Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

With a big enough motor you could just use single speed gearing

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-23, 07:30 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

Most ebike systems have basically two gear settings: the motor strength and then the gearing of the bicycle. There is a lot of redundancy there IMO, basically where the power ratios are duplicated, kind of like how 27 gear bicycles had a lot of redundant gears.

It appears to me that it makes the most sense to just have a giant ebike hub motor (that can also do regen) and have an optional single speed gearing. The motor would do most of the work, especially on hills., while the single speed gearing would be used on flats or downhills.

My current ebike has 250watts middrive. I guess like a 750 watt or 1000 watt or even higher hub motor combined with a 42:20 single speed chain ratio would be a good idea?
Old 07-25-23, 07:42 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Most ebike systems have basically two gear settings: the motor strength and then the gearing of the bicycle. There is a lot of redundancy there IMO, basically where the power ratios are duplicated, kind of like how 27 gear bicycles had a lot of redundant gears.
I wouldn't call it redundancy. One cool thing about eBikes (as opposed to mopeds) is that they are not too heavy to pedal, in case the motor can't be employed. Many eBikes are 60+ lbs, and would not be pedalable if they only had a single higher gear. I have one such bike in my garage now, the Lectric XP Lite. Its single gear is set up for a comfortable cadence at about 15 mph. This is a good speed for average flat terrain. Going uphill? Going to need to use a lot of juice. Going downhill? You won't be able to pedal fast enough. Having just the one gear essentially puts my speed envelope between 11-18 mph.

I have a Magicycle Commuter coming in today, also a single speed and I think it's going to be the same thing.

It appears to me that it makes the most sense to just have a giant ebike hub motor (that can also do regen) and have an optional single speed gearing. The motor would do most of the work, especially on hills., while the single speed gearing would be used on flats or downhills.
There are a few drawbacks to this approach:
  1. No mechanical low gear, in case you run out of battery or need to climb a steep hill
  2. No high gear for long, slight downhills, where I might want to go maybe 23 mph.
  3. Big hub motors are heavy. They throw off the balance of the bike, which matters on a bike rack or off road.
  4. Those big hub motors with regen are direct drive and are not torquey enough for climbing. Or if they are, they're motorcycle-heavy. They're more for speed. That's why geared hub motors are so popular.
I like having several speeds. I could settle for three:
  • A climbing gear, set for 3-4 mph, for limping home without battery
  • A cruising gear, for flat ground, set for 13-15 mph
  • A high gear, for slight downhills

My current ebike has 250watts middrive. I guess like a 750 watt or 1000 watt or even higher hub motor combined with a 42:20 single speed chain ratio would be a good idea?
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 07-25-23, 09:45 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Amen to the above! The limits for a bicycle in CA (and the US AFAIK) is 750 watts. Anything more is in moped/motorcycle designation and requires license and insurance (as well as hernia protection if you need to transport it - just kidding; my 1500w street bike weighs only 45 pounds without battery).
Likes For 2old:
Old 07-26-23, 08:21 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
I have thought the same thing about a single speed working on an ebike. But that means you will have to pedal really slowly uphill, even though the motor might carry you up a hill. For a flat place, it might work correctly.
Old 07-26-23, 09:48 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Really good point above (obviously). People residing in most (all) areas of FL have different needs than those in San Francisco.
Old 07-26-23, 01:11 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
The boys over at High Voltage offer an upgrade kit , basically a new controller, to run the BBSHD at 72 volts and 5000 watts.
One of the guys ran his as a one speed with I believe a 1:1 ratio, 42 tooth front and rear. Don't think he actually did much pedalling on it, maybe on really steep hills.
I think that kind of system would work fine with a multi kilowatt motor and different assist levels, wouldn't need to worry about gears.
Old 07-26-23, 02:34 PM
poiuyt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
For information, a quite popular (at least here) e-bike startup (https://www.cowboy.com) has a bike based on this principle. Single speed with belt drive, and variable assist (the slower you go, the more assist you have). These bikes have the reputation to be fun to ride, but lack a bit of power when you have loads (hills, wind), but that is also due to the European limit of 250W.
Old 07-27-23, 10:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 4,007 Times in 2,675 Posts
We built a Specialized Como as a single speed (I think we built two of them actually) and while I enjoyed it as a single speed lover I would not want one as a main bike, just for fun tooling around on flat areas. I don't want a 3x1 bike (as in 3 gears at the front and 1 at the back) which is essentially what that bike was though it was a 1x1 in actual practice. The motor shouldn't be doing all the work and you are likely to just burn it out quickly trying to use it as your gearing instead of just shifting like a normal bike. Also there aren't really redundant gears on an e-bike sure in some triple set ups but not enough to negate the usefulness of a 3x9 set up or something similar.