Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

On-the-wheel tubular tire repair

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

On-the-wheel tubular tire repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 05:40 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
As I said #31 in 2010, auto Slime works fine. It's made for sealing punctures in car and truck tires and stays active for years.

My wife's car has a very slow, unfindable leak in one of the alloy wheels. I have to re-Slime it about every three years.
Old 03-28-14, 03:14 AM
Ice41000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Everybody knows fixing flats is the bane of tubular tire users, so when I got a flat on a nearly new tire I decided to try something different. I was too lazy to rip off the tire, open the casing, and fix the tube, and the tire wasn't that good that it justified having the repair professionally done, so after a little thought I decided I'd try some of that new-fangled tire sealant. I picked up a bottle at the LBS, got home and of course discovered that my tires don't have removable valve cores.

No matter; this stuff is supposed to seal punctures, right, so what's another hole? I gathered my materials:

1 bottle "Stan's Tire Sealant," fresh from the LBS, well agitated.
1 20cc piston syringe
1 22ga hypodermic needle
1 Pista floor pump
1 wheel with punctured tubular tire.

Step 1: put a little air in the tire, using aforementioned pump. This gives the tube some shape and allows me to introduce the needle without transfixing the tube. Fortunately the leak was small enough to retain the air for several minutes:

Step 2: remove plunger from syringe, attach needle, and introduce needle into the tube. You know you're in the right place when you hear the air return. Just like a chest tube!

Step 3: remove syringe from needle hub, leaving needle properly placed in the tube. The 22ga needle lumen is still quite small, so it will take a while for a significant amount of air to be lost. In any case, you can always add more.

Step 4: fill syringe with sealant from bottle. I used about 15cc. The LBS guy told me the bottle held enough for 2 tires (59ml), but the bottle states it was intended for MTB tires. I figured I could get away with less with narrow tubulars.

Step 5: attach syringe to needle hub and inject sealant.

Step 6: remove needle, inflate to full pressure, and give the wheel a good spin to spread the sealant around, then wait to see if it works.

Several hours later, it's still at full pressure, so I declare the procedure a success!
Do you carry your repair kit on your rides?
Old 03-28-14, 05:09 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Why he put a hole in the tire instead of squirting the stuff through the valve stem I'll never know.
Old 03-28-14, 05:24 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
Why he put a hole in the tire instead of squirting the stuff through the valve stem I'll never know.
Valve core was not removable so there was no space to get the needle into the valve.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-28-14, 05:29 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Skip the needle and use a piece of tubing, or just enlarge the hole in the squirt bottle and thread it on the stem.
Old 03-28-14, 05:37 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Skip the needle and use a piece of tubing, or just enlarge the hole in the squirt bottle and thread it on the stem.
Does the slime ever gum up the valve so that it sticks or the orifice gets sealed, and you can't get air in?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 03-28-14, 05:48 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Does the slime ever gum up the valve so that it sticks or the orifice gets sealed, and you can't get air in?
I used the big bottle like for cars on a Ralley that didn't have a removable core. I just threaded the bottle's nipple onto the valve. The opening was already the right size. Slime has some bridging material that does block flow, but if you do a pump then suck kind of thing a few times you'll get plenty in - worked great.
Old 03-28-14, 06:49 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Non-removable core, and I didn't think to use a piece of tubing over the stem. I'll do that next time, but meanwhile the original repair held up just fine.
Old 03-28-14, 05:11 PM
Fred Smedley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I thought this to be applicable to this discussion.
Sealant Test - Part 1 - Slowtwitch.com
Sealant Test - Part 2 - Slowtwitch.com
Old 10-29-15, 09:08 PM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bumping an old thread.

I recently got a goathead thorn in my less than 100 mile () front tub...and the Stan's has been holding 90psi (pressure I ride at) for over a week. I pretreat with Stan's so I didn't have to get off the bike. Some sprayed out...but sealed up after a few seconds. Air pressure was low. I could have used a co2, but since I was a couple miles from home...I just rode it home.
Old 10-29-15, 10:26 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i know, i know, old thread...

i plan, haven't had the need to try it yet, to attempt something similar when i get a flat on my Tufo tubulars. they are tubeless too.

i figure, that because they are tubeless, it shouldn't be too difficult to find the hole in the tire. i plan to attempt inserting a hypodermic in the hole (no need to introduce a new hole or fuss with valve stems, removeable or not) and trying a few different substances to plug the hole. 1) shoe goo (the stuff is nasty and sticks to everything, forever), superglue (it's cheap and available) and 3) some type of purpose made tire sealant. i don't plan on use very much of whatever i try either, maybe 1/4 cc. just enough to cover the hole from the inside. we'll see...

IIRC, there's some flat fixing gizmo on the market that is designed to work similarly, can't remember what it is though.

edit: found it. it's called patch'n-ride. they're not going to get my money, but here's a video if you're interested...

https://youtu.be/I0w8zmcO_Cw

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 10-29-15 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-30-15, 12:23 AM
I <3 Robots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Patch N Ride is pricey...but worth every penny if can fix the leak permanently. I don't see how much the refills are.
Old 10-30-15, 05:16 AM
rpenmanparker 

I carry Vittoria Pit Stop on the road. I haven't needed it on a ride yet, but did use one at home for a pin hole leak I discovered prior to a ride. That was a month ago. Seems to be working fine. Holds air as well as new and now provide protection for future punctures. One caution to you all however: remember that the propellant in the can is CO2 (or similar). Especially if your tubulars have latex tubes (but even with butyl), you will lose pressure very quickly after the repair inflation. That is just due to the very poor barrier of latex for the CO2. After you refill a couple of times with air, the tire will hold pressure normally assuming the sealant is working.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-30-15, 04:41 PM
I <3 Robots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pit Stop has been hit or miss for me. At 15 to 18 bucks a can...it's expensive when it's a miss. CO2 seems to bleed out quickly no matter what tube material is used. Latex tubes plain bleed air. I used to run the Vittoria CX II's with latex tubes. The tires would be almost flat after a few days. The latex tube didn't seem to work that well with the Stan's. Almost like the Stan's would permeate the tube.
Old 08-11-21, 11:32 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
My thread has resurrected!
Prove it.