Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shop Rags - Don't Laugh

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shop Rags - Don't Laugh

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 07:29 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
I wipe the ring out of the washer drum when I'm done. Wash in very hot water and run them through twice. Be generous with bleach, too. bk
Bleach? Why? It's not like whiter rags will work better, y'know? And bleach will do absolutely nothing to the (possibly) remaining particles and grease in the rags. They just make the fabric whiter.
Old 01-12-08, 09:04 PM
arborohs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use worn out sox and used dryer sheets to wipe the grease off my hands. Works good then throw away.
Old 01-12-08, 09:11 PM
tellyho
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My son was a huge spewer and wore bibs 24/7. Now that we're expecting #2, I just inherited #1s old bibs: perfect size!

I have a rotation of rags, from dirty to mostly clean, that I use and dispose. For example: gross old chain gets hit with the dirtiest, then move on to a cleaner one to finish off. When the dirtiest is gross, it goes in the trash. I haven't run out yet.
Old 01-13-08, 05:51 AM
sumguy

Bikes: 08 Novara Safari; 06 Schwinn Super Sport DBX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have a rag service at work - take a few home, bring the bad ones back. Maybe you can find someone at a shop (car parts, garage, etc) that already has this service and do it on their dime. I know I wouldn't pay for special pickups; old clothes if good go to thrift shop or used for tough cleaning jobs if bad.
Old 01-13-08, 12:06 PM
mike_khad1
Commuter Animal

Bikes: 2006 Burley Hudson, 2008 Specialized Globe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help in this. I commute to work partly to do my part for the environment (partly to lose a beer belly). So now my challenge is to figure out how to maintain my bikes in an environmentally friendly way. It's almost as dizzying as the "paper or plastic" decision at the supermarket.

As I see it:

If I wash or pre-wash in 5-gallon buckets, then what do I do with the oily, dirty wastewater? Although to be honest, I didn't think tha part through when I ran them through the washing machine. But certainly the sewer line should be much better than a storm drain.

If I treat the shop rags or old clothes as disposable, I'm filling up land-fill space with oily rags. Though in one case, I'm taking an item that may already be heading to a landfill, using them and then putting them back where it was heading anyway (though a bit dirtier).

The same landfill issue applies to disposable shop rags.

I'll make some phone calls and see if an automotive shop or bicycle shop offers some sort of exchange or cleaning service for customers.
Old 01-13-08, 12:40 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
The sad truth is, landfills are better than cleaning this stuff. The fine metal shavings (which, IMHO, is the worst part of the dirt) will end up in the water system if you wash the rags. If you put them in landfills, theoretically at least, they will stay there and slowly compact and decompose, and (theoretically I said) become part of the earth's crust like the ore they were extracted from.
Old 01-13-08, 11:50 PM
mike-on-da-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont waste time cleaning rags man much better to go find some more old t-shirts or there are so many folk around willing to give ya heaps of rag for free,you can even buy a ton of em if you need too cheap
Old 01-14-08, 12:39 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just use whatever shirt I'm wearing. Magical elves get them all clean.

It really helps with that "Pro" look.
Old 01-15-08, 02:53 PM
mcmurryjohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
The sad truth is, landfills are better than cleaning this stuff. The fine metal shavings (which, IMHO, is the worst part of the dirt) will end up in the water system if you wash the rags.
The fine metal shavings are surely not the worst part of the sludge that comes from bicycle maintenance. The solvents and greases are the real environmental nuisances.

Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
If you put them in landfills, theoretically at least, they will stay there and slowly compact and decompose, and (theoretically I said) become part of the earth's crust like the ore they were extracted from.
Not likely. Landfills have lifespans much shorter than needed for that to occur.

The real issue is if the local wastewater treatment plant can treat the contaminants adequately to prevent them from being discharged into local waters.

You could compost the nasty rags. Plenty of naturally occurring, mesophyllic bacteria like petroleum.

John
Old 01-15-08, 03:24 PM
jwill911
Riding is my addiction

Bikes: 2017 Orbea Orca,'06 Orbea Opal, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
Like RG said, I also use paper towels whenever they will do an adequate job but somethings require cloth.

What I do is gradually downgrade my cloth rags using new ones for relatively clean jobs and progressively using them for messier and messier jobs until they are relegated to wiping off the chain prior to lubing it. By the time I discard them, they are REALLY dirty.
+1 Do the same. I have an old thick cotton gym sock I've been wiping the chain of two bikes with to the point you almost need a dirty rag to pick it up to keep from getting you hands dirty.

jw
Old 01-16-08, 11:23 AM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's also a fire hazard if you use a dryer when cleaning your rags... I suppose you could just let them air dry, but i figure the hassle isn't worth it.

Another +1 for cutting up old T-Shirts or old socks for rags. Great for working on both the bike and car. Toss them when they can't hold anymore grime. Disposable shop towels (paper towels on steroids) are also useful for certain tasks.

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 01-16-08, 02:53 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey
Salvation Army. $0.99 tshirts. I'll cut them up to a variety of sizes. One shirt will yield about a half dozen rags.
+1

I've been doing this for years (except I frequently fine 'em at 4/$1). And you can even custom-cut various sized squares to clean a multitude of different caliber rifles and pistols, polish cars, etc.

Very versatile, and very economical. Plus, you can use the hell out of a t-shirt for a long time before it's too dirty to use anymore.

S. J. Perelman
Old 02-04-08, 08:48 AM
Neil Fraedrich
Gravy

Bikes: DBX-Schwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use old towels and T-shirts for my rags. I gather them into a box and when I feel the urge to be domestic I cut them into small squages 4-6 inches then put them in my rag box for use.
I feel like i am getting the most out of the material since I cut them up sort of small.
I like the terry material best for cleaning chains and sprockets.
After one use they are pretty yuked up, so I throw them into a metal can in my shop, and empty
every week into garbage.
Old 02-04-08, 10:01 AM
reckon
Banned.

Bikes: 1979 motobecane fixed, 2002 GT LTS-3 street stomper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeyLikesIt
Get a plastic 5 gal bucket and a new plumbers helper/plunger...add warm water and some Dawn liguid. 'Plunge' the rags for a a few seconds to remove most of the grease, rinse and then finish up in the washing machine. I us the blue Scott paper towles mostly for the greasy stuff, but still use the the white terry towels for eveything else.

yeah, everything he said, but I'll add that the blue shop towels from scott are GREAT for polishing as they will NOT leave a scratch mark, like most paper towels will.

(dood get outta my brain)