Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Weirdest...commute...ever.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 01:05 AM
cradduck
This town needs an enema.

Bikes: Bridgestone 400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The campus for the hospital I work at is the size of a small amusement park. There are a little over a quarter mile of roads from the front of the hospital (where my desk is) to the main road home (Pacific Coast Highway). Today, a fellow employee wearing scrubs is driving in front of me also leaving the hospital and she is driving *extremely* slow. There is no other traffic on the two lane road this time of day so I decide to go around her; passing on the left after making sure the road was clear ahead. Something I wasn't expecting is that she literally hit the gas and drove her car over to the left side of the road to prevent me from passing her. I back off and return to the right side of the road and she strays to the middle of the two lane road. Once again she starts going extremely slow...to the point where riding in a straight line is becoming a task. I decide to try and pass her on the right since she has decided to drive in the middle of the road, but when I go to pass her she hits the gas and swerves to the right and brushes against the curb. I back off once again and decide that she can go as slow as she wants because I am not going to pass her.

Once we get to PCH we both turn right and she momentarily gets stuck behind a line of cars (I am now happily in a bike lane) but still attempts to cut me off by driving at an angle into the bike lane as she brakes behind the line of cars. This time I mash the pedals as hard as I can and slip between her car and curb before she can close the gap. She catches up to me at the next light and stares at me like I just kicked her puppy...what gives? I don't know the person and I doubt she knows me so I reallly don't think it was some kind of joke. Was I hurting her day by passing her? I was having a hard time just trying to understand what the hell was going so getting a license plate didn't cross my mind till much later.

....15 minutes later...
I get to the downtown area and notice three college age girls in a car hooting and hollering and laying on their horn in a car stopped at a red light ahead of me. I pass them in a line of traffic at a red light but they catch up to me and maintain the same speed as me for about a block. The girls in the front seat are smiling and laughing and waving...and that's when I notice a thumping on my rear end. It turns out the girl in the rear passenger seat of the car is leaning clear out the window and swatting my ***** with a...(get this)....a fly swatter. After a few more thumps on the butt they were gone. I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard and was still able to pedal a bike.

I really should have found some way of thanking them for making me laugh. Some days at the hospital are crap...and today qualified for sure. A good, gut shaking laugh was the perfect remedy.
Old 06-25-08, 01:24 AM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is pretty weird.

I would be a little concerned about the employee wearing scrubs and I suggest you actually try and find out who she is and what her problem with you is also. I would also take a work collegue if you go and see her. To try and intimidate a fellow employee is not usual behaviour at all.

The second encounter also constitutes assualt on you but I guess you are not bothered about that.
Old 06-25-08, 02:08 AM
cradduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The woman in the scrubs is a little concerning indeed. I will give a description of the women and the car to security tomorrow. Half of the security staff commute by bike to stay in shape and have a history of being proactive about cycling related issues on the campus. Every department wears a different colored scrub set so they will be able to find her rather quickly I imagine.

There was absolutely no malice with the girls in car and fly swatter. They were being funny and cute and they werent driving unpredictably or crowding me to the curb. It's a part town during the summer and the girls were just having some harmless fun. No Big D.
Old 06-25-08, 04:38 AM
ilmooz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The nut in the scrubs needs to be dealt with before she decides to escalate her actions on a future encounter.

As far as the other incident, you might try hanging a no pest strip on your saddle. You might have a bug problem you're unaware of.
Old 06-25-08, 06:22 AM
keiththesnake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope the nut job from work doesn't kill you next time. I'd take a different route until you've got her handled. Good luck.
Old 06-25-08, 06:35 AM
HOV
Large Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In regards to the fly swatter, if you look like this:

You had it coming.
Old 06-25-08, 06:38 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
For sure deal with the nut job. Did you get a plate number? Doesn't sound like it. That behavior borders on assault, and it's certainly reckless driving and impeding traffic.
Old 06-25-08, 06:40 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I hope you settle things with your coworker. That's very dangerous and needs to be addressed.

But from the bizarreness of her driving, I'll bet that her day was already a real nightmare. Driving that slowly? I have to be extremely depressed to do that.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-25-08, 06:58 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
WELL ... the nutter in the scrubs can be found and dealt with.

Schizofrenia is not fun.
Old 06-25-08, 07:01 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cutting you off on the road was rude. Trying to cut you off on a bike lane was illegal.
You should probably do something.
Old 06-25-08, 07:05 AM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for the second incident, I'll take that kind of abuse all day. And if I were single, I might ask if I could return the favor.
Old 06-25-08, 07:07 AM
devildogmech
YAT-YAS

Bikes: Old Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it comes to people like the dork in the scrubs, I just pull over and wait a minuet or two..... my time is not worth getting killed over.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
Old 06-25-08, 07:11 AM
HOV
Large Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by huhenio
WELL ... the nutter in the scrubs can be found and dealt with.

Schizofrenia is not fun.
No kidding. Plus, that same person may be responsible for providng health care...!
Old 06-25-08, 07:27 AM
twinquad

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Dean el Diente

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My guess - she wanted to teach you a lesson. If cycling is common on your campus, she's probably annoyed about coming up behind cyclists and having to engage her brain in order to get around them, so she wanted to demonstrate to a cyclist what it's like to be inconvenienced. You just happened to be the unlucky one she encountered that day.

Maybe the second incident was about teaching a different kind of lesson...
Old 06-25-08, 07:30 AM
Hydrated
Reeks of aged cotton duck

Bikes: 2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
For sure deal with the nut job. Did you get a plate number?
That's not the plate number you want. You need the plate number of the chicks who like to pat your hiney!
Old 06-25-08, 07:42 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by twinquad
My guess - she wanted to teach you a lesson. If cycling is common on your campus, she's probably annoyed about coming up behind cyclists and having to engage her brain in order to get around them, so she wanted to demonstrate to a cyclist what it's like to be inconvenienced. You just happened to be the unlucky one she encountered that day.

Maybe the second incident was about teaching a different kind of lesson...
That was what I was thinking too... especially with the puppy dog eyes there in the end.

I'm not so sure that you "report" this, but should instead seek her out and talk to her.
Old 06-25-08, 08:34 AM
thebarerider

Bikes: Trek520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
That was what I was thinking too... especially with the puppy dog eyes there in the end.

I'm not so sure that you "report" this, but should instead seek her out and talk to her.
This is what I thought as well. That encounter is pretty crazy...

I really doubt talking to her would work. She already has an over exagerated hatred of cyclists that defies all logic...I say report it and if she tries again stop and see if she moves on or tries to escalate the situation.
Old 06-25-08, 02:15 PM
Ka_Jun
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cradduck
The campus for the hospital I work at is the size of a small amusement park. There are a little over a quarter mile of roads from the front of the hospital (where my desk is) to the main road home (Pacific Coast Highway). Today, a fellow employee wearing scrubs is driving in front of me also leaving the hospital and she is driving *extremely* slow. There is no other traffic on the two lane road this time of day so I decide to go around her; passing on the left after making sure the road was clear ahead. Something I wasn't expecting is that she literally hit the gas and drove her car over to the left side of the road to prevent me from passing her. I back off and return to the right side of the road and she strays to the middle of the two lane road. Once again she starts going extremely slow...to the point where riding in a straight line is becoming a task. I decide to try and pass her on the right since she has decided to drive in the middle of the road, but when I go to pass her she hits the gas and swerves to the right and brushes against the curb. I back off once again and decide that she can go as slow as she wants because I am not going to pass her.

Once we get to PCH we both turn right and she momentarily gets stuck behind a line of cars (I am now happily in a bike lane) but still attempts to cut me off by driving at an angle into the bike lane as she brakes behind the line of cars. This time I mash the pedals as hard as I can and slip between her car and curb before she can close the gap. She catches up to me at the next light and stares at me like I just kicked her puppy...what gives? I don't know the person and I doubt she knows me so I reallly don't think it was some kind of joke. Was I hurting her day by passing her? I was having a hard time just trying to understand what the hell was going so getting a license plate didn't cross my mind till much later.

....15 minutes later...
I get to the downtown area and notice three college age girls in a car hooting and hollering and laying on their horn in a car stopped at a red light ahead of me. I pass them in a line of traffic at a red light but they catch up to me and maintain the same speed as me for about a block. The girls in the front seat are smiling and laughing and waving...and that's when I notice a thumping on my rear end. It turns out the girl in the rear passenger seat of the car is leaning clear out the window and swatting my ***** with a...(get this)....a fly swatter. After a few more thumps on the butt they were gone. I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard and was still able to pedal a bike.

I really should have found some way of thanking them for making me laugh. Some days at the hospital are crap...and today qualified for sure. A good, gut shaking laugh was the perfect remedy.

Dude...full moon, or what?!?! You'd better watch out for that lady, sounds like she may have beef with you, or be crazy. Either way, not a good situation.
Old 06-25-08, 04:34 PM
rmp5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....15 minutes later...

That is HILLARIOUS!

Was it possible to get next to that first lady at a light or something and ask her what the KCUF her PROBLEM WAS!? There is just no excuse for that. Thank God she didn't wipe you out, man!
Old 06-26-08, 10:08 AM
cradduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE...

I spoke to security yesterday and they knew exactly who I was talking. I guess that they have had other complaints/problems with her. She is notorious for parking her car to the far right of parking spaces on campus so that the passenger side her car prevents the driver of the car next to her from getting into their car. I am starting to think that this lady is some kind of weird control freak.
Old 06-26-08, 10:15 AM
545h4
Wait, what was I doing?

Bikes: '04 Haro Escape 8.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE...

I spoke to security yesterday and they knew exactly who I was talking. I guess that they have had other complaints/problems with her. She is notorious for parking her car to the far right of parking spaces on campus so that the passenger side her car prevents the driver of the car next to her from getting into their car. I am starting to think that this lady is some kind of weird control freak.
Security should boot her car...! What a PIA!
Old 06-26-08, 10:59 AM
turtle77
break-beats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, this is a good one! Please continue to keep us posted, especially if you get a chance to talk to her. I'd like to know what the **** her problem is!
Old 06-26-08, 11:19 AM
devildogmech
YAT-YAS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did they tell you who she is? Do you know what dept she works in? It would be WAY cool to "meet" her on the job and converstaionally say "Thanks for almost killing me the other day, much apreciated!"
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
Old 06-26-08, 11:29 AM
rmp5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devildogmech
Did they tell you who she is? Do you know what dept she works in? It would be WAY cool to "meet" her on the job and converstaionally say "Thanks for almost killing me the other day, much apreciated!"
No joke. "Hey...can I buy you a cup of coffee? I owe you one. I sure needed a good pants-pooping and boy you took care of that for me the other day."

Or you can just park your bike leaning on her driver's side door. Or pile all kinds of random crap up against it...trash cans, cardboard boxes, etc...see how SHE likes not being able to get in her car.

This really is quite remarkable though. It's like a new BREED of beotch. We shall call her...Uberbeotch.
Old 06-26-08, 11:38 AM
devildogmech
YAT-YAS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look! On the road! Its..... SUPERCAGER!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.