Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crush washer for 2001 RockShox SID

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 01:11 PM
SDHawk

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 126 Posts

I did my first ever lower leg service and there may be the slightest of leaks from the right leg. Any suggestions for the type/size of crush washer to get? It's a 5mm hex bolt.

Btw, when I had the bolts off during service, the crush washer didn't seem to slide off easily... not at all in fact. Any tips or thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-16-24, 08:01 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 1,103 Times in 770 Posts
Most big auto parts stores carry crush washers. I would imagine some bike shops carry them as well, plenty of suspension bikes being sold these days. Not sure if it matters in this case if it's a copper or aluminum washer as I've purchased various motorcycle hydraulic parts where the replacement washer was not the same material as the original including forks that had the same bottom bolt setup as yours and never had any issues. Not uncommon for crush washers to spread and become hard to remove from bolts so if the new one slides on easy it's not an issue.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-16-24, 09:30 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 3,055 Times in 1,527 Posts
the black plastic ring or crush washer is reuseable if its not damaged according to RS. you may find someone selling them separate but usually in the maintenance kits.I also have used oil resistant silicone sealer on the bolt threads and a smear on the bottom fork leg contact surface & worked well, after cleaning the surfaces well.https://mikesbikes.com/products/rock...3&gad_source=1
I tried this kits wiper seals & they would no fit into the fork no matter how hard I tried.RS says you must use a tool but I hammered on a socket & still no luck so I sent them back.sticking to enduro brand from RWC,but no crush washers included.

https://www.realworldcycling.com/pro...s/FSKRS30.html

Last edited by '02 nrs; 05-16-24 at 09:35 AM.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 05-16-24, 01:15 PM
SDHawk

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Most big auto parts stores carry crush washers. I would imagine some bike shops carry them as well, plenty of suspension bikes being sold these days. Not sure if it matters in this case if it's a copper or aluminum washer as I've purchased various motorcycle hydraulic parts where the replacement washer was not the same material as the original including forks that had the same bottom bolt setup as yours and never had any issues. Not uncommon for crush washers to spread and become hard to remove from bolts so if the new one slides on easy it's not an issue.
Thanks for the info and reassurance. I was able to remove the old washers with a bit of perseverance. We'll see if I can fine something that will work. First bike shop I called was nope, they only have 'em as part of kits.

Originally Posted by '02 nrs
the black plastic ring or crush washer is reuseable if its not damaged according to RS. you may find someone selling them separate but usually in the maintenance kits.I also have used oil resistant silicone sealer on the bolt threads and a smear on the bottom fork leg contact surface & worked well, after cleaning the surfaces well.https://mikesbikes.com/products/rock...3&gad_source=1
I tried this kits wiper seals & they would no fit into the fork no matter how hard I tried.RS says you must use a tool but I hammered on a socket & still no luck so I sent them back.sticking to enduro brand from RWC,but no crush washers included.

https://www.realworldcycling.com/pro...s/FSKRS30.html
Thanks a lot for the info. Yah I am going to at least use light grease on the threads, hopefully after getting new washers. These shocks are 20 yrs old and needed 28mm wiper seals. Not easy to find. I also tried generic, and they didn't work because the part that went into lowers was too small... no way it would work. I bit the bullet and bought a RockShox 28mm seals/foam. They went in with a little fork grease and a similar method to the socket thing (PVC pipe). I added oil, and it's looking pretty good. The real test will be on the bike, but I'm optimistic.
Old 05-16-24, 04:43 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 1,103 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by SDHawk
Thanks for the info and reassurance. I was able to remove the old washers with a bit of perseverance. We'll see if I can fine something that will work. First bike shop I called was nope, they only have 'em as part of kits.
If the original washer is copper you can try "annealing" it to create a better seal.
Old 05-17-24, 04:10 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 494 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by SDHawk
Btw, when I had the bolts off during service, the crush washer didn't seem to slide off easily... not at all in fact. Any tips or thoughts on that?
When the washer crushes it spreads out, so the hole that was 5.2 mm diameter is now 4.7 mm and that doesn't fit over the screw threads. Cut it with side cutters and twist it off with pliers.