Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Facebook seller fees are DOUBLING

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Facebook seller fees are DOUBLING

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 09:32 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3032 Post(s)
Liked 1,198 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Hmm, is this about buying or selling? In any event. in both cases, I find it's the millennials and other younger generations who need "educating". There seems to be some part of "cash only" that some younger people don't understand. I've literally baffled some with the notion that I do not have CashApp/Venmo or a smart phone. When buying on CL, I've also found that most younger people assume that I'll be able to text or Email them when I reach (or approach) the meeting place. I ALWAYS Email the seller before leaving home, give an ETA, and say "I won't have Email or text while on the road, so I'll call when I arrive (or you can call me)." That notion just seems to be lost on some.
You are definitely a luddite in a relation to the rest of us. Seriously? No venmo/paypal or smart phone?!!
Old 04-17-24, 10:38 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4249 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,818 Posts
He's not the only one. I have a smartphone in my car glove box (pay as you go) for emergencies, but it doesn't have any payment aps on it and almost never leaves the glove box.

Likes For himespau:
Old 04-17-24, 01:22 PM
prj71

Jeepers.

Next thing you know you'll tell me you have a 2 soup cans with a string between them for communication and use a horse and buggy to go to work.
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-17-24, 02:35 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked 1,756 Times in 1,196 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Here, people think you're going to screw them over; in a car-centric city, every meeting place is a lonely parking lot. Even then, if there was a mugging in plain sight, you'd probably get more people taking video of it for Only in Dade than anyone physically intervening.
Precisely why I live close to a REAL downtown and multiple walkable business districts. It's served my purposes well.

I never understood what sort of sick heart possesses anyone to idly witness violence without either intervening or at least reporting it, just to be able to watch it later.

Originally Posted by dedhed
I only communicate by FB messenger. I often get "text me" but tell those DM only.
So FB Messenger is the most common way to communicate for FBM ads? Makes sense.
Meeting elsewhere really depends on what you're selling. I sold a lot of furniture, farm items, and antique architectural items that aren't moving anywhere until they load on a buyers truck.
I'll be facing that shortly. I have a pair of JBL speakers about 3.5 feet tall, each weighing probably 50 pounds, I want to sell. Gonna be a challenge.

Dang, I want that topper! I have a cab-height topper on my '90s Ford, and a "riser" topper like that would make for a MUCH better "motel".

Originally Posted by prj71
You are definitely a luddite in a relation to the rest of us. Seriously? No venmo/paypal or smart phone?!!
Oh I've had PayPal for close to 20 years. Only reason I don't have the others is that they require a smart phone to register. I still put "cash only" in the ad, just to filter out scammers. I have occasionally accepted PayPal, but without cell-based Internet access, that only works if I bring a laptop along and we meet at a place that has WiFi. Too much hassle for small-dollar items.

... and use a horse and buggy to go to work.
I'm retired. Last job was 24+ years, commuted by bus, bike, foot, and occasionally canoe. Most recently by slipper (worked from home the last 4 years) Never once started a motor vehicle to get to work.

Last edited by madpogue; 04-17-24 at 02:39 PM.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 04-19-24, 07:59 AM
retlaw53 
Volunteer wrench

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Suburan, 1971 Peugoet UO8, 1984 Nishiki Cresta, 1984 Nishiki Olympic, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1996 Waterford 1250, 2018 Cannondale Synaspe Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 22 Posts
I use FB Marketplace, Craigslist and Ebay. For FB and CL, it's always local pickup, cash in hand. CL and especially FB have too many hackers/scammers trolling their sites to consider doing business involving any form of electronic payments.
Old 04-23-24, 09:02 AM
prj71

Never once started a motor vehicle to get to work.
Probably based on you where you live. Although wintertime and snow storms / rainy days kinda suck for a riding a bike to work.

I've managed to live (on purpose) away from anything that is a big city or burb. Living out in the country AWAY from the rat race is much better.
Old 04-26-24, 01:53 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked 1,756 Times in 1,196 Posts
Probably based on you where you live. Although wintertime and snow storms / rainy days kinda suck for a riding a bike to work.
Rain was the only real challenge. Cold/snow were not.

(Main arterial commuter MUP before being plowed)

I've managed to live (on purpose) away from anything that is a big city or burb. Living out in the country AWAY from the rat race is much better.
That's my next phase. This is by no means a "big" city, but it's growing and thus taking on some big city characteristics. The bike-friendliness is about the only thing that continues to make it a good place to live.

Getting back (partway, anyway) on topic, can anyone explain how locality works on FBM? Craigslist is location-based at its core. So I think there's an underlying assumption that shipping / remote payment are off the menu, unless specified otherwise. I get the sense that FBM is the opposite; since your ad is on a global site, your item is presumed to be available for shipping and online payment, unless you specify local / cash. Is that accurate? If so, what's the best way to specify local / cash in FBM ads? Are there check-boxes / radio buttons for such specs? Are there ways to filter ads by such specs?
Likes For madpogue:
Old 04-27-24, 09:14 AM
SDHawk

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 118 Posts

Getting back (partway, anyway) on topic, can anyone explain how locality works on FBM? Craigslist is location-based at its core. So I think there's an underlying assumption that shipping / remote payment are off the menu, unless specified otherwise. I get the sense that FBM is the opposite; since your ad is on a global site, your item is presumed to be available for shipping and online payment, unless you specify local / cash. Is that accurate? If so, what's the best way to specify local / cash in FBM ads? Are there check-boxes / radio buttons for such specs? Are there ways to filter ads by such specs?
Good question. My experience when selling full bikes is that FB assumes you are NOT shipping and defaults to local pickup. That's what happens for me anyway when I choose "Bicycles" as category. You can overrride that and offer shipping I believe.

I think for parts and other smaller items it does default to offer shipping, but that too can be overrridden.

As for what I see when browsing, FBM tires to show me bikes but does a pretty bad job of it. I do see local bikes, but also see many distant bikes that don't offer shipping (and would be too expensive to ship anyway)? A $150 MTB from the UK... why show this to me? And they also show "recently sold" bikes.... why?!?
Old 04-29-24, 10:47 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by SDHawk
Good question. My experience when selling full bikes is that FB assumes you are NOT shipping and defaults to local pickup. That's what happens for me anyway when I choose "Bicycles" as category. You can overrride that and offer shipping I believe.

I think for parts and other smaller items it does default to offer shipping, but that too can be overrridden.

As for what I see when browsing, FBM tires to show me bikes but does a pretty bad job of it. I do see local bikes, but also see many distant bikes that don't offer shipping (and would be too expensive to ship anyway)? A $150 MTB from the UK... why show this to me? And they also show "recently sold" bikes.... why?!?
Once you indicate that you will ship the item that's where Facebook marketplace wants to use their system and charge you a fee. That's why I don't use it. Just mark as local pickup and mention shipping costs in the description and PayPal, Venmo etc. only for payment. That way you never have to worry Facebook seller fees.
Old 04-29-24, 11:21 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 3,408 Times in 2,063 Posts
You have the option when you create the ad to specify local pickup. If someone asks if I'll ship, and it's an item I would ship, it gets discussed and confirmed and they pay by paypal including shipping.