Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brand New Shimano UN-300 Bottom Bracket Damaged??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-22, 08:00 AM
70slibrarymusic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Another newbie thread coming thru. So I just bought a brand new UN-300 from LBS and as I was testing it out just gently hand-threading both sides on the BB shell, I noticed there was a bit of a snag on the NDS cup. Tried exerting a bit more effort than gentle and it was still turning so I figured it must be ok. I was doing this very gently because this is a repainted frame I just bought for cheap and I wanted to check if the BB threads were good. DS threaded in nice and smoothly going all the way in with no tools, NDS was the same until I got to the problem mentioned above. Inspected the BB shell threads and it seems good but I saw this on the brand new bottom bracket.

Did a bit of searching and found similar problems re: UN-300 having a hard time threading in but none that showed damaged threads.

Are BB threads this fragile that even hand-threading could damage them? I didn't use any tools and no real exertion of elbow grease this time. Already contacted the store asking for a replacement but I'm also thinking if the threads on this frame is damaged enough to have also damaged the brand new BB. Thoughts?

P.S. Can I also just force the BB onto the frame? I have yet to use tools or any real force.
Old 02-06-22, 08:09 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Looks like just build or something in the locking compound. I don't think it's a damaged thread.
Old 02-06-22, 08:36 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 544 Posts
I would take it back to your LBS for a replacement.
Real world, if it started to thread in with the proper tool it would probably work fine.
Old 02-06-22, 11:05 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Looks like alloy cups and far enough into the threads that I doubt it'll cause any problems. The threads will probably clean themselves upon installation.
Old 02-06-22, 05:11 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
You're saying that's it's the NDS side but it's labelled as a left hand thread??
Likes For clubman:
Old 02-06-22, 05:17 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by 70slibrarymusic
Another newbie thread coming thru. So I just bought a brand new UN-300 from LBS and as I was testing it out just gently hand-threading both sides on the BB shell, I noticed there was a bit of a snag on the NDS cup. Tried exerting a bit more effort than gentle and it was still turning so I figured it must be ok. I was doing this very gently because this is a repainted frame I just bought for cheap and I wanted to check if the BB threads were good. DS threaded in nice and smoothly going all the way in with no tools, NDS was the same until I got to the problem mentioned above. Inspected the BB shell threads and it seems good but I saw this on the brand new bottom bracket.
That will neither affect the strength of the cup, or (almost certainly) be the cause of the difficulty you are having screwing it in. None of the thread damage extends into the space where the matching threads of the BB shell will be.

I suspect rather that you have the fixed cup screwed in tight, and because of manufacturing tolerances or wear the non-drive-side end of the assembly is just slightly out-of-line with the cup itself. Those cups have a portion just the right size to accept the bearing, and inboard of that that a slightly larger diameter. If the assembly end is even a little out-of-line it can catch on the step between the bearing seat and the inner larger diameter portion.

To avoid this I install the drive side cup but do not fully tighten it; then I install the non-drive-side cup far enough to get the bearing correctly lined up and inserted in the bearing seat, then I fully tighten the drive side and finish the non-drive-side after that.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 02-06-22, 05:52 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
You're saying that's it's the NDS side but it's labelled as a left hand thread??
Interesting; but visually, the threads appear to be right hand thread.
Old 02-06-22, 09:08 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
There are low-end Shimano bottom brackets that thread in from the left, clockwise, until the NDS flange bottoms on the shell.

Then, the "adjustable" (i.e. floating) cup threads into the drive side end, CCW.

Yes, they are backwards, but the printing on the cartridge body reads from left to right as installed, and the cranks end up where they should be (if the cranks and bb are properly paired).
Old 02-07-22, 03:44 AM
70slibrarymusic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by madpogue
Interesting; but visually, the threads appear to be right hand thread.
Correct, the text goes in first, so the arrow points clockwise to tighten. Sorry for that, might've misled some people.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Can't wait to ride. This forum is the best. ​​​​