Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help I'm guessing chain rattle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-22, 02:47 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 182 Posts

I have a slight rattle while pedaling my bike which my guess would be the chain.
It makes the noise in all gears but only when pedaling. If I switch to the large
chainring I get no noise .Any ideas?
Old 08-10-22, 02:54 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Hold the rear wheel off the ground and turn the crank.
Use your ears.
Old 08-10-22, 02:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I'll go along with your supposition. Especially since the chain might be a tad slacker in the small ring. Does the rattle noise lessen when in the small front and you go to the larger cog with the most teeth on the rear?

Always done this or just started after changing something... like maybe the chain.

Truthfully though, I don't expect a bike to be a stealth vehicle. Noises don't bother me much if I know what they are.
Old 08-12-22, 07:09 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Could be the small chainring is worn out from use with a worn chain. When this happens to cassette cogs, the chain often slips off/skips under pedalling loads, but chainrings have more teath engaged than the rear cogs so are less likely to skip, but will mesh badly and be noisy.

Another possibility, although doesn't explain the reason it happens in one chainring and not in the other, is that the chain is routed improperly through the rear derailleur. I made this mistake a few years ago where the chain was riding over a little tab instead of passing cleanly underneath. Take a close look at the read derailleur and see if the chain doesn't seem to be touching something that is not a moving part - it should only contact the jockey wheels.