Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Am I a bad person?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Am I a bad person?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-24, 03:13 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You did well to notice it at that distance!
The fork blades of the columbus max series are easily recognizable due their slightly larger and aero size than any other of the fork blade from the other columbus steel series also the diagonal tube is larger and finishes as an elliptical end where there is the bottom bracket for adding increased torsionnal rigidity.
Likes For georges1:
Old 03-26-24, 03:16 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I gotta say, I’m tempted to install a kickstand on my 1974 DeRosa.
I bought a 'donor' Fuji last summer for the Suntour VGT it had on it. Then noticed the kickstand, something I'd always felt the lack of on my MB.

It wears both now, along with a couple of other items 'traditionalists' would frown upon.

But, as you've said, "it's my bike."
Likes For spclark:
Old 03-26-24, 03:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
The fork blades of the columbus max series are easily recognizable due their slightly larger and aero size than any other of the fork blade from the other columbus steel series also the diagonal tube is larger and finishes as an elliptical end where there is the bottom bracket for adding increased torsionnal rigidity.
Yep. The top tube and down tube cross sections are both elliptical vertically at the head tube, circular in the middle, and elliptical horizontally at the seat cluster and bottom bracket, respectively. When I got this frame back in 2007, the paint had been worn off the sides of the top tube near the seat cluster. The tube and that lug are REALLY wide!

Oh, and the massive chainstays are another dead giveaway!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-26-24, 03:58 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Now you know who your friends are.
My bikes are my friends.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-27-24, 12:11 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I gotta say, I’m tempted to install a kickstand on my 1974 DeRosa.

It’s my bike

its not your bike

I actually ride it, A kick stand is actually useful.

bonus: it would upset the people who would be upset.
I am a strong believer in "It's your bike" and "ride what you like," and I won't deviate from that here. But I can't help but feel that putting a kickstand on that bike is pushing right up against the limits of taste and decorum. I'll stand by my usual "it's your bike" beliefs, but this is one instance where I would definitely be judging, however silently (and I make no promises there).

Also, after all the effort you went to to get that bike juuuuust right, sweating details I'm pretty sure I didn't know existed, it strikes me as a little odd that this would be the bike you would hang a kickstand on. Kind of like painstakingly restoring a Stutz Bearcat and then painting flames and a racing stripe on it. But hey, you do you.
Old 03-27-24, 06:39 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I like restofied classic frames. New running gear transforms them.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 03-27-24, 11:13 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
I think it's awesome, screw what everyone else thinks. I just built my first steel frame bike, a 72' Nishiki Road Compe with mid school Ultegra 9sd components with down tube shifters. a modern neck to get the stem up a little, and 32mm tires. It is a work in progress and I have a few rusty parts to replace but it shifts like butter and rides like no other bike I've ever ridden. I love it.

Likes For Breadfan:
Old 03-27-24, 11:30 AM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 133 Posts
Are you a bad person, NO. If a bike shop or some individuals in a ride group give you a hard time or shun you, time to ride with other, like minded, friends and drop that shop. Ride and enjoy, don't look for acceptance or validation. My common advice is "just care less", works for many life instances.
Likes For cinelliguy:
Old 03-27-24, 12:33 PM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by cinelliguy
Are you a bad person, NO. If a bike shop or some individuals in a ride group give you a hard time or shun you, time to ride with other, like minded, friends and drop that shop. Ride and enjoy, don't look for acceptance or validation. My common advice is "just care less", works for many life instances.
Yea, if I was shunned by a bike shop for expressing myself my way with my bike, they would never get another look or penny from me. That's a terrible way of doing business.
Old 03-28-24, 10:29 AM
curiousabe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 28 Posts
Lol absolutely not, if it gives you more enjoyment and more miles then go for it! Unless you use one of those ahead stem adapters/swapped fork to a non quill one, those are bad, bad people and should not be trusted, if this is you I'm afraid there is no salvation

I'm running 9/10 speed on all my vintage frame and love it. Even went as far and had a custom frame made that reminded me of the elegantly shaped vintage roadies

Likes For curiousabe:
Old 03-28-24, 01:14 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Breadfan
I think it's awesome, screw what everyone else thinks. I just built my first steel frame bike, a 72' Nishiki Road Compe with mid school Ultegra 9sd components with down tube shifters. a modern neck to get the stem up a little, and 32mm tires. It is a work in progress and I have a few rusty parts to replace but it shifts like butter and rides like no other bike I've ever ridden. I love it.

very cool....you could also have gotten similar height with something like a nitto dirt drop stem...... just saying

Old 03-28-24, 01:17 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I am a strong believer in "It's your bike" and "ride what you like," and I won't deviate from that here. But I can't help but feel that putting a kickstand on that bike is pushing right up against the limits of taste and decorum. I'll stand by my usual "it's your bike" beliefs, but this is one instance where I would definitely be judging, however silently (and I make no promises there).

Also, after all the effort you went to to get that bike juuuuust right, sweating details I'm pretty sure I didn't know existed, it strikes me as a little odd that this would be the bike you would hang a kickstand on. Kind of like painstakingly restoring a Stutz Bearcat and then painting flames and a racing stripe on it. But hey, you do you.
my grandfather had a Stutz and got 6 flat tires driving over Beverly Glen… when it was a dirt road. Tested my grandmother’s patience.

unfortunate that she made him sell off his 6 motorcycles when they got married. This was the era where a young man that could afford a new motorcycle was clueless to repair them, so many sold them off cheap.
Old 03-28-24, 01:34 PM
Midlifecyclist
Midlifecyclist

Bikes: Far, far too many

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
I really love this community

This post is of course in jest, as at 45 years old it’s pretty hard to care if other don’t like it.

I’m so stoked to see so many of these old beauties still on the road in WHATEVER capacity. The steel lugged frames are just beautiful in a way that’s hard to recreate in this modern era.

Thanks for all the support, I knew that I couldn’t be the only bad guy out there
Old 03-28-24, 02:07 PM
Breadfan

Originally Posted by squirtdad
very cool....you could also have gotten similar height with something like a nitto dirt drop stem...... just saying
I’m still new to the road bike thing so I will look into that stem! I don’t necessarily like the newer stems so finding something that looks more of the era would be good. Much appreciated.
Old 03-28-24, 02:23 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Breadfan
I’m still new to the road bike thing so I will look into that stem! I don’t necessarily like the newer stems so finding something that looks more of the era would be good. Much appreciated.
Here is what the look like

Old 03-28-24, 05:42 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Or the Technomic!