Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding on Ritalin

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Riding on Ritalin

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 03:53 PM
Step Down

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Riding on Ritalin

My Dr has me on maintenance Ritalin for ADD and it has changed my life. I'm a better employee, better member of my family (less disruptive) more focused etc. AND a better cyclist however I hesitate to include that with all the Landis stuff going on just now. I am only a recreational cyclist and find Ritalin effects my cycling in the following ways:

1. More motivated to get out there

2. More motivation to use the indoor trainer when can't get out

3. More endurance (yea I know its speed)

My heart rate does not appear to be affected by Ritalin, it certianly is by over training.

I'm intrested to know what others who are taking this drug for non performance enhancing purposes experience in their rides.

thanks in advance

steppy
Likes For Step Down:
Old 07-28-06, 04:32 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had ADD once when I was a kid. Then, my Dad got ahold of me. I didn't have any trouble paying attention after that.
Likes For Patriot:
Old 07-28-06, 05:37 PM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Great when I was up, bad when I was down. I would just make sure to stay hydrated and use a HRM.
Sometimes my HR would just shoot up. Also would sometimes get a low in the afternoons as if I was going through a withdrawal. One other thing, I know this sounds a bit much but it can affect judgement a bit. You think you're reacting well, but you can overdo it.

Good luck with it.
Old 07-28-06, 05:39 PM
dk21

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't really comment on it from a cycling standpoint...I haven't taken it for years, but it definitely changed my life for the better and got me active again. I had chronic fatigue and would fall asleep uncontrollably when I was younger. I saw doctors for about 6 years and was tested for everything that was known. They found something, tried to treat it, but I didn't see improvement. Unfortunately I also tested negative for narcolepsy...the most likely culprit. Long story short, my grandfather had connections at Johns Hopkins Hospital and I got to see the world's best Dr for this sort of thing. As it turned out I had an undocumented medical condition (this doctor was the only one who recognized this condition) and was one of only a few hundred people in the world to be diagnosed with it. While most of the treatment was physical therapy, I was put on Ritalin to help with overall energy and to help keep me awake. It really helped me out and made my life a lot better. I became active again and life got better in all respects! Now I don't need it anymore, but I can definitely say that if you legitimately need it, it can really change your life for the better.
Likes For dk21: