Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Smaller Gauge Wire for SON Dynamo?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Smaller Gauge Wire for SON Dynamo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-23, 04:32 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@Tourist in MSN, I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing your pictures.
Thank you.
Old 05-03-23, 09:29 AM
emdub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Success!

Hi everyone, I thought you'd appreciate an update: I was able to fish the SON dynamo coaxial wire through the fork! Here’s how I did it:

I first threaded a length of picture-hanging wire as a leader through the forks, starting from the crown. Picture-hanging wire is stiff enough to stay straight on its own, but it's flexible enough to negotiate turns and corners with a little encouragement.

I used an old V-brake noodle to guide the leader wire around the 90-degree turn inside the fork tube. When the leader wire was near the hole at the end of the fork, I pushed a loop of wire into the hole to catch the end of the leader.

Since the coaxial wire just barely fit through the hole at the fork end, I trimmed the end of the coaxial wire and tied it in a square knot with the end of the leader wire. I then gently pushed the coaxial wire up through the bottom of the fork while simultaneously gently pulling the leader wire from the crown.

Thanks everyone, for your generosity, help, advice, expertise, and widsom. I appreciate it.

Last edited by emdub; 05-03-23 at 09:36 AM.
Likes For emdub: