Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Huret dropouts/hanger 130 OLD. What would you do?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-24, 09:32 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts

I have a 74 Grand Jubile frame I would like to build. A previous owner set the rear fork to 130mm. Is there a Huret RD with the non-Campag stop position that can shift thru 8 cogs? Failing that, what would you do? Modify hanger? Reset the fork? One thing that occurred to me is to give up on the frame. No pic but by now we all have seen pics of the Huret DO with hanger.
Old 04-01-24, 09:44 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,014 Times in 1,112 Posts
Do you already have a Huret derailleur? Will a Huret shift 7 cogs? Then use a 130 wheel with a spacer and 7 speed cassette.
Old 04-01-24, 09:50 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 98 Posts
I'd be inclined to try a DuoPar. I have a few spares you could try, if you are close enough to Seattle.

(my own Grand Jubile is in Reims.)

Old 04-01-24, 10:33 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
I would modify the hangar.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 04-01-24, 10:50 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 976 Posts
Can you modify the hub to become 130OLD, with a longer axle and a few washers on the NDS?
Old 04-01-24, 11:45 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Schwinn modified the Huret dropouts on their Sports Tourer frames to accept Shimano derailleurs by cutting a notch in the front of the hanger to hold the derailleur's pivot spring stop.

Unmodified:

Modified:

Or, if you don't mind repainting, you can build up brass on the bottom of the hanger and file a stop for a Campagnolo-type derailleur:

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 04-01-24 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-01-24, 12:02 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
You know a guy…

Heat affected zone is small, I did this mod on @Andy_K’s Motobacon and Stella. The nearby paint gets charred, But since the dropout works as a fin, doesn’t travel up very far. Some primer to protect it, the derailleur and chain hide it, so you’re gold.
Old 04-01-24, 02:19 PM
Insidious C. 

I have some parts for a mock up. Mavic 8 speed 130mm hub that I had in mind for this frame maybe with 650b. I've got two Huret RDs - a Luxe Competition (shiny but doubtful 8 speed) and a titanium duopar which I have other plans for. I will try the Duopar tho. If it works I'm guessing the Eco version would also. I will try it and report back.
Old 04-01-24, 07:58 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,913 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
I have some parts for a mock up. Mavic 8 speed 130mm hub that I had in mind for this frame maybe with 650b. I've got two Huret RDs - a Luxe Competition (shiny but doubtful 8 speed) and a titanium duopar which I have other plans for. I will try the Duopar tho. If it works I'm guessing the Eco version would also. I will try it and report back.
If you have and Eco use it. It should work nicely and cover the range OK. Smiles, MH
Old 04-06-24, 07:28 PM
Insidious C. 

The Ti Duopar fell short of the large cog with the stop screw fully backed out. My Duopar has the clocking washer for Campagnolo dropouts, but you can still get a good idea of the latteral travel even with the incorrect derailleur clocking. Large cog is 28T so I didn't bother trying the Luxe Competition.

Old 04-19-24, 08:08 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
The Ti Duopar fell short of the large cog with the stop screw fully backed out. My Duopar has the clocking washer for Campagnolo dropouts, but you can still get a good idea of the latteral travel even with the incorrect derailleur clocking. Large cog is 28T so I didn't bother trying the Luxe Competition.

What stops the inward travel of the cage is the inner travel limit screw combined with the travel stop. You can get more travel by shortening the screw or by relieving the stop that the screw bears on. You need about 3 or 4 mm more travel.

I think the surface of the dropout that the derailleur mounts to might be located too far out from the bike centerline, perhaps due to some form of added spacer. This would bias the whole mech outward, requiring the inward throw to be extended by relieving travel stops. My suggestion is a way of improving inward travel.

Generally the mechanical design of a derailleur is thought out to prevent this issue, but in custom or adapted use cases, these problems can sneak in.

Last edited by Road Fan; 04-19-24 at 08:17 AM.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 04-19-24, 02:34 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
One could perhaps tack-weld a spot of metal under the hanger to provide the "Campagnolo" stop position, really low and brief heat input this way.

If trying for more throw from the derailer, start by taking 1mm out of the drive-side axle spacing, you'll still have chain clearance!

I sometimes find a 1mm-thinner Shimano locknut for the drive side and add a 1mm washer to the non-driveside of the axle, which makes for a stronger wheel and also better chainline while reducing the chosen derailer's throw requirement.

On variants of the Huret and Schwinn Allvits for example, I have found different ways of de-restricting the outward travel, taking advantage of my having shifted an upgraded-to-6s freewheel closer to the dropout and allowing use of modern chain with a standard 6s freewheel. Point being that every derailer and bike might have a different sort of modification needed to achieve the needed range of derailer cage travel that is positioned to match the particular freewheel or cassette's position within the frame's spacing.
Likes For dddd:
Old 04-19-24, 03:12 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 450 Posts
For my Huret dropouts I just made a b-screw extender.

Went down to the hardware store and got a longer M4 screw, with a wider head, and two nuts. I snugged one nut up against the screw head, put the screw in the wrong way, and snugged it to the derailleur tab with another nut, where the original b-screw head would be.

Like so:

Extended b-screw for Huret dropouts
Old 04-20-24, 12:02 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I really like how the rear-most hex hut stabilizes the screw in the stop plate, to prevent the screw head from slipping past the stop edge.

A small washer could even be added under the screw head for better bite at perhaps even longer screw extension?

On derailers such as yours with sprung top "B" pivots, the torque on the spring plate is limited by the spring, making the screw head less likely to ever slip past the tang on the hanger.
Likes For dddd:
Old 04-20-24, 10:21 AM
Fissile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Schwinn modified the Huret dropouts on their Sports Tourer frames to accept Shimano derailleurs by cutting a notch in the front of the hanger to hold the derailleur's pivot spring stop.

Unmodified:

Modified:

Or, if you don't mind repainting, you can build up brass on the bottom of the hanger and file a stop for a Campagnolo-type derailleur:
Schwinn notched that dropout to hold a tab from an adapter washer so they could use a Suntour GTV derailleur. See here:

The adapter in question is part number 14. You can see the original thread here.

Last edited by Fissile; 04-20-24 at 10:26 AM.