Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Newbie here - removing back wheel ebike motion Orbea Gain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 07:12 AM
Billy1898

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I’ve not long since taken up cycling again after a long hiatus. I’ve got an Orbea Gain. It has an ebikemotion motion rear hub motor. Unfortunately, I’ve got a flat on the back wheel. I’ve followed a bit of advice online regarding disconnecting the motor (done), undoing the 8mm nuts (done) and taking off the washers (done). I’ve now pulled back on the derailleur to get the wheel to drop out but it won’t budge! It seems still stuck tight in.

Is there something I’m missing? Apologies for the newbieness of this - I’m useless when it comes to this sort of stuff! Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-20, 12:10 PM
Billy1898

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy1898
Hi all,

I’ve not long since taken up cycling again after a long hiatus. I’ve got an Orbea Gain. It has an ebikemotion motion rear hub motor. Unfortunately, I’ve got a flat on the back wheel. I’ve followed a bit of advice online regarding disconnecting the motor (done), undoing the 8mm nuts (done) and taking off the washers (done). I’ve now pulled back on the derailleur to get the wheel to drop out but it won’t budge! It seems still stuck tight in.

Is there something I’m missing? Apologies for the newbieness of this - I’m useless when it comes to this sort of stuff! Thanks in advance.
Edit.....I’ve got it off. Just needed a bit welly! The new problem is trying to remove the Hutchinson TR tyres from the rim - impossible!
Old 03-04-21, 09:51 AM
Inveral

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy1898
Edit.....I’ve got it off. Just needed a bit welly! The new problem is trying to remove the Hutchinson TR tyres from the rim - impossible!
I found removing the rear wheel to be quite easy but like you could not remove the Hutchison tyres. I took it to a friend who does most of his own maintenance but he could not remove it and was afraid to damage the rims. The local Halfords store could not remove it. I ended up taking it to the bike shop that I bought it from and the guy there popped it in less than a minute.
I have since had a puncture on the front tyre and took it to a new local repair guy. He managed to get it off with quite a struggle. Tubeless ready tyres seem to be very difficult to remove and replace. I wouldn’t like to be stuck at the roadside in the wet. Try looking at the various YouTube videos for hints assistance but it is still very difficult.
I can replace my Schwalbe clincher tyres on my hybrid bike with ease.
Old 03-04-21, 12:16 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
I had some issue with my Gain. Actually had a flat and had to ride 13 miles home on flat front tire. Replace tubeless ready rims with old fashion clincher rims. Problem solved.
Old 03-04-21, 08:29 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Inveral
I found removing the rear wheel to be quite easy but like you could not remove the Hutchison tyres. I took it to a friend who does most of his own maintenance but he could not remove it and was afraid to damage the rims. The local Halfords store could not remove it. I ended up taking it to the bike shop that I bought it from and the guy there popped it in less than a minute.
I have since had a puncture on the front tyre and took it to a new local repair guy. He managed to get it off with quite a struggle. Tubeless ready tyres seem to be very difficult to remove and replace. I wouldn’t like to be stuck at the roadside in the wet. Try looking at the various YouTube videos for hints assistance but it is still very difficult.
I can replace my Schwalbe clincher tyres on my hybrid bike with ease.
Just a question out of pure curiosity...how come you didn't initially take the bike to the shop where you purchased it? And a follow up...knowing how effortless the LBS performed the first repair, why did you bypass that shop for the second incident?
Old 03-05-21, 12:58 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
So, you have tubeless ready tires. Were the wheels set up for tubeless? If not, did the manufacturer install tubeless rim tape? If they didn't they should have. Rim tape that is too thick can make it very difficult to remove and reinstall tubeless tires. Setting your tires up the way they were designed to be ridden could prevent many future flats. I have been riding road tubeless tires for 10 years. In all that time I could count the number of flat tires I have had on the fingers of both hands