Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

Looking for hanger for my Suntour VG-T LUXE Rear Derailluer

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 11:09 AM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts

Hello all,
I found three of these in local bike coop and no hangers to be found in the parts. If anyone has the hangers, hex nut and ideally, the shims, would be so happy to buy a couple to make these baby's work for the rebuilds of a five and six speed Centurion and Raleigh. I would be willing to trade one of the mechs (they are dirty but they are straight with pulleys in excellent condition) in trade for a hanger bolt and shims. If someone has hex bolt alone, PLEASE connect as I have several people already who have the hangers.
Thanks in advance. I am cross posting C&V general forums. If this offends anyone, let me know and I will have moderator remove post.
Cheers!
Nubra

This is the hanger I am looking for! Need the shims too

Last edited by Nubra; 06-14-21 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old 06-10-21, 02:37 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Looks as though you need bolts as well - if so good luck you'll need it.

Hangers are pretty ubiquitous, if you have a co-op locally check there.
Old 06-10-21, 05:33 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Originally Posted by oneclick

YES indeed, I need the hexbolts as well. I wish I could figure out how to edit my post. Will try to contact moderator to see if they will do for me.

Old 06-10-21, 06:22 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Reminds me of that short period of time that every time I found a Suntour derailleur in the coop's bin it was *always* missing the bolt. Why would they do that? Are they even interchangable? Drove me nuts.
Old 06-10-21, 06:24 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by rgvg
Reminds me of that short period of time that every time I found a Suntour derailleur in the coop's bin it was *always* missing the bolt. Why would they do that? Are they even interchangable? Drove me nuts.
Making me nuts too. These are excellent mechs, in great condition. What a bummer!

Old 06-11-21, 01:39 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by Nubra
YES indeed, I need the hexbolts as well.
If you are lucky enough to find the bolts but not any shims you may have a work-around - if there are sufficient threads of the bolt protruding you can use a 10x1 rear axle locknut on the inner side of the dropout/claw and set your clearance with it.
Old 06-11-21, 04:41 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
For a time, RDs did not have anything to retain the pivot bolts, unlike later units that had snap rings or slotted nuts. So when an RD was dismounted the pivot bolt could and did fall out (like the Campy NR caliper cable adjuster bolts did). Unfortunately, I have found, there was no standard diameter nor length. So finding a replacement involved long searches through obscure parts bins and much luck. BTDT. And do not assume bike shops/co-ops binned things together. Those old pivot bolts are could be anywhere.

Same problem with the shim washers. Fell off, swept up, tossed anywhere handy, and everywhere. "Where to we put these things?" "I donno, just toss it in that bin over there."

Nothing's changed. It still goes on today.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 06-11-21, 11:03 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
For a time, RDs did not have anything to retain the pivot bolts, unlike later units that had snap rings or slotted nuts. So when an RD was dismounted the pivot bolt could and did fall out (like the Campy NR caliper cable adjuster bolts did). Unfortunately, I have found, there was no standard diameter nor length. So finding a replacement involved long searches through obscure parts bins and much luck. BTDT. And do not assume bike shops/co-ops binned things together. Those old pivot bolts are could be anywhere.

Same problem with the shim washers. Fell off, swept up, tossed anywhere handy, and everywhere. "Where to we put these things?" "I donno, just toss it in that bin over there."

Nothing's changed. It still goes on today.
Maybe. But derailleurs at that coop were fine a couple of years before that, and are okay now. It was just that span of a few months that the bolts were missing. I just think there was an overzealous volunteer with too much time on his or her hands. It just seems so stupid to take them apart that way when they're not really all that interchangeable. Or maybe they had a lot of demand for those bolts, I don't know. I know the only time I've wanted a bolt was when it was missing on the stupid derailleur in the first place. Of course I didn't buy the derailleur because... it was missing the bolt. Circular, and petty, I know.
Old 06-14-21, 11:16 AM
Nubra 

If you are lucky enough to find the bolts but not any shims you may have a work-around - if there are sufficient threads of the bolt protruding you can use a 10x1 rear axle locknut on the inner side of the dropout/claw and set your clearance with it.
Hey One Click, That is a handy work around. Thanks so much, I am using it for the one complete derailleur (missing the shim) that I have and it works beautifully!

Old 06-14-21, 11:19 AM
Nubra 

YEP, plenty of hangers (including multiple offers from members on this forum). No hex bolts. A little further down, member has described machining a bole and using sleeve. Don't know that I'll be able to do that, but will hold on to the in completes for a while.

Old 06-14-21, 01:05 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I have two of everything you need, the problem is that I'd then be in the same boat you are in with two RDs that need the same stuff
Old 06-14-21, 04:15 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I have two of everything you need, the problem is that I'd then be in the same boat you are in with two RDs that need the same stuff
This is the cross we all bear.
Likes For clubman:
Old 06-14-21, 05:45 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
There came a point in time when I no longer bought a frame without an integrated derailleur hanger. I have an Altoids box full of hangers. I'll paw through it. Maybe get lucky. I do have a VGT Luxe on one bike, so there is a possibility.

Old 06-15-21, 07:18 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by Nubra
YEP, plenty of hangers (including multiple offers from members on this forum). No hex bolts. A little further down, member has described machining a bole and using sleeve. Don't know that I'll be able to do that, but will hold on to the in completes for a while.

If you give me specifics, I'll continue the search. There are likely other bits around, less organized than this was. Let me know if it's of any use to you.
Edit: I see. It's not exactly the same. But the numbers match

Last edited by seedsbelize; 06-15-21 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-16-21, 12:32 AM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
If you give me specifics, I'll continue the search. There are likely other bits around, less organized than this was. Let me know if it's of any use to you.
Beautiful.
The hex bolts are perfect and I can certainly get another hanger. I will PM you . THANKS!

Old 06-16-21, 02:17 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I've been irritated by this problem (missing bolt & bits) before, and a few days ago I started making a list of all the Suntour mechs with bolts etcetera of this general pattern. So far what I have is just part numbers for some of the model numbers, and it seems there are substitutions possible. From Velobase I have 77 different Suntour model numbers, so I could use some help.

The next stage is measuring the parts. If you - OR ANYONE ELSE READING THIS - have a set of calipers can you measure those bolts? The critical numbers are head dia, shaft dia, shaft length, and threaded section length; and it would help of course to have the mech model number from which it came.

If there are any shims then ID, OD, and thickness, and where in the sequence they are positioned. Suntour seems to have used the term "bush" for all such parts, and they didn't always have one on each side of the mech knuckle. A complete sequence I have termed Bolt - <shim> - Knuckle - <bush> - Hanger - <nut>
Likes For oneclick:
Old 06-16-21, 04:01 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

I applaud your efforts. I have a set of calipers and will pitch in where I can. The majority of my spare rds don't have bolts.

Likes For seedsbelize: