Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clearcoat over new decals? Or new decals over clear coat?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-08, 01:09 AM
Blutarski
FOOD FIGHT !!

Location: (Faber College) Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?...Hell no!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm stripping, and repainting an old Schwinn cruiser. After all the painting is done, should I spray the clearcoat over the new decals? Or apply the decals after the clear coat?
Thanks!
Old 01-19-08, 01:38 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are going to ride and use the bike alot I think the clearcoat should go on after you apply the decals. No expert, just the way I would do it.
Old 01-19-08, 02:07 AM
CCR
mouthbreather

Bikes: all of them

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if ya want it to look cool, decal under clear coat. if your going for an accurate restoration, decal on top of clear coat
Old 01-19-08, 07:58 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by CCR
if ya want it to look cool, decal under clear coat. if your going for an accurate restoration, decal on top of clear coat
I suppose if you are going for a really accurate restoration, you don't use a clear coat at all, just paint.

One thing to test if you clear coat over the decals; be sure the clear coat won't damage them. Some decals can be softened and disolved by the solvent in the clear coat.
Old 01-19-08, 06:32 PM
hodadmike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It really depends on the decals. I clear coated over some nice thin Italian water slide decals with great results, but some of the "decals" being sold are vinyl reproductions. They can be slightly thicker and since they're vinyl, might not allow the clearcoat to bond to themselves. I'd put those types on after the CC. Use the Search feature and you will find plenty of info on this. Check out Dr. Deltrons posts too.
Old 01-19-08, 08:56 PM
Blutarski
FOOD FIGHT !!

Location: (Faber College) Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?...Hell no!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I suppose if you are going for a really accurate restoration, you don't use a clear coat at all, just paint.

One thing to test if you clear coat over the decals; be sure the clear coat won't damage them. Some decals can be softened and disolved by the solvent in the clear coat.
Exactly. I've got some water transfer replacement Schwinn decals. I just wondered if the clearcoat was sprayed over them, it would cause them to bubble up or something? As for accuracy, it's about a 25 year old cruiser that has faided paint, and some rust. It's going to be for my daughter who just started high school, not going to a museum or anything, just want it to look clean.

Old 02-05-08, 12:01 PM
JRrestore
Professional Decal Maker

Bikes: Giant MTB, Fuji beach bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clear coat away.

Vinyl, water transfers and most other decals can be clear coated with out any problems. It is all in the technique. PM me for details. JR.
Old 02-05-08, 01:08 PM
reckon
Banned.

Bikes: 1979 motobecane fixed, 2002 GT LTS-3 street stomper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blutarski
Exactly. I've got some water transfer replacement Schwinn decals. I just wondered if the clearcoat was sprayed over them, it would cause them to bubble up or something? As for accuracy, it's about a 25 year old cruiser that has faided paint, and some rust. It's going to be for my daughter who just started high school, not going to a museum or anything, just want it to look clean.

I learned this trick from an old sign painter: leave the water transfer ON the card, do not cut out the edges yet (if you even need to as some are precut)
now LIGHTLY, and I mean LIGHTLY spray a super mist coat of POLYURETHANE clearcoat (spraycan clearcoats NOT recommended) on the surface of the decal on the card, let dry for a half hour, now another super light coat, and let dry again for another 30 minutes, repeat about four times.

now cut out the decal and stick it in the glass of water and apply to the surface
and let dry for at least 24 hours,..when you paint over that decal, it already has a protective clearcoat on it!

slick trick especially if you get some super old NOS decals that are cellulose based (those melt INSTANTLY if you apply a wet coat over them)