Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Heart Monitor Recommendations

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-23, 07:46 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts

Any of you using a Bluetooth heart monitor that actually WORKS? My Wahoo had no clue what my heart rate was at any given time. After trying every troubleshoot imaginable I threw the thing into the trash.
Old 09-08-23, 03:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I’ve been using a Polar OH1 (latest version is called Verity Sense) for a few years and it hasn’t missed a beat.
Old 09-08-23, 05:16 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I had been using a cheap MOOFIT strap for 3 years and it just died (probably the battery) and also use a Polar H10 with good results. No problems with either

The flexible strap Garmin straps last a few months and it was wonky around power lines. Wahoo? No idea.
Old 09-08-23, 05:30 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
I've been using an Apple watch for a couple of years now, seems to work well under all the conditions I've used it so far. Yet to try swimming but it's reportedly waterproof to 6'.

Not cheap but with the utility it gives me with other apps it will run (blood oxygen, Strava, timer, stopwatch, etc.) I don't mind the outlay (when I went to sell a late model Apple laptop on eBay I got so many SPAM offers I turned the thing in to Apple, got the watch in 'trade' with a few bucks to spare....)
Old 09-08-23, 06:54 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
I use a Polar 9 and it works great...much better than my Garmin or Wahoo monitors
Old 09-08-23, 07:32 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Thanks everyone! Polar was recommended by a personal friend also.

Cheers! ❤️
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 09-08-23, 12:55 PM
kcjc

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
My Magene is on hour 476.5 & my old CooSpo died after 695 hours (Ant+ version). I had an old Polar T31/34(?) that lasted for the life of the battery, ~200 hours, and went with a Garmin after it died. The Garmin that replaced it didn't last very long and had connection problems outdoors. It was on the second belt & battery, ~300 hours before it crocked. I went with a second Garmin, a hard strap (the soft strap version had frequent pickup and sticky number problems), that didn't do much better. It had problems indoors and died before the battery. I switched to a CycleOps HRM hard strap for outdoors and used the CooSpo indoors. The CycleOps had problems indoors. My ~$30 specials, Magene and CooSpo, have out lasted all the name brands and without problems. I went with Magene after the CooSpo died because it was cheaper and available. I would have brought another CooSpo but didn't want to wait (only Bluetooth models were available). Magene & CooSpo are Bluetooth/Ant+ HRM, the rest are all Ant+ except for Polar which had it's own protocol.
Old 09-08-23, 02:04 PM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
How has the MOOFIT HRM been for accuracy ?
Old 09-11-23, 05:32 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Garmin Dual HR is both ANT+ & Bluetooth. Have not had a problem with those chest straps.
Old 09-11-23, 02:40 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I use a Scosche Rhythm24 with my bike computer. It's an arm strap with both bluetooth and ANT+. Works great - comfortable, accurate and reliable. Unfortunately, I can't use my Apple Watch directly with my Hammerhead bike computer unless I do it through an app on my phone. Hopefully, Hammerhead will come out with an AW app that will allow a direct connection (other companies like Peloton and Concept2 have this). I much use the AW as a HRM for everything else (running, paddle boarding, skiing, hiking, indoor rowing, Peloton, etc.)
Old 09-14-23, 09:50 AM
WT21

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
How serious are you about monitoring? I am just casual, and find my Moofit (at $30) agrees largely with my Apple Watch and is easy to pair. I am not sure either are super accurate, but gets me a good view into relatively how much effort I'm doing and I am used to my threshold on my Moofit now, so while I'm not sure the actual bpm are accurate, I find the relative proportions are very workable.

Last edited by WT21; 09-18-23 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-14-23, 01:22 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I have a Wahoo TICKR, it is not very reliable but they will replace if not working so you might want to contact their support desk. You need to regularly clean the leads with soap and water. If they stop replacing it when it fails I will buy some other brand.

I had bought a Garmin before but it only worked with Garmin head units so I had to return it.
Old 09-15-23, 11:55 AM
ultrarunner

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I use my Garmin watch. And it pairs nicely with the computer on my Concept2.
Old 09-18-23, 09:15 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I have used Garmin and Wahoo chest strap HRMs. Both of them have worked most of the time, and both of them can have problems that are typically early in a ride, when I am not sweating enough to make good contact. The Garmin also seemed to have issues in cool dry weather, during which static electricity between the HRM and my jersey could generate really wack numbers that looked like afib. This doesn't happen to the Wahoo.

No HRM is perfect because electrical or pressure contact depends on physical parameters at the HRM-skin interface for which the HRM cannot necessarily control. I'd like to hear exactly what "reliability" tests people apply to judge the quality of their HRMs?
Old 09-18-23, 11:17 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I have used Garmin and Wahoo chest strap HRMs. Both of them have worked most of the time, and both of them can have problems that are typically early in a ride, when I am not sweating enough to make good contact. The Garmin also seemed to have issues in cool dry weather, during which static electricity between the HRM and my jersey could generate really wack numbers that looked like afib. This doesn't happen to the Wahoo.

No HRM is perfect because electrical or pressure contact depends on physical parameters at the HRM-skin interface for which the HRM cannot necessarily control. I'd like to hear exactly what "reliability" tests people apply to judge the quality of their HRMs?
My experiences echo MinnMan. I have used both Garmin and Wahoo, however Outdoors I have paired both using Ant+ to my garmin. Indoors I have only used wahoo with Bluetooth to link with my pc while doing either SYSTM or Zwift. Both HRM's and both straps work most of the time. Sometimes there are connectivity problems, sometimes erratic readings. I have found swapping batteries and wetting the HRM chest strap to both work to get them to sync with the garmin (ant+) or pc using ant+ via dongle or bluetooth.