Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which tyre for racing?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which tyre for racing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 03:03 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Which tyre for racing?

Hello guys!
I've checked a lot of tyres but the choice is hard, so i'm here asking for the pros to help me

Details:
  • my weight is 63-65kg
  • used for both training and racing
  • clinchers type
What i need:
  • 28mm tyre
  • no limits of lower pressure since i had to run at 5psi with tpu tubes.
  • cost around 40€ per tyre... ofc less is better
  • BONUS POINTS: if the weight is around 220g
Old 04-22-23, 10:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
5 PSI or 5 bar?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-23-23, 06:52 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
It seems like a lot of people like the Continental GP5000, which seems to have a good balance of grip, rolling resistance, and longevity, so it works as a training tire. For higher performance and cost, I’ve heard the Vittoria Corsa’s good. I’ve ridden the Continental GP4000 SII and the GP5000, and think they’re fine. I’ve ridden lower end Vittorias (Rubinos and Zaffiros) and generally found them grippy, but they definitely wore more quickly. Psychologically, the Contis seem to roll faster, but without measurement I can’t really back that up.

TL;DR: racing specific tire - Vittoria Corsa; all around tire - Continental GP5000.
Old 04-23-23, 08:12 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by Iride01
5 PSI or 5 bar?
LOL... 5 bar i mean
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 04-23-23, 08:14 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by aliasfox
It seems like a lot of people like the Continental GP5000, which seems to have a good balance of grip, rolling resistance, and longevity, so it works as a training tire. For higher performance and cost, I’ve heard the Vittoria Corsa’s good. I’ve ridden the Continental GP4000 SII and the GP5000, and think they’re fine. I’ve ridden lower end Vittorias (Rubinos and Zaffiros) and generally found them grippy, but they definitely wore more quickly. Psychologically, the Contis seem to roll faster, but without measurement I can’t really back that up.

TL;DR: racing specific tire - Vittoria Corsa; all around tire - Continental GP5000.
i'am running the rubino and they are very good except they request a minimum of 7bar. a bit too much for a small rider
Old 04-23-23, 09:54 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I would put littleweight on the manufacturer's minimum pressure. Minimum pressure is dictated by the need to keep the rims off the pavement and prevent the tire from rolling or coming off the rim on hard corners. The lighter you are, the lower that pressure is going to be. Another consideration, better tires can be ridden with more pressure comfortably because of the thinner and more flexy sidewalls. (That high minimum - Vittoria's legal crew don't want 90 kg riders coming after them.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-23-23, 11:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
7 bar is just over 101 psi. Are you certain that isn't the max pressure? Or are you on a 18 mm wide tire?

I looked at Vittoria's website and it seems they don't even disclose what the maximum or minimum pressures are for their different sizes and models of tires.

Bar also doesn't give me enough precision for filling my tires. I'd be looking down to the second decimal place as I keep my tires within 0.07 - 0.14 bar or roughly 1.0 - 2.0 psi of the pressure I like to keep them at for riding.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-23-23 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-23-23, 07:33 PM
marathon marke

Bikes: Felt F65, Trek FX 7.3, Centurion Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox

I'm not sure I agree with your comparison of Vitorria Corsa vs Continental GP5000.
I've been riding the Contis for several years, and I've been pretty impressed with the tire. I recently picked up some of the Vitorrias because of a good price. But they feel slower.
This seems to confirm that:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...orsa-graphene2
Old 04-24-23, 12:06 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by marathon marke
I'm not sure I agree with your comparison of Vitorria Corsa vs Continental GP5000.
I've been riding the Contis for several years, and I've been pretty impressed with the tire. I recently picked up some of the Vitorrias because of a good price. But they feel slower.
This seems to confirm that:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...orsa-graphene2
I’ve had shops recommend the Corsa as a high performance tire, and I know it’s used in the pro peloton. I’ve never used it, so I only have bicyclerollingresistance.com and anecdotal evidence like above to go by. Just decided to pass that info along.

I have the GP5k on two of my bikes, and while I miss the grippiness of the Rubinos, I don’t miss the sluggishness or the magical ability for them to square off in the first thousand miles of lugging my lard butt around.

For a good budget tire, I really like the Conti Ultra Sport 2. No puncture belt, but seems to roll nearly as well as the GP5k. It’s been on one front wheel for 4k miles, and you can barely tell it’s been worn. And pretty grippy, too. Don’t know if the current Ultra Sport 3 is comparable.
Old 04-24-23, 08:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
7 bar is just over 101 psi. Are you certain that isn't the max pressure? Or are you on a 18 mm wide tire?

I looked at Vittoria's website and it seems they don't even disclose what the maximum or minimum pressures are for their different sizes and models of tires.

Bar also doesn't give me enough precision for filling my tires. I'd be looking down to the second decimal place as I keep my tires within 0.07 - 0.14 bar or roughly 1.0 - 2.0 psi of the pressure I like to keep them at for riding.
I can't speak to Rubinos or in 28s, but Vittoria has always been an outlier for how they actually mark their tires. These are 25mm Corsa Controls:

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-24-23, 12:20 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I can't speak to Rubinos or in 28s, but Vittoria has always been an outlier for how they actually mark their tires. These are 25mm Corsa Controls:
same tyre, but somehow mine has a different design.
so, i'am correct that the correct pressure is from 7 to 9 bar?
Old 04-24-23, 01:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
Hello guys!
I've checked a lot of tyres but the choice is hard, so i'm here asking for the pros to help me

Details:
  • my weight is 63-65kg
  • used for both training and racing
  • clinchers type
What i need:
  • 28mm tyre
  • no limits of lower pressure since i had to run at 5psi with tpu tubes.
  • cost around 40€ per tyre... ofc less is better
  • BONUS POINTS: if the weight is around 220g
Continental GP5k. The tube type. You want something for $44usd and that tire comes in right at that amount if you look around. I have no idea what it costs in Italy or Europe when delivered to Italy. The black version weighs 240g.
And it comes in black, cream, and tan sidewalls.
**the same tire comes in a few different versions so dont think the TR or other versions are what you need- those cost more.

https://bikecloset.com/product/conti...xoCm5gQAvD_BwE
https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Prix-Bl...=1&psc=1&qty=2
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-25-23, 10:02 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
In Italy Vittoria's just ,make so much sense. I weigh 64 Kg also, currently running a mix matched set:
Continental GrandPrix 5000 ( rear ) and a Mavic SSC ( in front ) < time to change it!

Old 04-26-23, 06:45 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
I’d recommend the new Michelin Power Cup 28 which weighs in at 227g.

It’s a full-on racing tire, but without going silly thin on the tread, so it’s suitable for daily riding.

It’s the evolution of the Power Road, which I used but was not really impressed with. It was fine and I never had any performance issues, but I never really developed confidence in them in terms of grip, I guess because they felt vague. They also got harsh at higher pressure— +90psi range— which was noticeable compared to the Schwalbe Pro One, my all-time favorite tire in terms of feel and performance. Tread cut nightmares there for awhile, though, the P1.

Michelin corrected all that with the Power Cup…at least for tubeless, which are the tires I’m referencing. Coming off my club’s season opener camp down in Bloomington, IN this past weekend, where it was rainy and cold, the Power Cup proved its mettle. Wet, downhill braking and cornering was very good, and the feel raised no doubts. Rainy, early spring roads are typically full of debris, but the Power Cups did not get beat up. I took one small puncture, apparently, but it sealed immediately without me even being aware until the post-ride cleaning, when I saw a little sealant spray on the seat tube. I’m running 25s at mid-80s psi, and they deliver good ride comfort.

Check out LordGun up in Brescia, who had good prices on Power Cup recently, in the $37USD range. With domestic Italian shipping, they might be in the €40s range, maybe creeping into the low €50s…dunno. I paid $75 apiece for mine, so I think LordGun’s pricing is amazing. The Michelins are always hard to find, it seems, and you know how it goes: when you want tires you usually need them, so I just grabbed them for whomever had ‘em.
Old 04-26-23, 04:56 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Training AND racing: Continental GP5000 or Pirelli P-Zero Race

Racing only: Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR 2.0 (you could train on them if your roads are smooth and your pockets are deep)
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 04-26-23, 06:36 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
I Race GP4000 and GP5000. Like them both.
Old 04-26-23, 07:14 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
I run 28mm gp5s with vittoria latex for racing and training - have had only a single flat in the last 14k miles with this combo. knock on wood! Latex tubes will improve rolling resistance by 3-5w per tire over butyl for gp5s (ime). I'm also religious about replacing the rear every 2k miles and front every 4k, and checking for tiny glass shards weekly (use super glue to fill in crevices).
Likes For ctak:
Old 04-28-23, 01:22 PM
CrowSeph

TPU tubes are meant to be used at max of 5bar. do you think is a problem to have a specific tyre meant for min of 7bar with those tpu tubes at 5bar?
Old 04-28-23, 09:53 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

TPU tubes are meant to be used at max of 5bar. do you think is a problem to have a specific tyre meant for min of 7bar with those tpu tubes at 5bar?
Huh? It’s hard to understand why there’d be a pressure max on TPU tubes, not to mention that not all TPU is the same. Do you have a reference for that?
Old 04-29-23, 01:44 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
With respect to the 7 bar minimum pressure for the Rubinos, you can definitely safely run them lower. Take your rider+bike system weight and run it through a calculator to get the ballpark of what you should run.

With respect to running higher than 5 bar on TPU tubes, I definitely run mine around 6-7 bar on a regular basis without issues.

With respect to Conti GP and Vittoria Corsa tires, I found the Corsas to be more supple with a smoother ride, but the GPs (I've only ridden GP4Ks) felt nearly as smooth and they feel faster and more responsive (all subjective). Neither feel super durable but then again I've also not gotten too many flats with either.
Old 04-29-23, 07:20 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by chaadster
Huh? It’s hard to understand why there’d be a pressure max on TPU tubes, not to mention that not all TPU is the same. Do you have a reference for that?
ridenow race formula
Old 04-29-23, 12:21 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

ridenow race formula
I wonder if you might be confusing their warning about what they call "vacant inflation," "vacancy pumping," and "empty play," all of which refer to limited inflation pressure when not installed in a tire, with maximum pressure while in use (i.e. installed in tire).

Ridenow-- at least in Amazon offering pages; I didn't see anything on ridenowtech.com-- advise variously not to inflate past 5psi or 6psi when not not installed because the tube can bubble and permanently deform. I see no warnings or limit for maximum pressure when installed.
Old 04-29-23, 12:26 PM
CrowSeph

I wonder if you might be confusing their warning about what they call "vacant inflation," "vacancy pumping," and "empty play," all of which refer to limited inflation pressure when not installed in a tire, with maximum pressure while in use (i.e. installed in tire).

Ridenow-- at least in Amazon offering pages; I didn't see anything on ridenowtech.com-- advise variously not to inflate past 5psi or 6psi when not not installed because the tube can bubble and permanently deform. I see no warnings or limit for maximum pressure when installed.
I think i misread, the instruction (here https://i.ibb.co/3BkFzhV/1682772903708-1.jpg) say do not over inflate over 5bar in case of the no-ring-lip system... what that mean? hookless rim?
Old 04-29-23, 12:31 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I think i misread, the instruction (here https://i.ibb.co/3BkFzhV/1682772903708-1.jpg) say do not over inflate over 5bar in case of the no-ring-lip system... what that mean? hookless rim?
Yes, 5bar is 72psi, the ISO inflation pressure limit for hookless rims. "No-ring-lip" seems like novel phrasing for hookless, so perhaps it's more technically accurate or a language translation issue.
Old 04-29-23, 12:54 PM
CrowSeph

Yes, 5bar is 72psi, the ISO inflation pressure limit for hookless rims. "No-ring-lip" seems like novel phrasing for hookless, so perhaps it's more technically accurate or a language translation issue.
ohh. so i have no problem regarding my 6.5 bar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.