Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Beginner cycling

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 07:02 AM
Dthomp22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beginner cycling

Hey all, I’m a beginner at cycling but I already have a good aerobic base as an avid runner (think 7:45 conversation long run pace). Every time I hop on the bike my legs seem to give in long before I’m even in aerobic zone which makes it difficult to train my aerobics! I was hoping for some advice for training going forward. I’ve read to go lower resistance and higher cadence, but I really want to build up my leg muscles to where they are almost or on par with my lungs. All advice is appreciated!
Old 05-13-20, 07:06 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Dthomp22
Hey all, I’m a beginner at cycling but I already have a good aerobic base as an avid runner (think 7:45 conversation long run pace). Every time I hop on the bike my legs seem to give in long before I’m even in aerobic zone which makes it difficult to train my aerobics! I was hoping for some advice for training going forward. I’ve read to go lower resistance and higher cadence, but I really want to build up my leg muscles to where they are almost or on par with my lungs. All advice is appreciated!
Fitness can be a funny thing. It doesn't always translate well from one discipline to the next. It is going to take time. The nice thing though is with a solid fitness foundation you'll come around quickly.

How many times have you ridden and how far? What kind of bike?
Old 05-13-20, 07:14 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I small change in an exercise will have an outsized effect on muscles. For example, when lifting weights, a change of grip will effect the involved muscles in different ways. Just keep pedaling and your legs will catch up. Also find some hills to build endurance.
Old 05-13-20, 07:18 AM
Dthomp22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My history with cycling is on and off. I did triathlons until I was about 16, riding 3 times a week. When I went to college I rode with the cycling team for about 2-3 months to strengthen my legs for a half marathon. Now it is two years later (I'm 20) and I wanted to get back into triathlon, starting with the bike. I've done about 10 rides in the last three weeks, all on a Peloton (My carbon fiber Scott is still at school), 5 45 minute workouts and 5 60-90 minute rides. The 45 minute workouts are around 150-160 Watts avg. and the long rides are around 105-115.
Old 05-13-20, 07:33 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I forgot to say "welcome to the forum." You are going to do just fine and you are going to come around quickly. I have a hunch when you move from the Peloton to a real bike you'll feel some differences.
Old 05-13-20, 07:35 AM
Dthomp22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I forgot to say "welcome to the forum." You are going to do just fine and you are going to come around quickly. I have a hunch when you move from the Peloton to a real bike you'll feel some differences.
Thanks! Haha. Are those positive or negative differences?
Old 05-13-20, 07:50 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
I’ve read to go lower resistance and higher cadence, but I really want to build up my leg muscles to where they are almost or on par with my lungs.
You're right that as a runner, your lungs are probably ready to rock. However, the leg muscles involved in runny vs cycling are radically different and it'll take time to build the cycling-specific leg muscles.

I think the advice regarding resistance and cadence is good advice. If you start training with a power meter, you'll learn there are two ways to generate power: mash your pedals at low RPMs or spin your pedals at high RPMs (or a combination of both). I personally prefer the latter... kind of like how race cars (Indy, Formula 1, etc.) are crazy fast but also run their engines at crazy-high RPMs. The benefits of spinning are that it taxes your lungs more, which is the thing you already have well developed. Granted, this won't grow huge quads, but in the long run I think it's better for the health of your legs... more specifically, the health of your knees. I was warned when I was in my teens that I shouldn't mash gears or else I'd risk wrecking my knees when I got older... that advice came from a ex-Olympic cyclist. He was right... I'm now 46 years old and my knees like to talk back to me :-) While I do enjoy an occasional all-out sprint, I'm a firm believer in "spin it to win it"!
Old 05-13-20, 09:09 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Thanks! Haha. Are those positive or negative differences?
Just a few difference in the way you use certain muscles. A simple fit change from one bike to the next can do that. It's easy to adapt though. You got this!
Old 05-13-20, 05:37 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Two different disciplines that work different muscles. I was never a runner but have been through two academies in law enforcement that running was the preferred exercise daily amongst other things. I never liked running and still don’t. I only run if a big dog is chasing me or someone with a weapon and I have exhausted mine.....LOL.

Now to cycling to build up your legs. Well, I am no trainer so I don’t know other than getting on the bike and pushing it weekly until you build those muscles. Hopefully a REAL trainer here can give advice. I am of the school just ride until you puke then do it again. It made me into a decent amateur who has competed. But at 50, I am not looking to be anything but an weekend warrior.....well, every other day hopefully.

Congrats and welcome to the best sport there is in my estimation.
Old 05-13-20, 08:44 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
My advice: keep riding! I was a runner for 50 years but my knees couldn't take it anymore. After a few years of hobbling around and trying to recover, I bought a bike 2 1/2 years ago. Like you, my legs just weren't in riding shape, but over time they caught up. It probably took a year. Now I'm riding 15-20 miles a day at about 16 mph and at the end of it, it feels more like after a run. No doubt about it though, a hour of running is much more fatiguing than an hour of cycling, even when I'm pushing it. Still, it's good exercise and my knees don't ache anymore. Just keep riding and your legs will get there.
Old 05-14-20, 09:35 AM
zweitesmal2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I agree with previous posts- just keep riding. Maybe find a MTB and do a bit of cross training as well. Good luck!
Old 05-14-20, 12:19 PM
33yearslate

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts
Although I'm not at all an experienced rider, I do have a lot of experience working out. Squats and lunges couldn't hurt. Some plyometric exercises could make you more explosive for short hills too.

Work out your lower abs for hip flexor strength too. Biking a ton will help, obviously, but putting in work off the bike can also speed things along.
Old 05-14-20, 12:51 PM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
As not a runner, I could be pretty far off but I'll throw in my two cents:

Since cycling is generally low muscular impact, I would avoid low cadence all the time. Certainly there are times when you may end up pushing hard, its just likely not at a low cadence. Now that does not mean to avoid working on higher gears... It just turns into intervals...

So, If you want to work on improving you bike fitness, I guess it would be intervals for strength and speed, and FTP, with good recovery in between. Don't just throw your bike in a high gear and think that will do it. That will lead to bad habits and bad knees.

Since you have a trainer with power, I'd work to that, likely at a cadence between 80 and 100, varied up a bit to broaden your comfort zone. Maybe it has some nice training routines built in.

If you're in college or something maybe you could find a coach or something related to your other activities?