Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Putting miles on the new bike.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-22, 07:09 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts

I bought my Orbea Occam H30 right at the end of last year and only did two rides before winter hit and I was on my studded fat bike. Now winter is gone, and I can get in more rides with the still new bike. Still a little chilly but it only takes about ten minutes and I start to warm up. The region I live in means you're going to spend plenty of time climbing whether on the road or trail bikes. I had such a blast with her and am getting my comfortable with each ride, and I'm looking forward to logging plenty of miles on her.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 04-02-22, 10:19 PM
SteveInConverse

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
I bought my Orbea Occam H30 right at the end of last year and only did two rides before winter hit and I was on my studded fat bike. Now winter is gone, and I can get in more rides with the still new bike. Still a little chilly but it only takes about ten minutes and I start to warm up. The region I live in means you're going to spend plenty of time climbing whether on the road or trail bikes. I had such a blast with her and am getting my comfortable with each ride, and I'm looking forward to logging plenty of miles on her.
Orbea Occam H30 / Playing in the woods - YouTube
Congrats and ride as often as you can! Work keeps me pretty busy but I got to do 14 miles Friday and then found the starter on my car seized up and had to be towed lol. Still got my ride in which was the important thing.
Likes For SteveInConverse:
Old 04-03-22, 05:27 AM
classic carl
Old newbie

Bikes: 2022 Trek Emonda SL 5, 2002 Klein Quantum, 2000 Trek 8000, 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 22 Posts
The miles add up fast. I bought a new carbon Trek Emonda last fall and put about 450 miles on it in PA before my wife and I left for Florida in mid December. I brought my 20 year old Klein with me and just surpassed 2000 miles since I've been here, including over 1750 already in 2022. We're leaving for PA next week. The carbon wheels I ordered for the new bike arrived last week and I can't wait to get them set-up when I return. It's so flat here in Florida. I'm looking forward to riding the hills in PA.
Likes For classic carl:
Old 04-03-22, 06:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
that sunshine looks great! Spring & Summer! wahoo!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-03-22, 06:15 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveInConverse
Congrats and ride as often as you can! Work keeps me pretty busy but I got to do 14 miles Friday and then found the starter on my car seized up and had to be towed lol. Still got my ride in which was the important thing.
Sorry about the car. Work has been busy for me also but the weather has been the biggest interference to my riding. I have to be in the mood to ride in the rain, and with temps still a bit chilly that mood isn't good for wet chilly rides yet.
Old 04-03-22, 08:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
Sorry about the car. Work has been busy for me also but the weather has been the biggest interference to my riding. I have to be in the mood to ride in the rain, and with temps still a bit chilly that mood isn't good for wet chilly rides yet.
No worries. As I have aged, I have far less inclination to ride in the rain and all that is involved, especially cleaning and oiling the bike after. Must be getting lazy or wiser.

Likes For rsbob: