Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Of the major Italian builders, where would you put each in regards to hierarchy?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Of the major Italian builders, where would you put each in regards to hierarchy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-22, 12:34 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 156 Posts
Another vote for Zullo. Not sure how it ranks but the workmanship of my '91 Zullo SLX frame is excellent, and the geometry produced a nice stable but agile ride that is more fun than I deserve. Nothing special about the tubing and lugs but no complaints either. I've had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Zullo in Austin a couple of times and corresponded with him while restoring the frame. The fact that Zullo is still producing beautiful, traditional lugged frames rates them up with the greats in my humble opinion. I've handled some of their recently built frames both traditionally lugged and non-lugged alike and the workmanship is right up there with the best - the paintwork is spectacular.

I restored mine because it was a straight frame but in need of a good paint job, going from purple no-less to the pearl orange you see now. As a kid growing up, the shop I grew up with carried Zullo, Gios, Picchio, and later Tommasini. I settled on Miyatas at the time that were within my budget but I never forgot the Zullos. I was able to pick up a nice straight frame and spent some time deciding the color and design of the graphics, which Mr. Zullo approved of. Is it original? Heck no, but it's not some bike that will ever be super collectible. I recently removed the 8-speed Superbe Pro and re-built it with 11-speed Campy Athena.

'91 Zullo SLX w/Superbe Pro 8-speed groupset

'91 Zullo SLX w/Campy Athena 11-speed groupset
Old 07-02-22, 10:46 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Should have reconsidered the Picchio I looked at recently at the Eroica California swap. The dark orange paint was quite chipped, the $400 price tag was just a bit too steep for a frame and fork in that shape.
One cannot have them all.
After having ridden a Picchio I would have paid full price if it were in my size. We had and used two during our time in RAAM and they were superb in the way they rode and handled. They are not a frame designed for touring but as a good solid racing geometry and ride I think they are unbeatable. I have been lucky enough to have ridden many marquee bikes but some like this one fly under the radar. Smiles, MH
Old 07-03-22, 01:58 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've got eight Italian bikes. The way I'd rank them (my bikes, not necessarily the brands) right now is this:

Bianchi
Colnago
Maschiagi
Masi
De Rosa
Gios
Pinarello
Viner

A lot of that has to do with the components on the bikes. The De Rosa, Masi, and Gios all have period-correct vintage builds with side pull brakes, which I don't really enjoy. (I know, I may be in the wrong forum.) My preferred build is 3x10 Campy, and the Bianchi is the only bike on this list built that way. The Pinarello has tried to kill me with speed wobble a couple of times, but it's still fun to ride. The Viner has a stuck seatpost and I haven't ridden it much. If I built them all with the same components, which would be my favorite? Probably the one that looked nicest. That may be why the Bianchi is on top even now. I'm not sure there's enough difference between the frames to separate them. I like them all.
Old 07-03-22, 09:00 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I've got eight Italian bikes. The way I'd rank them (my bikes, not necessarily the brands) right now is this:

Bianchi
Colnago
Maschiagi
Masi
De Rosa
Gios
Pinarello
Viner

A lot of that has to do with the components on the bikes. The De Rosa, Masi, and Gios all have period-correct vintage builds with side pull brakes, which I don't really enjoy. (I know, I may be in the wrong forum.) My preferred build is 3x10 Campy, and the Bianchi is the only bike on this list built that way. The Pinarello has tried to kill me with speed wobble a couple of times, but it's still fun to ride. The Viner has a stuck seatpost and I haven't ridden it much. If I built them all with the same components, which would be my favorite? Probably the one that looked nicest. That may be why the Bianchi is on top even now. I'm not sure there's enough difference between the frames to separate them. I like them all.
check the Pinarello frame / fork alignment AND double check the wheel dish.

I have a bunch of Italian bikes.

the Pinarello Montello and the Early 80's Gios both subscribe to a shorter top tube, steeper head angle FCI design recommendations.
to set them up correctly a longer stem is needed, placing more weight on the front wheel. Entertaining but not an all day mount.

the Colnagos also are rewarding to ride, well suited now as rarely get out for longer than three hours. I have bikes from '68 - '73
the early bike is a bit longer.

Masi, the sentimental favorite. The Volumetrica is stiffer, a twin plate crown fork GC takes the bumps better.

a Surprise is a 1953 Preziosi. Front end almost like a bike from the 70's, long chainstays and low bottom bracket. A winner.

an Ideor Asso is a forerunner of 1960's Italian bikes, it is from 1958. Long and comfortable, a bit slow in the steering.

that is not really a ranking, use and mood dependent.
Likes For repechage: