Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel routes near Bryson City, NC

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23, 04:14 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts

We generally go to the Brevard area and do gravel rides all in the Pisgah/Dupont area. However, looking for a change, we thought we would go farther west and selected Bryson City. I know Tsali is close and we most likely will do that with our mountain bikes.

But, we are also bringing our gravel bikes - wife not a fan of traffic on roads. Anybody know of good gravel routes that are close to Bryson City? The bike shop web sites from the area have not listed many things...
Old 07-02-23, 08:21 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

So yes, outside of mountain biking Tsali and Fire mountain, which are fine, but a little too manicured for me, there is nothing. A dead zone. No road riding and no gravel.
Old 07-03-23, 05:52 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
So yes, outside of mountain biking Tsali and Fire mountain, which are fine, but a little too manicured for me, there is nothing. A dead zone. No road riding and no gravel.
What********** Not exactly right at Bryson City, but there’s tons of stuff around.
Road - great road riding all around, but lots of hills. You’re close to Tail of the Dragon, 311 curves in 11 miles. Just go early in the day and preferably on a weekday. And you’re close to the Cherohala Skyway which goes over 5000 ft.
Gravel - lots of options off of the Skyway.
you may have to drive an hour for to get to what I described, but it’s really prime stuff.
Old 07-03-23, 08:01 PM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
What********** Not exactly right at Bryson City, but there’s tons of stuff around.
Road - great road riding all around, but lots of hills. You’re close to Tail of the Dragon, 311 curves in 11 miles. Just go early in the day and preferably on a weekday. And you’re close to the Cherohala Skyway which goes over 5000 ft.
Gravel - lots of options off of the Skyway.
you may have to drive an hour for to get to what I described, but it’s really prime stuff.
Yeah, lots of good stuff - a lot of stuff from Tellico River gorge - but that is two+ hours from me. I was looking for some gravel/ back road routes close to Bryson City - 20+ minutes max driving. Not much. Went to three bike shops, Tsali Bikes in Bryson City, Motion Maker and the cycle center in the Nantahala outpost. All said just ride Tsali and Fire mountain or head back towards Asheville and ride those trails (Berm peak).

I have been here since Saturday and have not seen a single road/gravel rider anywhere. I actually drove on the tail of the dragon - not all of it and don't think I want to ride my bike on that!

If you have some good ride with GPS routes or anything around 30-40 minutes from Bryson City - I will happily take it.

I found this that is about an hour away on ride withGPS

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43515...ev5k8YxIIxjjtb

and this from Cherokee that could be good.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42969255

Any experience with those?
Old 07-05-23, 07:50 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
It may push your definition of "close" a little bit, but you might look at the Heintooga spur of the Blue Ridge Parkway NE of Cherokee. I think there are a couple loops you can ride, parking at the Oconaluftee visitor center, climb 5-8 miles (next to no traffic on an early weekday morning), and then down either Bunches Creek Rd. or Heintooga to Balsam Mountain Rd. and back into Cherokee. No personal experience with either (I stayed on the road!), so please report back with any findings!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-05-23, 08:42 AM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by pdlamb
It may push your definition of "close" a little bit, but you might look at the Heintooga spur of the Blue Ridge Parkway NE of Cherokee. I think there are a couple loops you can ride, parking at the Oconaluftee visitor center, climb 5-8 miles (next to no traffic on an early weekday morning), and then down either Bunches Creek Rd. or Heintooga to Balsam Mountain Rd. and back into Cherokee. No personal experience with either (I stayed on the road!), so please report back with any findings!
Thanks. That is not too far. Going to try route around that!