Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Explain this flat tire?!?!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-24, 11:04 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts

Back in January I set up a new-to-me set of Reynolds wheels with tubeless ready Schwalbe tires. It was a little challenging to get the front sealed but the back sealed on the first try. In the several weeks after I set it up, the back only lost maybe 5psi every couple weeks. But the other day I was planning on taking the bike in to Vegas so the afternoon before I made sure I topped off both front and rear tires, set to 100psi, then put the bike on the rack on the back of my car for the night.
I wake up the next morning and go outside to leave and that same back tire that's been holding air this whole time is flat as a pancake!

I have a small compressor in the garage and it still had air in it so I refilled the tire. Still holding air today.

I checked the valve when I noticed it was flat and it was tight, not like I forgot to retighten the valve after topping off the pressure. So what the hell would cause it to just go flat overnight for no apparent reason, but then it's held air for the last two days since?

Just weird.
Old 03-30-24, 04:59 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 392 Posts
Sealant hadn’t quite made its way to a gap somewhere yet?

Welcome to the joys of high pressure tubeless.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 03-30-24, 05:03 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
100 psi and tubeless?
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-30-24, 05:39 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4428 Post(s)
Liked 4,880 Times in 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
100 psi and tubeless?
Garlic and bread?!!

Old 03-30-24, 06:54 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,921 Posts
it's likely the tape.... which is why I prefer to go with the type of rim that doesn't have spoke holes going all the way thru. I'm not fluid on what that type of rim is properly named, but I do know most wheel builders hate them for obvious reasons.
Old 03-30-24, 06:58 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
You setup in January, but no mention of sealant maintenance since then.
My guess… no or limited sealant left in the troubled tire.

Barry
Old 03-30-24, 07:59 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 235 Posts
I have had that happen with a tube. I think it was the valve, but I just tossed it and installed a new one.
Old 03-30-24, 08:55 AM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
I have had that happen with a tube. I think it was the valve, but I just tossed it and installed a new one.
I agree with this practice. But tubes have gotten so expensive.
Old 03-30-24, 01:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,545 Posts
may or may not help, but my experience with sealant and tubes is that it does not work that well at high pressure (110 or or so) for punctures, but I have had mixed success at 80 psi

I know tubeless sealant is for overall seal and for punctures, but do wonder if it is the best solution at high/er pressure road tires (remembering it was originally conceived to avoid pinch flats in high volume low pressuer (20 psi) mountain bike tires.

It would be interesting to know what on the the tire pressure calculators say for OP for her tire size, it could very well be 100psi and compare that to the max psi for the tire https://www.renehersecycles.com/tire...re-calculator/

I am looking seriously at tpu tubes..waiting to see what rene herse is about to bring out

Old 03-30-24, 01:03 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
I replace the valve core when sealant gums it up, not whole tube

Old 03-30-24, 01:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Was the bike on the car rack in a public area? Maybe some kid thought it'd be funny to let the air out and make you wonder.

Though there are unexplained times where sudden temperature changes leaves one of the tires on my car or truck flat and the others seemingly okay with the temp change. Its rare, but it happens. Just put it out as a Murphy Rule thing. If it hadn't been that, then it'd have been something else that got you.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-30-24 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-30-24, 02:29 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Barry2
You setup in January, but no mention of sealant maintenance since then.
My guess… no or limited sealant left in the troubled tire.

Barry
Sealant maintenance in less than three months? What is it I'm supposed to do? In my reading about tubeless, I should expect around 6 months between need for service. You start talking about every month or two and I'm seriously going to have to start weighing the $**t to worth ratio.
Old 03-30-24, 06:14 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
I used to run Continental GP5000 TL & Stans Sealant. Without a significant flat causing leakage, I'd get 3 months until 50% of my 40ml fill was gone.
Any flat will consume sealant shortening the time frame between sealant top off.

When Continental went to GP5000 S TR they lightened the tire by removing one of the sealing layers in inside the tire.
I could not longer get the tire to seal at all with Stan's Sealant. Tires would go soft overnight.
I switched to Orange Seal Standard and tires would retain air much better. However I'd get to 50% sealant level in only 6 weeks.

I'm now servicing my sealant level monthly on two bikes. It takes less than 15mins total to top off them both.
I would rather spend the 15min/month servicing tubeless in the comfort of my home than fix random flats beside the road.

Your tires, sealant and weather will result in a different time frame for servicing.

Hope this helps

Barry
Old 03-30-24, 06:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Valve could have been slightly off center when you tightened it, so it didn't seat correctly. Jiggle it side to side a little bit when you tighten it.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-30-24, 06:46 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4428 Post(s)
Liked 4,880 Times in 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Sealant maintenance in less than three months? What is it I'm supposed to do? In my reading about tubeless, I should expect around 6 months between need for service. You start talking about every month or two and I'm seriously going to have to start weighing the $**t to worth ratio.
It won’t be the sealant that caused this overnight flat. If it had been sitting there happily for months without going flat and then went flat after you topped up the pressure, then it will be the valve that leaked. The fact that it’s holding pressure again now also points to an intermittent valve leak. I would just change the valve core and see how it goes.
Old 03-30-24, 10:47 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by PeteHski
It won’t be the sealant that caused this overnight flat. If it had been sitting there happily for months without going flat and then went flat after you topped up the pressure, then it will be the valve that leaked. The fact that it’s holding pressure again now also points to an intermittent valve leak. I would just change the valve core and see how it goes.
Fair point. We've had some pretty crappy weather here the last few weeks. Lots of wind and rain all day today. I work tomorrow (12 hour shift) but hope to get a ride in on Monday. I'll try swapping out the valve core before I go.