Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why did early mountain bikes had such crazy long geometries?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-23, 01:46 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts

I luuuuuv early straight top tube lugged mountain bikes with lugged forks. It is such a crying shame that this trend only lasted a few years before everybody jumped into unicrown forks, then welded frames, and then in my opinion downhill from there. The early ones were exceedingly well built, then a lot of cheaper mass produced me-too's followed.

What I'm puzzled by is the geometry of these early frames. I just picked a Mt. Fuji and the measurements are just crazy. On the horizontal drops I can push the tires to pretty much 18 1/2" and it has a wheelbase of 42 1/2". This is pretty insane considering that this 18" frame with 26" wheels pretty much matches the numbers on my 21" Trek 720 touring bike. My daughter's Panasonic 7500 (converted to a touring bike) has similar long numbers.

Simply put, back then what was the rationale to build them this long and with such a steep fork trail? It is as if what they really wanted was to build was a touring bike with fat (for the time) 26" wheels and a flat bar. By the early 90's it looks like the long chainstays and fork trail began to shrink.
Old 08-09-23, 02:40 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Always keep in mind that Klunkers begat MTB's.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-09-23, 03:13 AM
abdon 

Yeah, but by the time they took proper form they crystalized into this. Then they evolved from there.
Old 08-09-23, 03:48 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Early on, the sole objective was to bomb down California's longest off-road descents. Without suspension and on rough surfaces, long chainstays provided high-speed stability. Maneuverability on level ground and uphill was a secondary consideration at best.

Cannondale's short-chainstay geometry for the Beast of the East was quite an outlier ("the East" referred to the fact that the East Coast off-road trails that the bike was designed for had very few extended downhill sections and lots of twisty, rough-surfaced stretches).

Long chainstays? Take a look at Denise Mueller-Korenek's world land speed record bike.

Last edited by Trakhak; 08-09-23 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-09-23, 04:32 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
The space between rear tire and seat tube on my 1985 Cannondale looks very long compared to modern MTBs.
Old 08-09-23, 04:35 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Also look at the British 3 speed bikes, such as the Raleigh Sports (or any TI variant) as well for clues on where the geometry came from.
When I wanted to find a "modern" equivalent of my 1956 Rudge, I found that many early mountain bikes were nearly identical. I got my 1983 Univega Alpina Uno and sitting next to the Rudge, the geometry is very close. Those old British bikes were stable, very well seasoned designs that could go most places and do most things.
Old 08-09-23, 05:13 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Early on, the sole objective was to bomb down California's longest off-road descents. Without suspension and on rough surfaces, long chainstays provided high-speed stability. Maneuverability on level ground and uphill was a secondary consideration at best.
This. And they had really low bottom brackets as well, which made them a pain for us east coast people. With that said, gravel bikes with longer seat stays are really great!
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 08-09-23, 06:13 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
This. And they had really low bottom brackets as well, which made them a pain for us east coast people. With that said, gravel bikes with longer seat stays are really great!
Except, again, Cannondale's Beast of the East. Whenever I rode mine after mostly riding my road bikes, I felt as if I were a mile off the ground.
Old 08-09-23, 06:58 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus

Agreed, vintage mountain bikes make great gravel bikes.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-09-23, 07:23 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
And vintage mountain bikes can make great touring bikes. I've got a 1985 Peugeot Canyon Express with 18" chainstays and a 69 degree head angle. Many early production mountain bikes were, essentially, a 26" wheeled touring bike. Mines got every braze-on a touring bike of the era had (3 bottle bosses, dual eyelets front and rear, seatstay and chainstay bridge fender mounts, and pump pegs at the top and bottom of the seat tube). Only thing missing is the mid fork lowrider braze on, but I may be remedying that soon. Maybe.
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 08-09-23, 11:08 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by abdon
Yeah, but by the time they took proper form they crystalized into this. Then they evolved from there.
Exactly, they still thought they wanted the long wheelbase stability until they figured out it slowed them down as the whole thing took off and got very competitive very quickly.
Old 08-09-23, 11:18 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Long chainstays? Take a look at Denise Mueller-Korenek's world land speed record bike.
From a handling standpoint, straight-line stability is pretty much the only criterion for that bike. I mean, I seriously doubt Ms. Mueller-Korenek gave one-millionth of a poop about how well it cornered.
Old 08-09-23, 11:42 AM
abdon 

Originally Posted by merziac
Exactly, they still thought they wanted the long wheelbase stability until they figured out it slowed them down as the whole thing took off and got very competitive very quickly.
So basically Gary Fisher set the tone of the early market and once manufacturers saw it was not a fad but a bonafide boom they just replicated the recipe?

Is there an interview with Fisher that discusses his thought process in his early mountain bikes designs? What he was trying to accomplish?
Old 08-09-23, 12:08 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 150 Posts
Is there an interview with Fisher that discusses his thought process in his early mountain bikes designs? What he was trying to accomplish?
You could ask Charlie Kelly - he's on this forum as Repack Rider

He may have covered all of this in his book, which I have not (yet) read:
Old 08-09-23, 12:27 PM
jingy2

Bikes: 1996 Rivendell All-Rounder, 2000 Chris Kvale, 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-11 Corsa Extra, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr, Rivendell Roadini, 86 Mercian Vincitore, 85 Vitus 979, 89 Vitus Carbone 9, 83 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 79 Motobecane Grand Touring,2022 Corvus Rhino

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 22 Posts
The early mountain bikes were 1930's Schwinn balloon tire cruisers with long chainstays and slack geo-68deg head 70deg seat tubes. This geo worked well for the riding they were doing-haul the bike in the back of a pickup to the top and bomb down(at least in Norcal).
The 1st custom MTB builders-Breeze, Ritchey etc copied this geo. The early production bikes copied the custom builders.
As the bikes grew in popularity and more people started riding them in more areas, the geo evolved-steeper and shorter for better climbing and all-around riding. Then racing got popular and NORBA geo took over.
Likes For jingy2:
Old 08-09-23, 12:34 PM
merziac

So basically Gary Fisher set the tone of the early market and once manufacturers saw it was not a fad but a bonafide boom they just replicated the recipe?

Maybe, it really wasn't very cut and dried, lots of conflicting stories depending on who you are listening to.

You should probably get and read Charlie Kelly's Fat Tire Flyer.

There's plenty of speculation on a lot of this as all the players were jockeying for position as it took off.

Here's my 1982 Merz custom, one of only about a dozen according to Jim.

He was very early on this but gets very little recognition as he didn't capitalize for himself but went to Specialized and helped them far more than many know.

Likes For merziac:
Old 08-09-23, 01:01 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Except, again, Cannondale's Beast of the East. Whenever I rode mine after mostly riding my road bikes, I felt as if I were a mile off the ground.
Yup, and the old EWR bikes, which had really high BB, short top tubes and short chain stays. Wheelie machines, but great to jump logs and stuff.
Old 08-09-23, 02:01 PM
abdon 

Originally Posted by merziac
Maybe, it really wasn't very cut and dried, lots of conflicting stories depending on who you are listening to.

You should probably get and read Charlie Kelly's Fat Tire Flyer.

There's plenty of speculation on a lot of this as all the players were jockeying for position as it took off.

Here's my 1982 Merz custom, one of only about a dozen according to Jim.

He was very early on this but gets very little recognition as he didn't capitalize for himself but went to Specialized and helped them far more than many know.

You can still see that strong influence for a looong bike for size. It sounds that the downhill trail was first and foremost on the minds of early builders both on the length and the step seat tube so you can sit far back to avoid flying over the handlebars.

Heck if at first form followed function, sometimes it gains enough momentum that it becomes a standard in its own right. Take the down sloping quill stem, ubiquitous on road bikes even today. That was not a need, it was more a throwback from the quills of penny farthing bikes that needed to bring down the bars from the high mount on top of the giant wheels. But people got so used to stems angling that it became an evolutionary anachronism.

Originally Posted by jingy2
The early mountain bikes were 1930's Schwinn balloon tire cruisers with long chainstays and slack geo-68deg head 70deg seat tubes. This geo worked well for the riding they were doing-haul the bike in the back of a pickup to the top and bomb down(at least in Norcal).
The 1st custom MTB builders-Breeze, Ritchey etc copied this geo.
well they copied what worked that made them suitable for the task. They didn't copy things like coaster brakes that ended up smoking by the end of the run.

Out of curiosity I'm just trying to understand why they did what they did, which it seems to be fairly clear now.
Old 08-09-23, 02:51 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Yes, but isn't that more because the rear wheel is only 24"?

Originally Posted by Bianchi84
The space between rear tire and seat tube on my 1985 Cannondale looks very long compared to modern MTBs.
Likes For Clang:
Old 08-09-23, 03:37 PM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
Quirky fun to see today but brings back a few memories. Acquired an SM500 back then with 24 / 26 mullet, roller cams, steel fork. Was a mistake. Poor handling, harsh ride, climbed like a dog on its last days. Wasn't even enjoyable on asphalt.
Sold it and got my first Ritchey, an XT equipped Ascent. Substantially better.

That said, I've had a number of C'dale road bikes and an early 700c hybrid that were greatly enjoyed.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 08-09-23, 03:42 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang
Yes, but isn't that more because the rear wheel is only 24"?
I'm pretty sure that the frame was designed for the 24"; the seat stays won't allow for a 26". BB Height is also kind of high at 11 - 3/4 inches even with the 24" wheel.
I built this back in '85 and love it!
Old 08-09-23, 04:03 PM
abdon 

I'll post a picture later of my Mt. Fuji and my daughter Panasonic 7500, both 26" tires, both long chain stays, top tubes, and step angles. The Bridgestone MB4 I'm getting rid of has a much shorter geometry. It is lugged but with a unicorn fork so not that early but not that late.
Old 08-09-23, 04:37 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
​​The Klunkers were kinda the Neanderthals of MTB evolution; they were there first, but they're a whole separate species; not really related to what came after them.

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
And vintage mountain bikes can make great touring bikes. I've got a 1985 Peugeot Canyon Express with 18" chainstays and a 69 degree head angle. Many early production mountain bikes were, essentially, a 26" wheeled touring bike. Mines got every braze-on a touring bike of the era had (3 bottle bosses, dual eyelets front and rear, seatstay and chainstay bridge fender mounts, and pump pegs at the top and bottom of the seat tube). Only thing missing is the mid fork lowrider braze on, but I may be remedying that soon. Maybe.
This here ^^^
The "Marin"- style ATBs of the early 1980s are what usually comes to mind when you mention Vintage MTBs. Upright, skinny-tube, triple crank, canti brakes; they share a lot of DNA with the touring bikes of the era. IMHO, they're pretty much touring bikes with the brake studs spaced for 26" wheels.
The early 1990s, particularly post-92 and the arrival of the first generation of suspension forks, saw the start of the constant, sometimes rapid, performance -oriented evolution that has characterized MTBs since.

I'd posit that my 89 KLEIN MTB has more similarities, geometry and hardware -wise to my 1976 Bridgestone tourer than it does with my 1996 Cannondale XC bike, despite being produced much closer together (and obviously being 26ers)
Old 08-09-23, 05:05 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
I think you got to rethink this slightly. Not so much downhill but uphill. I think it was for traction while climbing. Going up was just as important as going down.
Old 08-09-23, 07:07 PM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 1,431 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
​​The Klunkers were kinda the Neanderthals of MTB evolution; they were there first, but they're a whole separate species; not really related to what came after them.

I'd posit that my 89 KLEIN MTB has more similarities, geometry and hardware -wise to my 1976 Bridgestone tourer than it does with my 1996 Cannondale XC bike, despite being produced much closer together (and obviously being 26ers)
I built Gary's first MTB bike, he still has it! I have some information to add on this thread, if anyone is interested. Jim Merz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.