Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravelking Sk 40 or Schwalbe G-one 38c in terms of speed, safety and comfort?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-16, 05:43 AM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I want to upgrade tires in my Renegade Exploit to tubeless and I am looking for the best option when it comes to combining speed, comfort and puncture protection. I narrowed down the choice to two tires: Panaracer GravelKing Sk 40 and Schwalbe G-One 38c. Panaracer measures around 43 mm which will be borderline for my bike but it should fit giving me a very plush ride, especially with PSI as low as 30. I have read that this tire is rather fast but not that good in the puncture resistance department. Schwalbe is a little bit lighter but also much narrower. It is also fast and I suppose, has better puncture protection but it may be less comfy, especially due to the fact that the lowest possible PSI is around 40.

Which tire would You choose?
Old 11-26-16, 07:45 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
The Schwalbe tires are only one or two mm wider than the Clement MSO that came on the bike. I'd go for the Gravelking based on larger size and the knobbier tread.

Try one on the front first. Nothing wrong with mixing tires on a gravel bike.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-26-16 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-26-16, 09:36 AM
Jackmen

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be concerned about running the gravel Kings tubeless. I tried some SK 32's even contacted Panaracer direct to confirm if they were ok to run tubeless. They said they were fine tubeless up to 60 PSI. I mounted them with stans tape on my Fuji, and they leaked sealant through the sidewalls and never would seal. They did not work tubeless and I had to put a tube in them. Beware of gravel Kings claim that they are tubeless. I'd go with the Schwalbe's. Have used many and have never had a problem running them tubeless.
Old 11-26-16, 12:57 PM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the G Ones 35 on my Niner RLT 9 and they were excellent tires. Didn't have a single flat or tire related issue in the 4 months I was using them, they rolled well on pavement and seemed to grip well off road.

I would not hesitate to get the 38s next.
Old 11-26-16, 10:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,714 Times in 2,532 Posts
were the 32 gravel kings really tubeless? I am running 40mm Gravelkings tubeless without issue
Old 11-28-16, 07:22 AM
Jackmen

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
were the 32 gravel kings really tubeless? I am running 40mm Gravelkings tubeless without issue

Both the retailer and the company said they were tubeless up to 60 PSI.
Old 12-08-16, 09:29 AM
cdry

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
running 35mm gravel king SK's tubeless with no issue for months.
Old 12-08-16, 01:21 PM
Jackmen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mounted some Schwalbe 38 G Ones on my gravel bike and I am amazed how fast they are on the road. I didn't have my road bike together and some friends called to do a 45 Mile road ride, so I decided I would just take my gravel bike with the schwalbe G ones. I just pushed the pressure up to 70 PSI as I know I was doing only road riding and I kept up great to my two friends who are strong riders on their road bikes.

The ones are amazingly fast on pavement. Haven't tried them on gravel yet but will soon. Have mounted them on the stock Rims that came with the Fuji. Just added stans tape and tubless valve stems and 2 OZs of sealant per tire and they inflated instantly with CO2 tubes and sealed great.

I highly recommend this tire.
Old 12-08-16, 04:33 PM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm thinking about the G-Ones for the spring. I know they're tubeless ready, but tubeless can be run with tubes, right?

Difference between Speed and Allround?
Old 12-09-16, 08:01 AM
Jackmen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by athrowawaynic
I'm thinking about the G-Ones for the spring. I know they're tubeless ready, but tubeless can be run with tubes, right?

The question I ask is why would you ride them with tubes, when you can ride them tubeless? No drawbacks to tubeless.

Also please realize any wheels can be ran tubeless. Just put on stan's tape, tubeless valve stem and your ready to go.
Old 12-09-16, 09:09 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by athrowawaynic

Yes, can be run with tubes. Go tubeless and bring tube on a ride, just in case you need it.
Old 12-09-16, 09:44 AM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jackmen
The question I ask is why would you ride them with tubes, when you can ride them tubeless? No drawbacks to tubeless.

Also please realize any wheels can be ran tubeless. Just put on stan's tape, tubeless valve stem and your ready to go.
So... I have a pair of stock Super Swans on the bike now that I like for single track. They're ok but not great on the road, so I'm looking for something more road-friendly when I do more road riding in the spring. I don't have a second wheelset, so I'd just swap tires as needed.

Swapping tube tires is easy enough. Is it a pain to swap tubeless tires?

Anyway, the G-Ones look good because they're not so knobby as either the Super Swans or Sammy Slicks.

But maybe I should consider something else besides G-Ones? Probably lose some benefit by running them with tubes anyhow.
Old 12-10-16, 09:13 AM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I went to the Philly Bike Expo last month and a vendor was selling the the G-Ones for $65 for a set!! I wasn't in the market for tires but that was a smoking deal!!