Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Disc brake sounding noise

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-17, 05:01 PM
moegjlt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

I recently turned 60 and have kept fit most of my life, two years ago I was diagnosed with lung cancer and with the medication I am taking the cancer has shrunk. I gave up fitness training after I was diagnosed and have put on 3 stone.

I decided a few months ago to purchase a mountain bike a Coyote Oklahoma. This is my 3rd week of riding doing about 30 miles a week over 2 rides. I want to lose 3 stone and get back into the nice clothes I bought a few years ago.

Anyway besides riding the bike I've been reading and watching videos on maintenance. The first week riding the bike there was an annoying rubbing noise coming from the front wheel. I thought it was the disc rubbing against the pads I've looked at space between the disc & pads and that looks okay. Today I increased the spacing but the noise persists. I also noticed the noise dissipates when I sit up and take pressure of the front. I'm convinced the noise has something to with the disc brake I may be wrong but the noise like scraping your nails down a blackboard.

Anyone got any ideas.

Thanks
Old 09-07-17, 05:47 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
One trick to adjusting disc brakes is to put a credit card between the caliper and the disc after you have slightly loosened the two bolts that hold the caliper in place. Gently squeeze the brake handle and then tighten the two bolts while still holding the handle. Remove the credit card and you have the pads parallel to the disc and a short distance away. This works on discs that are not warped. On a new bike the discs should still be perfect. Some brakes are inherently noisy and you just learn to live with the noise or replace the pads with a different brand. The OEM pads that came with my Avid BB7 brakes were never quiet. The ones on my Hope hydraulic brakes were silent.
Old 09-07-17, 07:01 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Put the bike in a stand and remove the caliper then spin the front wheel to see if the noise is gone.
Find a hill get rolling down hill gently apply the brake and see if the noise is gone.
Put the bike in a stand and spray lubricant around the front axle/bearings if the noise goes away clean and relube the hub.

Best I've got. Good luck
Old 09-08-17, 05:28 AM
moegjlt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
One trick to adjusting disc brakes is to put a credit card between the caliper and the disc after you have slightly loosened the two bolts that hold the caliper in place. Gently squeeze the brake handle and then tighten the two bolts while still holding the handle. Remove the credit card and you have the pads parallel to the disc and a short distance away. This works on discs that are not warped. On a new bike the discs should still be perfect. Some brakes are inherently noisy and you just learn to live with the noise or replace the pads with a different brand. The OEM pads that came with my Avid BB7 brakes were never quiet. The ones on my Hope hydraulic brakes were silent.
Thanks but I've created quite a larger gap between the calipers & the disc than normal but the noise still persists. I'm not 100% sure if it has anything to do with calipers & disc but it does sound like the noise is coming from the disc.

The noise only appears when my body is forward in a normal riding motion plus does get louder when I twist my wheel when riding.

I've had my bike on a stand and upside down and there is no noise, it must have something to do with my pressure when riding. I'm wondering if the noise is deriving from the frame being a new bike.
Old 09-08-17, 05:29 AM
moegjlt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464
Put the bike in a stand and remove the caliper then spin the front wheel to see if the noise is gone.
Find a hill get rolling down hill gently apply the brake and see if the noise is gone.
Put the bike in a stand and spray lubricant around the front axle/bearings if the noise goes away clean and relube the hub.

Best I've got. Good luck
Thanks but I've created quite a larger gap between the calipers & the disc than normal but the noise still persists. I'm not 100% sure if it has anything to do with calipers & disc but it does sound like the noise is coming from the disc.

The noise only appears when my body is forward in a normal riding motion plus does get louder when I twist my wheel when riding.

I've had my bike on a stand and upside down and there is no noise, it must have something to do with my pressure when riding. I'm wondering if the noise is deriving from the frame being a new bike.
Old 09-08-17, 07:18 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Sometimes spokes make noise and they only do it when your weight is on the bike and rolling.
It can be a creak, squeak, or ping type noise. If you're sure the pads aren't touching the rotor when the noise occurs it might not be the brake.
Suspension fork? It might be twisting or leaning to one side when you're on it causing brake rub.
Try cleaning and lightly lubing the quick release and skewer, the noise could be coming from there. I've heard skewers make crazy noises.
Old 09-09-17, 01:09 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
If the brakes do not rub in the stand, it is unlikely they rub while riding, however with that being said, when the frame is loaded, things change and the brakes just may be rubbing after all. If the fork has skinny legs, then it certainly is possible they are flexing when weighted, causing the rotor to rub the caliper. I had this situation on a full sus rig in the back.

If the hub has a rubber seal for the bearings, lube that seal and see if it helps.
Old 09-09-17, 03:06 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
This bike:Coyote Oklahoma Mens Alloy Frame Mo...

Better than a department store bike, but not by much.
If you're a heavy guy, you may simply be seeing frame/fork flex.
Halfords hasn't a great rep.
Maybe your front hub needs the bearings adjusted.
Remove wheel, spin axle between your fingers.
Should move smoothly with only a tiny bit of play.
Old 09-09-17, 06:47 AM
moegjlt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for your kind advice I have had a good look at the disc when turning and it looks warped, so I've contacted the company and they're sending me a new disc.
Old 09-11-17, 10:36 AM
richas

Bikes: Giant Defy Disc 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Giant Defy Disc 2
I adjust the pads in until they contact and back them out until they don't rub. Perhaps this is not correct...

Rich
Old 09-12-17, 06:16 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Moegjlt, you can expect your problems to continue. Maybe not immediately, but the sound - and the disc warpage - will return. Your bike has mechanical disc brakes; and not just any mechs, they're generic no-brand-specified ones; which I'm sure only move one pad when you brake. They work by deflecting the rotor into the other pad. If you use them, they will bend it out of true. You should learn how to true them up yourself. You can do it with your thumbs. Not a hard job, but one I suspect you'll be doing regularly.