Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

People say the weirdest things...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 06:54 AM
G1nko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been commuting to Hartford pretty solidly for about 5 years. In the past, I've always hung up the bike come October. This year, however, I decided to keep going through the winter.

As the days have gotten colder, I have found that people walking down the street say the weirdest things. People in cars are pretty predictable: "Get out of the road" being the most common. In the last two weeks on the dark, chilly ride in to work I've heard from pedestrians:
  • Hey man, save on gas, save some money! Woo hoo!
  • Oh my Lord Jesus, that's a bicycle.
  • Honey child, you must be out of your mind.

Last one was this morning and is, I think, my favorite. Yes, yes I am, but not for the reason you think...
Old 12-14-11, 07:07 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I like the little kids. One called out to me yesterday - "Hey Mr. Bikeman!"
Old 12-14-11, 07:10 AM
FastRod

Bikes: Scott Sub 50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What the heck? does it matter what people do? People care to much these days...
Old 12-14-11, 07:15 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think it's less a matter of people CARING, and more a matter of they can't resist telling someone else what they need to be doing; they are so insecure in themselves that they need to validate their own life choices by cramming them down others' throats.
Old 12-14-11, 07:37 AM
Jamoni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or maybe they just like to talk to other people?
I love interacting with pedestrians. It's like a game: "How many variations of 'nice bike!' can you collect?"
Old 12-14-11, 09:11 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamoni
I love interacting with pedestrians.
I agree Jamoni,

I get a lot of comments on my folding bike, esp. when I get to the Metro platform and fold it. Most folks have never seen a folder in action and it seems to be somehow (mechanically?) fascinating to them.

"Wow, cool bike, it folds so SMALL!" and variations on that theme are most popular.

Or, after watching (studying?) the five step from full bike to folded mode, "Man, you got that routine down!"

Plus the usual "How much that thing cost?" . . . which I usually under-estimate by several hundred dollars,

"What kinda bike is that?" DaHon, I reply . . . I tell them it's a Chinese bike; which it is.

"That bike sure got tiny wheels!" Yeah, I say, they're 16 inch!"

Kid wise, I pulled up to a pedestrian stop/crossing, the kind with the elderly retiree holding up the "STOP" sign on stick, and a bunch of middle school kids were walking by. One kind looked at my bike and remarked, "Hey, nice ride man!" So you just never know.

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-14-11, 09:34 AM
paul2432

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, "you're crazy" or some variant comes up from time to time, but I also get genuine enthusiasm and fist pumps. I remember one morning when it was below zero and snowing I got a "way to go" from a guy at a bus stop and a honk, fist pump, and cheer from a guy driving a van for a sports medicine/physical therapy office (maybe they thought I would need their services sooner or later).

Paul
Old 12-14-11, 10:25 AM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mostly the cat calls are more supportive this time of the year. In Minneapolis anyway winter riders are not that unusual anymore so if you appear to be prepared and experienced people consider you more badass than crazy or just plain sad.

But honestly I don't care what they say or think as long as they see me and don't run me over!
Old 12-14-11, 10:41 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by modernjess
But honestly I don't care what they say or think as long as they see me and don't run me over!
Plus around here, the drivers don't seem to want to roll down their windows in the cold to yell some comment. (Things unfortunately pick up in warmer weather...)
Old 12-14-11, 12:41 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
"Do you sell ice cream?"

A kid asked me that after I rang my bell.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-14-11, 01:20 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2624 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 1,232 Posts
It's warmed up here after some chilly weather, so I loved a crossing guard calling to me:

"It's almost swimsuit weather!"
Old 12-15-11, 11:25 AM
pityr

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told that I was someone's hero today since Ill ride in anything and any weather
Old 12-15-11, 12:13 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
  • I came around the corner of a building on my commute and encountered a young couple who asked "want some crack?" I take that turn much wider now.
  • I was passing through a somewhat hairy intersection and was told "you're gonna get killed like that" by another cyclist. He was going against traffic on the sidewalk...
  • A few weeks ago at a stoplight, a motorist asked me if I always stopped for red lights. I told him yes, and he said something like "why bother? You don't have a license plate, so you can't get a ticket."

Gotta love my fellow Floridians!
Old 12-15-11, 12:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
  • A few weeks ago at a stoplight, a motorist asked me if I always stopped for red lights. I told him yes, and he said something like "why bother? You don't have a license plate, so you can't get a ticket."
He's right, of course. Mostly.
Old 12-15-11, 04:36 PM
yep202

Bikes: giant revel 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told.I was history on the makeing by a guest at work. I showes up during a storm that took out most of the power in the city. First time.
Old 12-15-11, 05:43 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,665 Times in 965 Posts
The weirdest thing I recall was, "Look a white man on a bicycle!" I just grinned and waved as I went on.
Old 12-15-11, 09:00 PM
roashru

Bikes: sport touring with small front back baskets. 17 mph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was in tomah, wi with my made 21 speed raleigh sprite cruising through town with a 16 ounce brown bagged adult beverage and at some time i got followed by (2) kids on bmx 20 inch wheeled bicycles the leader started saying to me "mister you shouldnt drink" after awhile i looked at the leader and said "you need to put on a helmet and a safety vest kid" i then rode off the leader didnt follow he had a puzzled look on his face as i cycled away.

Last edited by roashru; 12-16-11 at 12:12 PM. Reason: cleaned up
Old 12-15-11, 09:41 PM
Davidfm

Bikes: Surly LHT, two Fisher ATBs, Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my commute in weather in the teens, met up with another cyclist, "Glad to see I'm not the only moron out here."
Old 12-16-11, 06:36 AM
bud16415

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
There is a subdivision about 2 miles from where I live and if I feel like a safe late night ride it’s a great 3 mile loop around the subdivision that I can do 2 or 3 times. Last summer about midnight on a moonless night with a little fog, I had my Windsor tourist out and I was in the process of building some new LED headlights. I had the old 36 LED lights and also the new 48 LED setups both on, helmet light 12 LED and flashers back of helmet and back of bike and a bunch of reflective tape to boot. I came around a corner and scared the heck out of a young husband and wife walking and the guy literally ran half way up a driveway as I approached. I overheard him say “#$%@ I thought it was an alien or something”. I looked at my reflection in a few windows as I kept riding and he was right. On my second lap there they were again and this time knowing what I was he boldly stood his ground as I passed. I couldn’t resist and raised my right hand and said “Greetings Earthlings!” to that he replied “A.. Hole” and his wife let out the biggest laugh I have heard in a long time. She was clearly amused.
Old 12-16-11, 12:21 PM
Mr. Cranky
No, not really.

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, ~2006 Specialized Sequoia, 1999 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 12-16-11, 03:07 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 104 Posts
I had to go to the bus stop near my home to meet a friend. It's only a hundred yards away or so...

My neighbour lent out from her balcony and greeted me with, "WOW! We didn't know you could walk!"
Old 12-16-11, 04:27 PM
Bent Bill

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bud16415
There is a subdivision about 2 miles from where I live and if I feel like a safe late night ride it’s a great 3 mile loop around the subdivision that I can do 2 or 3 times. Last summer about midnight on a moonless night with a little fog, I had my Windsor tourist out and I was in the process of building some new LED headlights. I had the old 36 LED lights and also the new 48 LED setups both on, helmet light 12 LED and flashers back of helmet and back of bike and a bunch of reflective tape to boot. I came around a corner and scared the heck out of a young husband and wife walking and the guy literally ran half way up a driveway as I approached. I overheard him say “#$%@ I thought it was an alien or something”. I looked at my reflection in a few windows as I kept riding and he was right. On my second lap there they were again and this time knowing what I was he boldly stood his ground as I passed. I couldn’t resist and raised my right hand and said “Greetings Earthlings!” to that he replied “A.. Hole” and his wife let out the biggest laugh I have heard in a long time. She was clearly amused.
Thats good
Old 12-17-11, 06:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,608 Times in 2,357 Posts
I like when the girls in a passing car hooted at me climbing out of the saddle: "keep going you can do it!" I knew I could but it was cute that they wanted to encourage me
Old 12-18-11, 02:20 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
  • I came around the corner of a building on my commute and encountered a young couple who asked "want some crack?" I take that turn much wider now.
  • I was passing through a somewhat hairy intersection and was told "you're gonna get killed like that" by another cyclist. He was going against traffic on the sidewalk...

Gotta love my fellow Floridians!

I had basically the same conversation myself a short time ago. I'd stopped at a red light while leaving The Pier. A pedestrian crossing in front of me said that I didn't need to stop at the stop light. I said something to effect that it's red and that meant stop.

Agreed, some of them seem to think that because one can get away with something that we should do it.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
He's right, of course. Mostly.
Just because the LEOs in some places are too lazy to properly do their job doesn't make it right or true everywhere.
Old 12-18-11, 02:25 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
The weirdest thing I recall was, "Look a white man on a bicycle!" I just grinned and waved as I went on.
Because of blinking headlights I've had people somehow mistake me for the police or a crossing guard. One of the kids in the opera Amahl and the Night Visitor told my girlfriend that he thought that I was a crossing guard.

Of course more then a few of the participants were amazed that I had actually rode my bike from St. Pete to Tarpon Springs. Which is a trip almost 40 miles. And I did it in just under 3 hrs of moving time. It was actually 37.25 miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.