Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Identifying vintage track frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 01:33 PM
jliet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hello,

Bought this frame for very cheap, was listed as Dolan prototype from 10/15+ years ago. Has no serial numbers or identifiers as far as I can see, though it does have Gipiemme drop outs.

Guess have no reason not to trust the Dolan prototype idea, but thought I'd share it anyway - I haven't seen many frames where the seat stays don't go directly on the seatpost.

Pictures:
imgur.com/xyCZdq0
imgur.com/eLLK8nS
imgur.com/xvgTvjo

Cheers.
Old 10-16-20, 06:21 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
No idea what a Dolan Track frame would look like (prototype or not) but let's try for a pic-assist.
That's a "fastback" style seat cluster and not sure what's up with the pinch-bolt on the drive side
is this in primer (as I think) or a thin coat of gray paint that's coming off?
MIGHT have a Cinelli BB shell, can you confirm that, and what is the BB threading? How about the seat post size (diameter)?

Old 10-16-20, 06:48 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
What location/region did you purchase the frame in? Fastback seat stays and those chainstay treatments could be an indicator of the builder. Any more detailed pics?
Old 10-17-20, 11:03 AM
jliet

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
No idea what a Dolan Track frame would look like (prototype or not) but let's try for a pic-assist.
That's a "fastback" style seat cluster and not sure what's up with the pinch-bolt on the drive side
is this in primer (as I think) or a thin coat of gray paint that's coming off?
MIGHT have a Cinelli BB shell, can you confirm that, and what is the BB threading? How about the seat post size (diameter)?

It's primer, but from what I can see (underneath) it's not been painted before, or has been stripped properly of previous paint.

Here are more pictures, specifically of the bb: imgur.com/a/WMIHwrp

It does indeed look like a cinelli bb but is missing the stamp, it's also standard 68mm british ISO thread. Seatpost is 28.2mm I think? Will need to check.
Old 10-17-20, 11:04 AM
jliet

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
What location/region did you purchase the frame in? Fastback seat stays and those chainstay treatments could be an indicator of the builder. Any more detailed pics?
More pics here: imgur.com/a/WMIHwrp

68mm bb, british standard threading, seatpost is 28.2mm I believe but need to check
Old 10-17-20, 11:05 AM
jliet

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Also, weight of the frame is interesting, considering it's a 59cm (large frame), it weights 1.88kg.
Old 10-18-20, 12:17 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
It sure looks like a Cinelli investment-cast "CCM" model BB shell, and those were sold without and with Cinelli logo cast into the rectangle on bottom, EXCEPT does not appear to have the small oval slots in the downtube or back of seat tube sockets. another pic-assist:

Old 10-18-20, 12:58 PM
jliet

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
It sure looks like a Cinelli investment-cast "CCM" model BB shell, and those were sold without and with Cinelli logo cast into the rectangle on bottom, EXCEPT does not appear to have the small oval slots in the downtube or back of seat tube sockets. another pic-assist:
Thanks for this, appreciate the help. And yep, does seem like it - almost like the oval section has been shortened/cut off in the bb. Will keep searching to see if I can find anything which looks more similar.