Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

CLD vs. 6 Bolt Disc Hubs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

CLD vs. 6 Bolt Disc Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 10:20 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
CLD vs. 6 Bolt Disc Hubs

I'm upgrading wheels and am wondering about centerlock discs. All my wheels are currently 6 bolt discs, which are fine in my opinion. It appears that the higher end hubs are mostly, if not exclusively, CLDs.

With a number of bikes, interchangeability is important to me. Are CLD wheels interchangeable with 6-bolt wheels without any adjustments?

What are some of the folks' here favorite road hubs?
Old 04-17-24, 10:49 AM
Bradleykd

Bikes: '12 Felt Z85, '22 Canyon Neuron, '23 Lynskey Pro 29

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I have a sample size of 1, but going from DT Swiss 6 bolt hubs to Onyx center lock hubs, I did not have to move my brake calipers.

However, I have had to move my calipers for changing from one 6 bolt wheelset to another 6 bolt wheel set.

They'll be close, but how close depends on the hubs' and rotors' stack up of tolerances.

I assume that's what you're referencing?
Likes For Bradleykd:
Old 04-17-24, 11:03 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Originally Posted by Bradleykd
I have a sample size of 1, but going from DT Swiss 6 bolt hubs to Onyx center lock hubs, I did not have to move my brake calipers.

However, I have had to move my calipers for changing from one 6 bolt wheelset to another 6 bolt wheel set.

They'll be close, but how close depends on the hubs' and rotors' stack up of tolerances.

I assume that's what you're referencing?
Yes, thank you.

Also, are all centerlock discs interchangeable (not asking about rotor diameter, but other potential incompatibilities).
Old 04-17-24, 11:25 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5806 Post(s)
Liked 2,623 Times in 1,456 Posts
Yes it's a standard, but as noted earlier the precise location of the disc varies. If you plan on using various wheels on the same bike, you can shim the discs (or on some adjust the axle spacing) so that all the wheels match exactly and no brake adjustment would be needed with a switch.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-17-24, 11:26 AM
Bradleykd

Bikes: '12 Felt Z85, '22 Canyon Neuron, '23 Lynskey Pro 29

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Discs are the same, there are two (as far as I know) types of lock rings.
Old 04-17-24, 01:20 PM
PromptCritical 

Are the two types of lock rings interchangeable?
Old 04-17-24, 01:35 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4996 Post(s)
Liked 8,163 Times in 3,861 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
Are the two types of lock rings interchangeable?
Yes...maybe.

Both will lock the rotor to the hub. However, I encountered an issue where this type...

...rubbed against my frame at the rear hub, but this type...

...cleared just fine.

On other frames I have, there is plenty of clearance for the first type.

One of the advantages of the second type is that it uses a standard Shimano cassette tool, which many people already have in their tool box.

Last edited by Eric F; 04-17-24 at 02:04 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 04-17-24, 01:38 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 7018 Post(s)
Liked 11,032 Times in 4,715 Posts
Originally Posted by Bradleykd

That's just luck -- the six-bolt vs center lock thing is a non-factor in whether you can switch wheels without re-aligning the brake calipers. In fact, I have two sets of wheels with the same hubs -- DTS 350 -- and they put the rotors in slightly different positions.

OP: you can use an adapter to mount a six-bolt rotor to a center lock hub, but NOT vice-versa. Since most of the good rotors (e.g., Shimano Ice-Tech) are center lock, you are better off choosing center lock rotors -- they'll be pretty much future-proof. You can keep using your current six-bolt rotors with the adapters (which are cheap and almost weightless), then buy center lock rotors when you need new ones.

As others have mentioned, it's very possible that your two wheelsets will put the rotors in slightly different positions; you can either re-align the rotor(s) when switching wheels, or you might be able to shim a rotor to account for the difference in tolerances. It's no big deal.

As for specific hubs: I'm a big fan of the DT Swiss 350. You can spend a lot more money to save very little weight with other hubs (like the DTS 240s), but the 350 is pretty light. Very robust and reliable, too.

Last edited by Koyote; 04-17-24 at 01:51 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-17-24, 01:47 PM
PromptCritical 

Thanks @Eric_F & @Koyote!

Very helpful. Will eliminate extra useless parts lying around like I have for other changeovers.

I started down the 6-bolt road in 2005, and never saw the need to change until now.
Old 04-17-24, 01:57 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,993 Times in 1,924 Posts
sometimes the bolts can interfere with the fork/bracket depending on the overall design.
For the most part, i'd not worry much if one will fit or not unless it was a bicycle build that has long lead time for parts or if it's an expensive build.

Personally, I'd opt for CLD to reduce the chances of having to deal with hardware corrosion issues.
Old 04-19-24, 07:36 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 883 Times in 497 Posts
It seems that 6 bolt are getting less popular. Hopefully that doesn’t become an issue for people hoping to buy new decent quality rotors. With the service life of rotors, this probably isn’t a big deal.

Center lock change out faster, with few tools, and less chance to contaminate the rotors with your grubby little hands.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 04-30-24, 05:37 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 1,209 Times in 766 Posts
IF a caliper adjustment is needed between the two sets of wheels, you can probably fix that with shims so you don't have to make the adjustment every timg.
Old 04-30-24, 09:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 2,690 Posts
I have stuck with 6 bolts for years. I don't actually have an CLD stuff yet and no issues. Though did have an minor issue where the bike initially came with CLDs and had a magnet that was mounted on the lockring and didn't realize till the bitter end but made my own with some high heat epoxy and a strip of metal and a magnet and it works fine.

I don't hate CLD I think it is a great concept but being able to swap rotors between bikes as needed is quite nice and swapping over to CLD for everything would be expensive.