell her all about her "irrational fear of skinny tires" or was that just comment about her choice for the amusement of the in-the-know BF cognoscenti?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.