Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Cult of CAAD...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Cult of CAAD...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 11:39 PM
itzwill

Bikes: CAAD 10 2105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guy's, I currently have a CAAD 10 with Shimano 105 11 Speed Group Set. My bicycle is equipped with a FSA Gossamer BB30 crank, I have notice this crank tends to be pretty fragile and tends to be not as stiff as certain cranks on the market such as Shimano 105 crank. I have chipped my FSA inner crank buy changing gears but it has given me some thought on purchasing another crank.

I'm contemplating on purchasing a 105 crank, attached with a BB30 to 24mm Crank Spindle Shim wiggle.com.au | Wheels Manufacturing BB30 to 24mm Crank Spindle Shims | Bottom Brackets so I will have the full 105 set or to purchase a FSA SL-K Crabon crank.

Would Sram Red cranks work as well ? I have heard that some people don't like mixing group sets or it can cause issues.
I'm also planning on purchasing Stages Power Meter very soon so my options are very limited. I'm not to sure which crank I should purchase so I need a bit of suggestions.
Thanks.
Old 07-27-15, 02:22 AM
raisinberry777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by itzwill
I'm contemplating on purchasing a 105 crank, attached with a BB30 to 24mm Crank Spindle Shim wiggle.com.au | Wheels Manufacturing BB30 to 24mm Crank Spindle Shims | Bottom Brackets so I will have the full 105 set or to purchase a FSA SL-K Crabon crank.
To go 105 crank with a reducer will cost about $200 for the same weight, and no noticeable difference in stiffness. If anything, it'll probably be less stiff.

As for the FSA one, well, the SL-K Light saves about 80g. Not a whole lot given what it costs. SRAM Red would work too and be a little lighter, but again up to you if it's worth it.

I would just stick with what you've got, and buy the FSA BB30 Stages crank arm. Training properly to power will make you faster than any crankset ever will. Boring answer, I know.
Old 07-27-15, 04:16 AM
itzwill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raisinberry777
To go 105 crank with a reducer will cost about $200 for the same weight, and no noticeable difference in stiffness. If anything, it'll probably be less stiff.

As for the FSA one, well, the SL-K Light saves about 80g. Not a whole lot given what it costs. SRAM Red would work too and be a little lighter, but again up to you if it's worth it.

I would just stick with what you've got, and buy the FSA BB30 Stages crank arm. Training properly to power will make you faster than any crankset ever will. Boring answer, I know.
Yer, I was thinking the same thing, I think I will just purchase the Stages Power Meter instead. Do you know if the Stages BB30 Power meter crank are the same for the gossamer and the SLK ? I can't seem to find any answers, because I will most likely upgrade to the SLK in the near future.
Old 07-27-15, 04:22 AM
raisinberry777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
They only make one, and it's to match the FSA Energy crank (the step up from Gossamer).
Old 07-27-15, 06:57 AM
fasdriah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ugly and unimaginative.

Old 07-27-15, 08:28 AM
Fldaves

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How is the 2006 caad8 frame for long touring rides. My LBS has a new OS one in my size that I'm thinking about purchasing for longer rides.
Old 07-28-15, 08:05 AM
Ladeef

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by itzwill
Hey guy's, I currently have a CAAD 10 with Shimano 105 11 Speed Group Set. My bicycle is equipped with a FSA Gossamer BB30 crank, I have notice this crank tends to be pretty fragile and tends to be not as stiff as certain cranks on the market such as Shimano 105 crank. I have chipped my FSA inner crank buy changing gears but it has given me some thought on purchasing another crank.

Would Sram Red cranks work as well ? I have heard that some people don't like mixing group sets or it can cause issues.
I'm also planning on purchasing Stages Power Meter very soon so my options are very limited. I'm not to sure which crank I should purchase so I need a bit of suggestions.
Thanks.
I recently ditched my Gossamer for the FSA SL-K light crank. Found it for around $100 used and it's a good upgrade. Noticeable weight difference. Direct bolt-on, just switch out the arms.
Old 07-28-15, 04:06 PM
itzwill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ladeef
I recently ditched my Gossamer for the FSA SL-K light crank. Found it for around $100 used and it's a good upgrade. Noticeable weight difference. Direct bolt-on, just switch out the arms.
Thank's for the reply. $100 is a steal, I'm from Aus and they retail for $300. After consideration I might as well just get a SLK crank and a stages power meter.
Old 07-28-15, 07:16 PM
Ladeef

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my 2014 CAAD 8 61cm

Giant PSL-0 Wheels
FSA SLK carbon cranks
Fizik aliante seat
cut fork

Last edited by Ladeef; 07-28-15 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-30-15, 11:03 PM
thismoment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and this is my first posting! I have a question to ask regarding choosing my first road bike!
I was pretty certain that I wanted to get Trek Emonda ALR 5 until recently, I came across CAAD10 and, even more recently, the impending CAAD12, and I'm really stuck now. So my question is what do you guys think about getting the ALR 5 vs. CAAD10 Force, Racing Edition vs. CAAD12 105 (with a month or so of waiting, which is most likely going to be a torture!)? Any input would be much appreciated!
Old 07-30-15, 11:42 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thismoment
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and this is my first posting! I have a question to ask regarding choosing my first road bike!
I was pretty certain that I wanted to get Trek Emonda ALR 5 until recently, I came across CAAD10 and, even more recently, the impending CAAD12, and I'm really stuck now. So my question is what do you guys think about getting the ALR 5 vs. CAAD10 Force, Racing Edition vs. CAAD12 105 (with a month or so of waiting, which is most likely going to be a torture!)? Any input would be much appreciated!
You're asking a bunch of CAAD fans if they prefer a CAAD to a Trek.

Old 07-31-15, 07:05 AM
thismoment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, I had indeed realized that soon after I posted the question, and considered posting another one requesting responders to be as objective as possible, but I figured that might be almost impossible. ;P
Old 07-31-15, 07:06 AM
thismoment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and, regardless, there still remains a legitimate comparison between CAAD10 Force Racing vs. CAA12 105, even if Trek is thrown out of the picture~
Old 07-31-15, 07:13 AM
seymour1910

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
You're asking a bunch of CAAD fans if they prefer a CAAD to a Trek.
Haha, I had indeed realized that soon after I posted the question, and considered posting another one requesting responders to be as objective as possible, but I figured that might be almost impossible. ;P
Oh, and, regardless, there still remains a legitimate comparison between CAAD10 Force Racing vs. CAA12 105, even if Trek is thrown out of the picture~
SpeshulEd is correct, in this thread, CAAD is always the answer. You may get some answers if you start a thread on the road forum, but please expect us to come in there and point you back here. The only none CAAD that will get any love in this thread is the Supersix, and even that's limited. Good luck with your search, but the answer is CAAD
Old 07-31-15, 07:14 AM
Chris Bamford

Bikes: 2021 Scott Speedster, 2001 Giant MTB

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
My New-To-Me CAADX

A Mr. D. Lefty suggested I post a pic of my 2012 CAADX here. I bought it Wednesday through an advert on our local Kijiji site — the 20-something vendor bought it new "back when I was dating a cop who rode" but apparently the relationship only lasted another 50km and the bike was parked in the basement. I don't know about the 50km, but the bike looks totally brand new, was covered in dust, and still had all the nubbies and centre line on the tires.

Cost was $700 (US$541) including a nice floor pump, Abus folding lock, unworn helmet and assorted small items.

Yesterday was my first real ride and those were 38 glorious miles indeed, absolutely the nicest bike I've ever owned. The Cannondale takes the place of my 2001 Giant rigid MTB for fair weather recreation and transportation, and the Giant will be my utility/winter/wet weather machine. The bare CAADX weighs 22 lb and 28 lb road-ready (water, lock, lights, tools, cell phone etc.) vs my 45 lb road-ready Giant. Nice.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CJB Cannondale medres.jpg (98.2 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg
Giant bike hilltop lores.jpg (101.6 KB, 182 views)
Old 07-31-15, 07:28 AM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
The current condition of my newly acquired CAAD9 frame/fork from Craigslist. Really nice ride! Mixture of Ultegra/105 and a little of this/that for wheels, bars/stem, etc... VeloSwap will be in October, so I'll be looking to replace the Roval wheels then.

This is actually the first Cannondale I've ever had. I just thought I wouldn't like them, but.....I was wrong!

Old 07-31-15, 07:39 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice look!! Is that your Hot Shot mount *under* the seat post clamp? (I might try that as I usually have to remove mine to get it out of the way when I'm clamping in the bike stand)

Originally Posted by redtires
The current condition of my newly acquired CAAD9 frame/fork from Craigslist. Really nice ride! Mixture of Ultegra/105 and a little of this/that for wheels, bars/stem, etc... VeloSwap will be in October, so I'll be looking to replace the Roval wheels then.

This is actually the first Cannondale I've ever had. I just thought I wouldn't like them, but.....I was wrong!

Old 07-31-15, 07:51 AM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
Nice look!! Is that your Hot Shot mount *under* the seat post clamp? (I might try that as I usually have to remove mine to get it out of the way when I'm clamping in the bike stand)
Thank you, and yes...it's the mount for the HotShot. Good eye! I was glad it fit there as I personally like the aesthetics of it there vs. on the seatpost.
Old 07-31-15, 04:14 PM
itzwill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raisinberry777
They only make one, and it's to match the FSA Energy crank (the step up from Gossamer).
I just made a order for a FSA BB30 crank, but Stages claim it's suited for all their BB30 cranks. I have a bit of OCD as everything has to be symmetrical, I'm going to order a Energy crank to sooth things out.
Old 08-01-15, 06:18 AM
waranon

Bikes: CANNONDALE CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MY CAAD10, Frame size 48. Really love it.

Last edited by waranon; 03-17-16 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Picture error
Old 08-01-15, 06:52 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by waranon

Sweet Ride!!!
Old 08-01-15, 06:56 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Hey guys, and Gals, I have a wheel width question, what is the widest wheel you know to fit the Caad10 and with what size tire? I'm looking at a set of Easton EC90SL's that are 28mm wide and I'll almost certainly use a 23mm tire. I think they'll clear just fine but wanted to be sure before I spend the money and find out they wont. I recently had a set of Reynolds Assaults on there that were 25mm wide with 25c tires on them and there was plenty of room so I assume I'd be okay? Thanks!
Old 08-01-15, 10:52 AM
Chris_2014

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10 3 Ultegra / Cube AMS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waranon

Looks great!
Old 08-02-15, 01:03 AM
waranon

Bikes: CANNONDALE CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
Sweet Ride!!!
Originally Posted by Chris_2014
Looks great!
Thank you guys.
Old 08-02-15, 01:45 AM
arben

Bikes: 2013 CAAD10 Black Inc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would you use a 23mm tire, let alone a 23mm tire on a 28mm wheel? #thatsnotaero

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.