Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin 1030 still worth buying ?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin 1030 still worth buying ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 11:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The map updates don't use WiFI.
They do for other Garmin devices like my DriveSmart (formerly nuvi).

And my Edge 530 is getting map updates. Though I'd have no idea if that is through the bluetooth or wifi. I'd expect either.

So can you expound on that a little more please for us peons and lowly lay persons!
Old 01-16-23, 12:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
They do for other Garmin devices like my DriveSmart (formerly nuvi).

And my Edge 530 is getting map updates. Though I'd have no idea if that is through the bluetooth or wifi. I'd expect either.

So can you expound on that a little more please for us peons and lowly lay persons!
Garmin states all map updates are done thru Express software, USB connected to the device.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...ueA7AoYCEZF5v8
Old 01-16-23, 01:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Garmin states all map updates are done thru Express software, USB connected to the device.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...ueA7AoYCEZF5v8
No they don't state that. That page is just information for downloading and installing additional maps that you might install on your device. Not for the maps that were on your device as it originally came from Garmin.

I realized that I haven't turned on my Garmin DriveSmart for quite a while. So upon turning it on and it getting connected to the wifi, I was able to update both the software and the map. On my Garmin Edge 530, I so far can only say that I seem to remember seeing that it said it did both software and map updates on several occasions in the time since I've had it.

However that page you linked does not mean what you are trying to say it means. But I will allow that maybe I'm mistaken on the Edge 530 since I can't even find the page on the device that tells me what the map version is to even know for a fact that it's been updated.
Old 01-16-23, 02:43 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 944 Posts
I realized that I haven't turned on my Garmin DriveSmart for quite a while. So upon turning it on and it getting connected to the wifi, I was able to update both the software and the map..
The automotive ones (some of them. at least) can update maps through WiFi.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...bt4MegvC3jqNq7

There's a "Select your product to confirm this information applies to you" search on this page. The Edges all show "The content you are viewing does not apply to this device. Visit the help page for your device to see related content."

No they don't state that. That page is just information for downloading and installing additional maps that you might install on your device. Not for the maps that were on your device as it originally came from Garmin.
However that page you linked does not mean what you are trying to say it means.
No, that page doesn't say "additional". It only talks about maps you "purchased". And you purchased the maps that come pre-installed on the device.

The following says that "software updates" can be updated through WiFi ("software updates" appear not to include maps).

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...4A2FAE861.html

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/maps/updates/cycling/

I have a 1030 and a 1030+ and the maps don't get updated via WiFi. I've gotten numerous software updates via WiFi.

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...-updates-works

Here, aweatherall (definitely, an expert on the Edges) says you have to use Garmin Express.

Originally Posted by aweatherall
You need to manually select install from Garmin Express to get the updates when offered. Typically Garmin updates them twice a year. They are based of the OSM maps.
---------------------------------------------------------

But I will allow that maybe I'm mistaken on the Edge 530 since I can't even find the page on the device that tells me what the map version is to even know for a fact that it's been updated.
So, you really don't know. I do know where the map updates come from for my 1030 and 1030+ (I've updated maps numerous times).

It's not using Bluetooth: that would be much, much too slow.

(A big reason the Edges wouldn't use WiFi is because the battery charge might not be enough to keep the device running during the update. Garmin Express is very insistent that you keep the device plugged in during the update.)

The maps are listed in the Navigation > Map > Map Information in the settings for the profile. The latest maps are 2022-20.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-17-23 at 10:21 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 01-17-23, 08:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The automotive ones (some of them. at least) can update maps through WiFi.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...bt4MegvC3jqNq7

There's a "Select your product to confirm this information applies to you" search on this page. The Edges all show "The content you are viewing does not apply to this device. Visit the help page for your device to see related content."

No, that page doesn't say "additional". It only talks about maps you "purchased". And you purchased the maps that come pre-installed on the device.

The following says that "software updates" can be updated through WiFi ("software updates" appear not to include maps).

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...4A2FAE861.html

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/maps/updates/cycling/

I have a 1030 and a 1030+ and the maps don't get updated via WiFi. I've gotten numerous software updates via WiFi.

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...-updates-works

Here, aweatherall (definitely, an expert on the Edges) says you have to use Garmin Express.

---------------------------------------------------------

So, you really don't know. I do know where the map updates come from for my 1030 and 1030+ (I've updated maps numerous times).

It's not using Bluetooth: that would be much, much too slow.

(A big reason the Edges wouldn't use WiFi is because the battery charge might not be enough to keep the device running during the update. Garmin Express is very insistent that you keep the device plugged in during the update.)

The maps are listed in the Navigation > Map > Map Information in the settings for the profile. The latest maps are 2022-20.
Wow, impressive amount of information you provided for once!

Maybe a little over kill, but if it gets you out of the habit of writing post that tell others that they are wrong and nothing else, then good for you and keep at it!

I'll embrace the new you!
Old 01-17-23, 10:18 AM
njkayaker

Wow, impressive amount of information you provided for once!

Maybe a little over kill, but if it gets you out of the habit of writing post that tell others that they are wrong and nothing else, then good for you and keep at it!

I'll embrace the new you!
You clearly haven't been paying attention.

It's fairly well-known that the Edges don't use WiFi to update maps. I had no obligation to say more than I did about it.

It was really up to you to establish that they did.

Steve B provided support for what I said and you still persisted in pushing misleading information.

But I will allow that maybe I'm mistaken on the Edge 530 since I can't even find the page on the device that tells me what the map version is to even know for a fact that it's been updated.
This is you being certain about something you don't know much about. Yet, bizarrely, you think it's my problem: I said too little or said to much.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-17-23 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-19-23, 05:31 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Steve B.
No need to take hours, really.
The 1030 took 45 minutes (not "hours").

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-20-23 at 10:57 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 01-19-23, 06:45 PM
Ironhorse2022

Bikes: Domane SL6, Pivot trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Just fyi, the entire procedure (disconnect and reconnect BT) took about 5 min. I refreshed the maps via usb cable which took about 45 min. Still working properly 😁
Likes For Ironhorse2022: