Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

What to do with my Dads Bike - Jo Routens 1973

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

What to do with my Dads Bike - Jo Routens 1973

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-21, 11:23 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
juvela-
Good point on the lugless BB. Manufrance offered its Hirondelle line of bikes with lugless brazed frames which may be supportive of them as the producer of the Routens under discussion. The one Hirondelle I've seen in the metal was an AO 8 level bike but the lugless brazing was beautifully done with near perfect radii.
Old 11-12-21, 01:18 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 3,341 Times in 2,180 Posts
-----

shell note -

some Manufrance products, certainly not all, employed CH dimension shells

the bottom bracket cups here appear to be the Peyrard chrome plated ones

if they were the BARDON/REWAX black oxide type we could tell if shell were M or CH by the number of flats on the fixed cup, in those eight flats equals CH

---

many mid to lower level Manufrance built bicycles came through with vertically drilled seat stay bridges

none of the images provided show this area clearly enough to make a determination

a vertically drilled bridge in this case would tend to be confirmatory of a Manufrance origin for the cycle

while a horizontally drilled bridge would not at all rule it out

-----

Last edited by juvela; 11-12-21 at 02:14 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-12-21, 03:01 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 185 Posts
I'm very impressed with the quick sleuthing by bertinjim and juvela ! I don't have much else to add; I agree that this bike was not made by Jo Routens himself, as it does not show any of the signatures of a constructeur bike, or more specifically, Routens's handiwork such as a twin-plate fork crown, integrated handmade derailleurs, custom press-fit bottom bracket, or the Hellenic stays. Given that the front derailleur and shifters are Simplex but the rear derailleur is a Suntour, it's possible the RD was replaced at some point.

As to value, I'd say north of $500 and south of $1000. The name carries weight with collectors, but most will recognize it for what it is and price it accordingly.
Old 11-14-21, 10:36 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
As is I would agree on the price value being around $500 maybe a bit more to the right buyer and not in the $1000+ range so not a huge treasure.