Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Professional bike fitting

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 09:29 PM
maidenfan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Professional bike fitting

So, the serious bike bug bit me a year or so ago and four bikes later I'm still going strong. I dont ride as much as a lot of you, but I swim, wrestle, run, etc, etc too. I manage to ride 2-4 times a week depending on the weather. Anyway, after spending hours upon hours in the local bike shop I decided to plop the $150 on a professional bike fitting and see what the hubbub was all about.

Wow - what a difference from the the few minutes I've gotten in the past adjusting seat posts and stems. Took about three hours the first time (hint - liked it so much I had my road bike done). Flexibility tests, history questions, goals, what kind of rides, all sorts of questions. Laser shots on the lower legs/knees as you ride to see how you track, bike measurements, spacers on the pedals/cleat adjustments, etc, etc.

The lowdown for me was the body fit on the bike wasn't really that revolutionary (there were a few points though - like an actually plumb to see where the knee tracked vs. an "eyeball") - I figured that part out on my own w/the initial fits and just riding. The HUGE difference was the cleat adjustments - wow - getting my legs to track straight was a night and day difference - totally worth the $150.

It was a good experience for me. I had mine done by "Matt" at the Woodstock Bike Gallery in Portland, Or. He did both my bikes and I'd totally recommend him if you're in the Portland, Or area. We also have a guy by the name of Michael Sylvester who is supposed to be the bike fitting guru, but I dont have any experience with him.

If you have a good bike you think you're gonna keep for a while I'd totally recommend it