Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

lock-wire safety bolts for disc brake mounting

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-21, 05:40 AM
timo888 

Bikes: Birdy BD-1. Change MTB. Fuji XC. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I'm building up a frame which has disc brake mounts. I see that Shimano sells, for its flat-mount disc brakes, mounting bolts that have been drilled through the head so they can be secured with lock-wire to prevent loosening from vibration. Is there something about flat-mount specifically that causes the mounting bolts to loosen or is this an issue generally with disc brakes regardless of the mounting type?
Old 02-06-21, 06:11 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
I've never used any of Shimano's brake mounting bolt security devices and I also have never had a brake mounting bolt come loose. I don't see anything about flat mount in particular that would make it more prone to loosening from vibration. I don't really like them, because its a pain to blindly reach under the chainstay to adjust the brake caliper, but its where the industry has gone and we have to live with it.
Old 02-07-21, 04:16 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Never used or even seen them used. I have seen caliper bolts that were loose, but I suspect they were just never tightened properly in the first place. Thread lock is a great answer and miost mount bolts have thread lock alreaduy applied to the threads.
Old 02-08-21, 06:45 AM
timo888 

Bikes: Birdy BD-1. Change MTB. Fuji XC. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for these answers, dsaul and dwmckee

Then blue threadlocker it will be, as usual. Though I have to say, spinning a pair of lock-wire pliers looks like fun.