Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Training schedule: realisic goals?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 10:18 AM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, so I'm the kind of guy that finds having short & long term goals really helps me stay on target with training. I've been trying to work it all out and have a fairly good plan.... I think. So I thought I would toss it out to yall & see if it seems OK or if I am over-reaching.

The ultimate goal is a Century ride on Oct 1st.

Last month I logged 200 miles saddle time.
This month I am on track to log over 300. Although I think 200-250 is a more realistic monthly goal for my life circumstance. I also joined the local cycling club (PBA). I will likely join in their Saturday rides at least twice a month with the goal of moving up to the next level group (38-40 mile rides @ 15 mph). I also have a recumbent trainer at home for days when weather wont allow outside training.

This weekend I did a 32 mile ride @ 13 mph.
Next month I have a 40 mile solo ride along the Texas coast.
In June I'm already registered for a 62 mile tour.
I will be registering for a Century happening on Oct 1st.

I know that, good Lord willin' & the creek don't rise, I want to get in at least two 70ish mile rides Jul-Sept time frame. Just not sure which ones yet (still mulling the logistics of the HotterN Hell).

I'm currently riding a Y2K Trek 1000, but have an Allez on a-lay-away. Hopefully I will have it before the 62 mile tour. At worst I can take both to the Century so i have a "plan B" option.

So does this seem like a realistic training ramp up and schedule to my Century Ride?
Old 04-18-11, 10:15 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Sounds fine to me, although it's hard to tell for sure.

One of the major challenges of riding in the summer is the heat, not just the miles or speed.

I'm assuming that the century terrain is similar to what you're riding now. Don't train on the flats if the century is hilly.

A lot of cyclist approach a century with specific time goals, and if you don't have a set time you need to do it in, it becomes a lot more feasible to do it.
Old 04-19-11, 01:11 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most people can ride a century after 10-12 weeks of training. You can probably find hundreds of such plans on the Internet. The usually involve riding moderate distances 3-4 days a week, with one longer ride on the weekends. Riding a century in October should be no problem, if you put your mind to it.
Old 04-19-11, 05:52 AM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The terrain issue is gonna be the tricky part. Lufkin (where the century is held) is quite a bit more hilly than Dallas. And the heat thing is why I dont have any long rides set up for Jul-Aug yet. I'm holding off on those until close to the dates so I know what shape I'm in to decide the proper distances.

Its good to know that 10-12 weeks is a reasonable time table!