Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Installed new wheelset. Disc rotor is now rubbing against disc brake mount

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-24, 07:58 AM
nonamedcyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The new hubs spacing seemed to be too small for the fork that it now rubs against the disc brake mount. In the picture, I can't even squeeze it in-between the mounting point and the rotor. Old hubs were 100mm, new one are said to be 100mm, both fit just fine on the fork.

Looking for solutions or workarounds. Steel fork of a 20' (406) minivelo. I actually thought of installing the mount on the other side but the disc caliper would be too far offset and there doesn't seem to be a mounting adaptor for that.

Local bike shop recommended I just get a new fork.

(new user so I cant post images and links directly but here are the photos imgur dot com/a/TSNIv1f)
Old 05-20-24, 08:44 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,870 Posts

Old 05-20-24, 08:47 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,870 Posts

Is the rotor by any chance shimmed (the shim(s) would be between the rotor and the hub.
Old 05-20-24, 09:41 AM
nonamedcyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the rotor by any chance shimmed (the shim(s) would be between the rotor and the hub.
By default no. It's just screwed directly to the hub. (see the photo where the wheel is removed from the fork)
Old 05-20-24, 09:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6380 Post(s)
Liked 4,978 Times in 3,426 Posts
A good fork is going to be expensive. Did the shop make the decision on what wheels you purchased? If so, make them get you a wheel with a hub that fits that fork.

If you were responsible for what wheel was ordered. You had a wheel in it before didn't you? Put them side by side and figure out what is different about the hub. Then if you can't make the new hub have similar position for the rotor. If it can't be done then send them back and just accept any loss on the return or exchange as tuition for your DIY learning.

Take some pic's of the old wheel from the side and looking down the rotor side from a above. Let us know they are in the gallery and someone will find them.

Welcome to BF

Are you certain there isn't a spacer on the other side of the hub that should be on the rotor side outside of the rotor? Or is it missing entirely. Is the OLD actually what it is supposed to be?

Are you certain that wheel isn't 110mm and you need a 100mm OLD hub?

Last edited by Iride01; 05-20-24 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-20-24, 10:18 AM
nonamedcyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
A good fork is going to be expensive. Did the shop make the decision on what wheels you purchased?

I bought the wheelset myself online. By the way, it's a Litepro Plus Kfun wheelset. 406 32spokes. There should be pictures online of what the wheelset with the litepro hub looks like.

Are you certain there isn't a spacer on the other side of the hub that should be on the rotor side outside of the rotor? Or is it missing entirely. Is the OLD actually what it is supposed to be?

Not that im aware of. I tried tinkering with the hub, Only thing easily removable is the dust covers which I did try to swap from the rotor side to the other.

Are you certain that wheel isn't 110mm and you need a 100mm OLD hub?
Im just going by the specified specs on the shop. I'll try to measure them tomorrow though. Also, the fact that both wheelset fit almost the same on the fork convinced me they have the same OLD. (Wouldn't a 10mm difference have a very noticeable gap and a flex on the fork when you lock it?
Old 05-20-24, 10:24 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 388 Posts
Originally Posted by nonamedcyclist
The new hubs spacing seemed to be too small for the fork that it now rubs against the disc brake mount. In the picture, I can't even squeeze it in-between the mounting point and the rotor. Old hubs were 100mm, new one are said to be 100mm, both fit just fine on the fork.

Looking for solutions or workarounds. Steel fork of a 20' (406) minivelo. I actually thought of installing the mount on the other side but the disc caliper would be too far offset and there doesn't seem to be a mounting adaptor for that.
Remove a spacer from the other side of the axle and add it to this side. Re-dish as required.
Or add a spacer to this side of the axle and spring the fork to make it fit. Re-dish as required.
Or re-space the fork, add spacer, re-dish ...
Or make an offset mount for the rotor and hang the rotor off the back of it.
Or make a caliper mount from a piece of steel angle.
Or have someone mill the appropriate amount off the hub's rotor mounting flange.
Old 05-20-24, 10:46 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4628 Post(s)
Liked 1,776 Times in 1,162 Posts
The rotor looks upside down. Flip it and see if that helps.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-20-24, 11:06 AM
hounslow

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Either the fork is wrong or the hub is. If it worked with the previous wheel then the new hub is to blame.As it appears to be a no name internet special that's more likely. Work with the LBS to get a suitable one to fit, it will be more expensive than no name internet crap though.
Old 05-20-24, 02:12 PM
grumpus

Originally Posted by hounslow
Either the fork is wrong or the hub is. If it worked with the previous wheel then the new hub is to blame.As it appears to be a no name internet special that's more likely. Work with the LBS to get a suitable one to fit, it will be more expensive than no name internet crap though.
It's just as likely the bike uses a proprietary front hub and the replacement conforms to standard dimensions. I've had no problems with most of the weirdly named stuff I've bought from AliExpress.
Old 05-20-24, 06:57 PM
bboy314

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 532 Posts
The new hubs spacing seemed to be too small for the fork that it now rubs against the disc brake mount.
When you say too small, what do you meet? Width of the hub, diameter of the axle, what exactly? Does the hub seem like a good fit in the fork with the brake removed?

Also, is this a sealed or loose ball bearing hub? If loose ball, it should be possible to slightly respace it to work.
Old 05-21-24, 03:56 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 338 Posts
Something is not right if the old setup worked but the new one doesn't. I feel like there's some info missing. Given that the LBS already looked at it and recommended a new fork, I'm not sure strangers on the Internet will be able to offer more useful insight with less information. The rotor does seem to be installed backwards but I'm not sure that is the culprit. I'm curious how the old setup looks compared to the new setup.
Old 05-21-24, 07:26 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 281 Posts
seems the old wheels were meant to be used with disk calipers using the 'old' side mount style and the new wheels are designed and built for the 'newer' 'flat mount' style so it won't work. looks like you are using an adapter to move from side to flat mount...perhaps using side mount calipers will work.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 05-21-24, 07:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6380 Post(s)
Liked 4,978 Times in 3,426 Posts
And comparing the two wheel hubs side by side doesn't give you any clue as to what is different?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-21-24, 08:26 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
seems the old wheels were meant to be used with disk calipers using the 'old' side mount style and the new wheels are designed and built for the 'newer' 'flat mount' style so it won't work. looks like you are using an adapter to move from side to flat mount...perhaps using side mount calipers will work.
I don't think that is a thing - wheels aren't dependant on what type of caliper mount is required.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 05-21-24, 08:42 AM
bboy314

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
This should have no bearing (see what I did there?) on wheel selection.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-23-24, 12:51 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 553 Posts
just measured several disc hubs from disc mounting flange face to the locknut... 10-11mm on a front hub, about 15mm on a rear hub.. all hubs were measured with no disc installed.
Discs are about 2mm thick, typically.

start by measuring your new hub from the outside of the axle locknut to the face of the disc mounting surface.
then measure the old hub in the same way.

update: i just measured from disc mount surface on hub to a SR fork's side caliper mount inner surface.. 16mm.
most side mount-to-post mount brackets are around 10mm, with a bit of variance between brands.

Is this fork on a BROMPTON bicycle?
if so.. all bets are off.
i just searched "litepro hubs" and litepro seems to be some sort of Brompton specialty accessory outlet...?
if the bike isn't a Brompton,... good luck... they like to Re-invent things around that place.
"proprietary engineering"...

Last edited by maddog34; 05-23-24 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-24-24, 01:45 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 359 Posts
First off, the rotor is not installed backwards, and flipping it wouldn't change anything anyway. Those things are supposed to be flat as a 45 rpm vinyl record. You can play both sides.

Second, if the fork isn't damaged then I see no point in replacing it, especially since that might not fix the problem.

Third, it is obvious there's a difference in width along the axle between the outside of the left axle nut and the rotor between these two hubs. There is a standard but I don't know what it is. At this point it probably doesn't matter. If the new wheel slips into the dropouts without squeezing, then you have to figure out how to remove some axle width on the right side and add it to the left side, and then re-dish the wheel. This is usually done by removing washers from one side and putting them on the other, behind the axle nuts. Or using a thinner axle nut on one side and adding spacers to the other. And don't forget to re-dish the wheel.

Or you can just go back to using the old wheel.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 06-02-24, 06:12 AM
nonamedcyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bumping this to ask for another option not yet said, Since this is a steel fork, is it possible to bring this to a machine shop and ask them to move the caliper mount a few millimeters?
Old 06-02-24, 07:08 AM
bboy314

Bumping this to ask for another option not yet said, Since this is a steel fork, is it possible to bring this to a machine shop and ask them to move the caliper mount a few millimeters?
First I might consider bringing it to another bike shop to visually inspect. Is adjusting the hub spacing an option?

In post #11 I asked some questions, the answers to which might help in coming up with a good solution.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 06-02-24, 07:46 AM
nonamedcyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
First I might consider bringing it to another bike shop to visually inspect. Is adjusting the hub spacing an option?

In post #11 I asked some questions, the answers to which might help in coming up with a good solution.
See the photos for reference. It means the spacing of the new hubs made the rotor is a little bit closer to the edge so that it makes disc caliper mount not fit anymore. Both the new and old hubs fit fine on the fork, only a few millimeters of difference is the problem.

Hubs is sealbearing. with dustcaps
Old 06-02-24, 10:19 AM
grumpus

Here are all the relevant measurements for disc caliper mounts on forks
https://www.peterverdone.com/wp-conte...-Standards.pdf
where you can see that the inner face of your IS caliper mount should be 4 mm outboard of the inner dropout face.
If you measure that and it's correct you should be looking at modifying the hub, not the fork. Or as I suggested above it might be good enough, and certainly easier, to just stick a spacer on the axle, before you resort to cutting and welding your frame into a non-standard configuration.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 06-04-24, 08:57 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 553 Posts
the problem is that hub, nothing else.
gold anodizing can't cover up bad design/machine work.
Old 06-04-24, 09:28 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 417 Posts
FWIW, that's an old wheelset from when Litepro still flew under the Crius banner.