Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Worth it to swap out hubs?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 07:55 PM
TheBlackPumpkin

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock - 2009 | Specialized Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 26 Posts

So the short story is basically that I had Velocity Dyads, 36 stainless spokes, brass nipples with tandem hubs made about 2-3 years ago due to having issues with the stock wheelset that came on my Roll. Quite pricey, frankly almost cost as much as the bike itself, but I weighed 450 at the time and it seemed like a worthwhile purchass and, I have 0 complaints over the wheelset.

At the end of the year, or when I drop another 50 lbs to 300, whichever happens first, I'm buying my first gravel bike, everything is pretty much running thru-axle these days especially at my price range and so my wheelset won't be compatible due to that, but I'm playing around with the idea of swapping out hubs to a thruaxle disc hub. Ultimately I'm thinking this is probably just sunk-cost fallacy and I should just either try to sell the wheelset when it comes time, or simply give the bike and wheelset to someone on this forum that's in a similar situation as I was and trying to find a solution.

What do you guys think? Worth playing musical hubs? Or should I just cut my losses?

Frankly I have no idea if it'd even be a better quality wheel than what's going to come on a 3-4k gravel bike either.
Old 05-17-24, 09:37 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked 1,982 Times in 1,177 Posts
First, Congratulations on your loss of weight! I think you will be Ok with your current ride until you hit the next milestone. When that happens I suspect all of the enablers here and in the C&V will step up and help with finding suitable products for you. Are you in the Clydesdale thread. Many enablers there to help as well. Good luck in your journey, Smiles, MH
Old 05-18-24, 01:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,623 Posts
IMO it's bad karma to take apart a perfectly good wheel.

Also consider that unless you built this 4x the spokes aren't likely the right length for whatever hub you buy.

Build the wheel you want, and decide whether to keep or sell what you have now.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-18-24, 01:54 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,167 Times in 2,012 Posts
I'd ride the new bicycles wheel set until you decide to upgrade to a new replacement set.
Old 05-18-24, 02:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4523 Post(s)
Liked 4,226 Times in 2,827 Posts
Congratulations on the weight loss, keep it up till you get to where you want to be : )
Why get rid of the old bike? Keep that and have something else to ride. That wheel set is awesome and works well for that bike and the bike has gotten you through a good bit so keep it, ride it and enjoy it.

Build a new set of wheels for the new bike that work out taking apart a wheel set is never a great option unless you have to but in this case a new wheel set makes the most sense.
Old 05-19-24, 09:57 PM
TheBlackPumpkin

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Congratulations on the weight loss, keep it up till you get to where you want to be : )
Why get rid of the old bike? Keep that and have something else to ride. That wheel set is awesome and works well for that bike and the bike has gotten you through a good bit so keep it, ride it and enjoy it.

Build a new set of wheels for the new bike that work out taking apart a wheel set is never a great option unless you have to but in this case a new wheel set makes the most sense.
This is a nice thought however I live in an apartment, have a roommate, etc. just don't have space for more than one bike.
Old 05-19-24, 10:12 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 1,316 Times in 907 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBlackPumpkin
This is a nice thought however I live in an apartment, have a roommate, etc. just don't have space for more than one bike.
You could use your weight loss as a selling point for the current bike.
It would make it more attractive to someone that was in your previous position. Maybe be a total Godsend for them?
Old 05-19-24, 10:53 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,623 Posts
Your old bike is worth far more complete than without the rear wheel.

The difference is going to be more than your cost for the rim and spokes. And that assumes the spokes will be reusable, which isn't assured.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-22-24 at 03:44 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-20-24, 10:11 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4523 Post(s)
Liked 4,226 Times in 2,827 Posts
Fair dinkum though there are a lot of storage solutions for small spaces. My co-worker had a one bedroom apartment and have 5 bikes including a big downhill bike in it and wasn't cramped up.
Old 05-20-24, 11:58 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 388 Posts
Not even on the wall or ceiling above your bed?
Old 05-20-24, 12:10 PM
TheBlackPumpkin

Originally Posted by grumpus
Not even on the wall or ceiling above your bed?
Aside from the fact it's a 2 story, my room is upstairs, I'm already hanging my existing bike on a wall, there's no floor space, yeah, no, I'm not doing that.

Aside from the fact that I really don't realistically have the space, I don't want multiple bikes to begin with. The entire point of me getting a gravel bike is one bike for everything I want to do.

At any rate looks like the consensus is it's probably not worth it and I should just build a new wheelset specifically for the new bike if I even need to.

Thanks for the insight.