Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-24, 05:09 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12873 Post(s)
Liked 7,797 Times in 4,136 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
West coast snoozeball update: they broke out the bee vacuum!

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/s...15083679834170
Topps made a card for the bee guy! OOS on Topps site already dare I look at eBay?
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 05-02-24, 07:37 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2702 Post(s)
Liked 3,266 Times in 1,712 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Urrph. These tires are so tight they refuse to pop up onto the shelf with a hand pump. Then I tried the ol' trick to put a tube in to pop a bead on there. But the beads were soapy and the tires so tight that when I pulled the tube out, the other bead just slid right down into the trough again.

Sooo... got the tubes in and I'll ride 'em for a couple days and with any luck the soap will dry and one bead will stay on the shelf and I can get tubeless setup.

I'm sure this is all the fault of big air compressor trying to get me to buy a compressor
What combo are you using? Are both the tire and rim rated as tubeless ready, or tubeless compatible or whatever? Every tubeless rim/tire combo I've tried on MTB has been pretty damn easy.
Old 05-02-24, 07:43 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Funny Zwift Race today. Zwift Crit Racing Club "Dutchy Estate", A race, 1st of 3 starters.

We were a group of three until about halfway in when one dude got dropped after some attack/counter attack shenanigans. Then it was me and Mr. Trek, who (screenshot below) did the lions share of the work. And by that, I mean like all of it. He tried to shake me a few times but couldn't do it, and then would just like motor at 5.0 w/kg continually. I just rode his wheel like ummmm.... ok? I'm not gonna get worn out riding 4-4.5 in his draft. He should have feigned some weakness, or at least just not pulled as hard so his attacks would have been more effective.

In fact I was pretty scared of him, until about 2 laps to go (of 6) I could tell that I had more snap and that he wasn't gonna shake me. I launched on the last little hill about 1.0 miles out and he couldn't hold match my attack. I felt bad just camping his wheel the whole time, but hey that's bike racing. He had stronger legs but didn't do a good job at the whole racing part.

Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-02-24, 07:45 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3262 Post(s)
Liked 1,888 Times in 1,187 Posts
I got busy and spaced my afternoon cup of coffee. By the time I realized it, it was too late.
Sad
Old 05-02-24, 08:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Just poured myself a second glass of wine to accompany some dark chocolate after my dinner, and as soon as I sat down, I started hearing some whining through the baby monitor. Damn it, that was a short nap. What does a man need to do to get some peace around these parts???
Old 05-02-24, 08:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10507 Post(s)
Liked 12,054 Times in 6,172 Posts

It's always something.

I am pretty satisfied with the wheels I built, so I was about to install the rim tape I'd bought. 20mm wide. The inner width of the rims is 19mm. So it won't fit. Had to order more, and I'm currently waiting for it.

Then there's the Circuit. The hoods FINALLY arrived from Poland!! So when I got home, I set about switching the levers to the new bars, and swapping on the new hoods. I got all the way through it and I was tightening down the pinch bolts on the brake cables, when I discovered that the threads on the pinchbolt for the rear are stripped. This is a special, short bolt that threads into the caliper arm. And probably the threads in there are also bad. Aw, ****. So, since they come in pairs, I ordered a set of front and rear Sante brake calipers off Ebay.

And now I'm waiting for THEM, too!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-02-24, 08:16 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8355 Post(s)
Liked 9,199 Times in 4,534 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
What combo are you using? Are both the tire and rim rated as tubeless ready, or tubeless compatible or whatever? Every tubeless rim/tire combo I've tried on MTB has been pretty damn easy.
My bike came with Maxxis Rekons, 2.8 on 35mm internal width rims. Both TL compatible. They are so hard to get the bead off it's ridiculous. I use tubes and when I inflate them the bead pops on around 40 psi.

I've changed the tube a couple times on a ride and I still don't know how I did it. At home I use a big screwdriver to break the tire loose.
Old 05-02-24, 08:17 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Stans ZTR Arch EX and Schwalbe Hans Dampf TLR 26x2.35

The second tightest combo I've had. The worst was Panaracer Fire XC Pro tubeless on Mavic Crossmax 26ers.
Old 05-02-24, 08:19 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Since Flag is so much less thorny than down in the desert I might just keep running tubes up here forever, who knows.
Old 05-02-24, 08:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Just poured myself a second glass of wine to accompany some dark chocolate after my dinner, and as soon as I sat down, I started hearing some whining through the baby monitor. Damn it, that was a short nap. What does a man need to do to get some peace around these parts???
​​​​​​Mmmm, some vino sounds good, might have to run up and get a bottle after dinner.
Old 05-02-24, 08:28 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by big john
My bike came with Maxxis Rekons, 2.8 on 35mm internal width rims. Both TL compatible. They are so hard to get the bead off it's ridiculous. I use tubes and when I inflate them the bead pops on around 40 psi.

I've changed the tube a couple times on a ride and I still don't know how I did it. At home I use a big screwdriver to break the tire loose.
Screwdriver, OMG!

That's pretty wild as all my plus tyres have been pretty easy mount/dismounts. Can't remember if I've had Maxxis on there, seems like it though. Kendas and schwalbes in 2.8 and 3.0 fairly easy. Stans rims, 30mm, kinda skinny for plus tyres but seems to work OK.

​​​​​​
Old 05-02-24, 08:57 PM
big john

Screwdriver, OMG!

That's pretty wild as all my plus tyres have been pretty easy mount/dismounts. Can't remember if I've had Maxxis on there, seems like it though. Kendas and schwalbes in 2.8 and 3.0 fairly easy. Stans rims, 30mm, kinda skinny for plus tyres but seems to work OK.

​​​​​​
I've tried lots of things, including standing on the tire, trying to squeeze it with Channel Lock pliers, plastic trim tools, and pulling on it until my fingers felt like they would come off. The best way I've found is to leave the wheel on the bike, turn the bike upside down and jam the blade of a large Snap On screwdriver in there and start working around a half inch at a time. Sometimes I have to start with a smaller blade. More difficult to remove than any tire I've ever dealt with.
Old 05-02-24, 09:01 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Vee dub wheelie OTD

Old 05-02-24, 09:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I got busy and spaced my afternoon cup of coffee. By the time I realized it, it was too late.
Sad
I've been keeping a bag of decaf on hand pretty steady lately so I can have coffee all day and all night. I usually do half caff in the mornings, decaf only after 1400 hours Currently Peet's Major Whoozit decaf and Bustello caffeinated.
Old 05-02-24, 11:07 PM
big john

The Knicks eliminated the 76ers. I didn't expect that. Bucks are out, too. Lots of injuries there, though.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-03-24, 01:25 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 312 Posts

No, no, no, a thousand times no! I've no doubt that your hands are a lot steadier than mine, but there is an easier and safer way.

I use a ratcheting wood working clamp and a couple of pieces of softwood lumber. It has never failed to get the bead over the lip on the rim on one side or on both. And there is much less risk of damage to tire, rim, or body.
Old 05-03-24, 05:52 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 1,257 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
It's good you're OK.

David Malukas? Not so lucky. He lost his ride at McLaren due to a MTB crash.

You kids be careful on those dadgum things.
Glad you're ok abshipp. MTB certainly has it's risks. FWIW, I've crashed many times on the MTB, only a couple of them amounted to more than me just dusting myself off. I've had more bad accidents on the road.

Also I don't really do jumps haha. That's a young man's game! Used to ride my bmx bike on dirt jumps a lot as a kid.
I really do try and be careful, this was a washout where I got mostly road rash (dirt rash?). Most of my MTB crashes are pretty minor, especially because the speed is so much lower. I'd take crashing my MTB over my road bike pretty much any time.

I know that progressing on the MTB involves riding at the edge of your skill level, but there's lots of stuff I will just walk if I don't feel comfortable. Modern MTBs do a great job letting you get away with a lot but it can go pretty bad if you push too far. I'm scared of riding in Pisgah because the consequences of messing up can be pretty significant. Doesn't help that if you get hurt out there you are pretty inaccessible to anyone who could help you, if you can get in contact with them.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 05-03-24, 06:23 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28752 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,332 Posts
Area code alert.

Adjust your dialing accordingly.

Old 05-03-24, 06:26 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 11994 Post(s)
Liked 6,730 Times in 3,515 Posts
Funny Zwift Race today. Zwift Crit Racing Club "Dutchy Estate", A race, 1st of 3 starters.

We were a group of three until about halfway in when one dude got dropped after some attack/counter attack shenanigans. Then it was me and Mr. Trek, who (screenshot below) did the lions share of the work. And by that, I mean like all of it. He tried to shake me a few times but couldn't do it, and then would just like motor at 5.0 w/kg continually. I just rode his wheel like ummmm.... ok? I'm not gonna get worn out riding 4-4.5 in his draft. He should have feigned some weakness, or at least just not pulled as hard so his attacks would have been more effective.

In fact I was pretty scared of him, until about 2 laps to go (of 6) I could tell that I had more snap and that he wasn't gonna shake me. I launched on the last little hill about 1.0 miles out and he couldn't hold match my attack. I felt bad just camping his wheel the whole time, but hey that's bike racing. He had stronger legs but didn't do a good job at the whole racing part.

Kudos!
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-03-24, 06:39 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 11994 Post(s)
Liked 6,730 Times in 3,515 Posts
The Knicks eliminated the 76ers. I didn't expect that. Bucks are out, too. Lots of injuries there, though.
The Knicks have been absent from the playoffs for an eternity. Last year’s appearance was just a warmup, but this year it’s “Bring on the hated Celtics”!
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-03-24, 07:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18494 Post(s)
Liked 15,790 Times in 7,415 Posts
Repairs to the Subaru are underway. Estimate is only $3K. Thought it would be much higher. Driver’s insurance has admitted fault, so I don’t have to pay the $500 deductible.
Old 05-03-24, 07:36 AM
big john

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
No, no, no, a thousand times no! I've no doubt that your hands are a lot steadier than mine, but there is an easier and safer way.

I use a ratcheting wood working clamp and a couple of pieces of softwood lumber. It has never failed to get the bead over the lip on the rim on one side or on both. And there is much less risk of damage to tire, rim, or body.
lol, my hands are pretty steady. Car mechanic for 40+ years.

I'm not picturing what you are describing. You are squeezing the tire together to get the bead loose? I've tried to squeeze it and nothing seems to get a bite. Once the tire is flat the beads are seemingly welded to the rim. When I finally get the bead loose it's as easy as any other mtb tire to remove or install the tire from the rim.
Old 05-03-24, 07:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18494 Post(s)
Liked 15,790 Times in 7,415 Posts
I wonder if the zebra is still loose near the western terminus of the Palouse to Cascades... 🦓
I heard about that briefly on the news. Several broke free. One had not been captured.
Old 05-03-24, 07:47 AM
big john

Originally Posted by BillyD
The Knicks have been absent from the playoffs for an eternity. Last year’s appearance was just a warmup, but this year it’s “Bring on the hated Celtics”!
The Knicks looked pretty good and showed toughness in that series. Now they have to get by the Pacers. The Celtics seem to be cruising and will probably get Cleveland next.

I didn't expect much from the Lakers but the Clippers are loaded with superstars and still struggle.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-03-24, 08:16 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28752 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,332 Posts
lol, my hands are pretty steady. Car mechanic for 40+ years.
Not sure if there's a way to quantify it, but I'd guess my hands are of average steadiness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.