Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tektro Caliper & Shimano Lever? (Flat Bar Road Bike Conversion)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 03:28 AM
LM_1983

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New road bike (Boardman) has Tektro R-315 calipers with Shimano Claris brakes (drop bar). I'm converting to flat bar, mainly for convenience and comfort.

My question is will Shimano Claris flat bar levers (BL-R2000) work with the Tektro calipers? Im looking also at the Shimano Tiagra BL-4700 levers but these say compatible with Super SLR brakes. I can't find any info on the Tektros in regard to SLR.

I like Shimano quality and would prefer this over Tektro if possible.

So is it just a case of swaping Shimano Claris drop bar brake levers with Claris flat bar brake levers with Tektro R-315 calipers?
Old 02-11-24, 02:38 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Yeah, they will work with the Tektro brakes. The BL-R2000 are convertible between short pull and long pull, you want to set-up them with the cable in the position closer to the lever pivot.

Modern Shimano flat-bar brake levers use a rivet in the pivot, which means they start with a certain amount of slop, and will only get worse with time. Most Tektro levers use a bolt and nut at the pivot, which allows you to tighten up the pivot to reduce or eliminate excess slop in the lever, which makes the brake feel better. If you want the best possible levers that will work, look at nicer vintage levers such as Dia-Compe SS-5 or Shimano BL-MT63. Or splurge on some Paul Canti Levers.
Likes For Arrowana:
Old 02-11-24, 03:04 PM
LM_1983

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrowana
Yeah, they will work with the Tektro brakes. The BL-R2000 are convertible between short pull and long pull, you want to set-up them with the cable in the position closer to the lever pivot.

Modern Shimano flat-bar brake levers use a rivet in the pivot, which means they start with a certain amount of slop, and will only get worse with time. Most Tektro levers use a bolt and nut at the pivot, which allows you to tighten up the pivot to reduce or eliminate excess slop in the lever, which makes the brake feel better. If you want the best possible levers that will work, look at nicer vintage levers such as Dia-Compe SS-5 or Shimano BL-MT63. Or splurge on some Paul Canti Levers.
Thanks a lot for the reply and info. Much appreciated.