Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo experts please??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-23, 10:10 AM
nycracer1986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I just built a new bike with a local retailer and have a super record wireless (the new one) Groupset.

im new to campy and have a few questions.

1. does the installation in the bottom bracket look correct? The Bb cup reads “Pro Tec” on the edge but the SRW crankset is Ultratorque - does this make sense? Also, what is this strange washer on the drive side? Photo attached…

2. I’ve heard about the “Campagnolo clunk” but wow yes it’s real. Is this normal when I’m shifting down at a normal cadence to have a very Solid sounding shift and clunk noise? There’s no rattling or anything but a single loud and very solid/strong sounding “clunk” that is in my opinion very loud. This is normal correct?

3. does anything have experience with “MyCampy 3.0”? The icons in my home page seem to have mixed up the front chainrings and the rear cassette options, icons are swapped relative to the numbers it presents as values. Is this normal in this application? Like is the application not great or have I done something wrong in my syncing? Not sure what to think because I synced properly I believe but it could just be that the application sucks and maybe you can help if you have experience with that? I’ve been a long time Shimano user

Is this washer normal???

Why are these backwards?
Old 08-14-23, 11:28 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
That little ring or washer-looking thing next to your BB cup is actually a retention clip, just wire bent into the right shape to hold itself in place and protrude through the cup in two places. I believe its only real purpose is to hold things in place during assembly. Once the crank arms are bolted together, the clip is not necessary. (I always use it anyway.)

When you say "shifting down" do you mean going into a smaller cog in back? They tend to give an audible clunk and really let you know you've shifted. It's normal, and I actually find it satisfying.

I can't help you with the app or electronics.

Last edited by Broctoon; 08-14-23 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-14-23, 11:32 AM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
I have 11 speed mechanical Chorus, the sound of shifting is loud and solid, everything works fine. I call this is the Italian style shifting
Old 08-14-23, 11:40 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
That little "ring" going through your BB cup is actually a retention clip. I believe its only real purpose is to hold things in place during assembly. Once the crank arms are bolted together, the clip is not necessary. (I always use it anyway.)
No, the clip is not needed during assembly at all, and would in fact prevent proper assembly were it installed before the crank was assembled; the bearings are pressed onto the spindle halves, then slide into the BB when the left and right crank arms are insterted and bolted together. If the clip were in place, it’d block the bearing going into the cup. The clip is placed there after assembly to ensure preload on the wavy washer on the non-drive side. It’s something to do with variability in BB shell widths, IIRC.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-14-23, 11:44 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by chaadster
No, the clip is not needed during assembly at all, and would in fact prevent proper assembly were it installed before the crank was assembled; the bearings are pressed onto the spindle halves, then slide into the BB when the left and right crank arms are insterted and bolted together. If the clip were in place, it’d block the bearing going into the cup. The clip is placed there after assembly to ensure preload on the wavy washer on the non-drive side. It’s something to do with variability in BB shell widths, IIRC.
Oh, you're right. Thank you for the clarification. That side has the wave washer, and the clip ensures it gets pre-loaded. I've installed a few of these and just follow the step by step instructions. I've always used the clip, but didn't see how it could be critically important.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-14-23, 12:05 PM
nycracer1986

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So in respect to the assembly of my new bike as per the photo I sent, does it look proper and can I leave that clip in place?
Old 08-14-23, 03:36 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Yes, it appears to be correctly assembled, and you should not remove the clip.
Old 08-14-23, 04:22 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Down shift = shifting in the rear to a larger cog
Up shift = shifting in the rear to a smaller cog.

Which is the clunk happening?
Old 08-14-23, 05:29 PM
nycracer1986

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Down shift = shifting in the rear to a larger cog
Up shift = shifting in the rear to a smaller cog.

Which is the clunk happening?
I believe when I “up-shift” shifting to a smaller cog in the rear
Old 08-14-23, 05:30 PM
nycracer1986

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Has anyone had experience with my campy 3.0 app?

what sort of things can I customize with the Groupset?

the app doesn’t really give me any options as to things I can change or customize
Old 08-14-23, 05:35 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by nycracer1986
I think it's normal then.
Old 08-14-23, 06:37 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Lol
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 08-14-23, 10:19 PM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
You're the first person I've seen on BF with the new SR wireless groupset. Way to go! I can offer kudos but no help. Ride in good health!
​​​​
Old 08-14-23, 10:58 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
I know from previous threads that you spent upward of $20k on the build. I'd expect top tier customer support. Can the shop not advise?
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 08-15-23, 05:29 AM
wheelreason

[Ferrari dealer phone ringing]
"Pronto"
"What is this third pedal for? I can't believe there is nothing here that explains it and no one even mentioned it!"
"stronzo testa di cazzo"

[scene]
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 08-15-23, 10:14 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I just built a new bike with a local retailer and have a super record wireless (the new one) Groupset.

im new to campy and have a few questions.

1. does the installation in the bottom bracket look correct? The Bb cup reads “Pro Tec” on the edge but the SRW crankset is Ultratorque - does this make sense? Also, what is this strange washer on the drive side? Photo attached…

2. I’ve heard about the “Campagnolo clunk” but wow yes it’s real. Is this normal when I’m shifting down at a normal cadence to have a very Solid sounding shift and clunk noise? There’s no rattling or anything but a single loud and very solid/strong sounding “clunk” that is in my opinion very loud. This is normal correct?

3. does anything have experience with “MyCampy 3.0”? The icons in my home page seem to have mixed up the front chainrings and the rear cassette options, icons are swapped relative to the numbers it presents as values. Is this normal in this application? Like is the application not great or have I done something wrong in my syncing? Not sure what to think because I synced properly I believe but it could just be that the application sucks and maybe you can help if you have experience with that? I’ve been a long time Shimano user

Is this washer normal???

Why are these backwards?
logically, lookin at the gui, it would appear that the crank and cassette values are swapped is your crank a 45, 29? (interesting)
does it ride and shift well? then maybe there is no issue other then bad gui or software, but I would get it checked
I would expect full support from the shop, phone or in person for a high end build....

Old 08-15-23, 10:17 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
[Ferrari dealer phone ringing]
"Pronto"
"What is this third pedal for? I can't believe there is nothing here that explains it and no one even mentioned it!"
"stronzo testa di cazzo"

[scene]
except no new ferrari since 2009 has a clutch or at least a clutch pedal

so good reason to keep by A4 quattro with six speed and get another bike rather than a ferrai

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-15-23, 11:15 AM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by squirtdad
except no new ferrari since 2009 has a clutch or at least a clutch pedal

so good reason to keep by A4 quattro with six speed and get another bike rather than a ferrai
LOL. The screenplay is loosely based on the book, and is set right before the housing crisis, There is a deleted scene where the wall street cyclists gets a flat near Riverhead and is gang ***** by the commercial fishermen that gave him a ride...
That Audi corners unveliabably. A bud had a supped up one, that was scary fast.
Old 08-15-23, 11:45 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Can confirm the Campy clunk. I get that with my 11s Record. It's not subtle like Shimano.
Old 08-15-23, 01:08 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
The clip looks correct - as said, I think it holds the wave washer. This design has been criticized by people like Hambini, but it appears to work well.

The clunk is not only normal, it's awesome and has been a Campy trademark for many years. It's like slamming the door on a G-Wagen. I find it extremely satisfying.

Last edited by mattcalifornia; 08-15-23 at 01:25 PM.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 08-15-23, 01:59 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I have installed quite a few Ultra Torque cranksets and can confirm that the clip is needed. What it does is to lock the drive side bearing in place in the cup. Without it, the crank will move from side to side. There was thread here a couple of years ago from someone who installed their crank without the clip and they could see the chainrings moving from side to side as they pedalled. I currently have 2 bikes with Ultra Torque cranks and my son has one. I have also installed these cranks on quite a few other bikes when I was working for a local distributor. I was shown how to install these cranks by a mechanic from Cycles Marinoni who is the biggest importer of Campagnolo components in Canada
Old 08-17-23, 07:04 AM
alexboer2004

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

hello, I don't understand this technical difference, can I mount the second plate in the photo, without problems?
Old 08-17-23, 07:13 PM
nycracer1986

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
logically, lookin at the gui, it would appear that the crank and cassette values are swapped is your crank a 45, 29? (interesting)
does it ride and shift well? then maybe there is no issue other then bad gui or software, but I would get it checked
I would expect full support from the shop, phone or in person for a high end build....
these ******g bike shops are the worst. I’ve tried emailing him and they won’t reply to this. It’s insane this industry. You spend 24k on a bike and they won’t help you with a clear ******g mishap and he also somehow can’t produce any of the labels or removables from the “boxes” that the new group set came out of. Who knows where it came from and honestly this god damn bike industry is such a ducking sham. I wish you could just get what you pay for it’s sad
Old 08-17-23, 07:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
these ******g bike shops are the worst. I’ve tried emailing him and they won’t reply to this. It’s insane this industry. You spend 24k on a bike and they won’t help you with a clear ******g mishap and he also somehow can’t produce any of the labels or removables from the “boxes” that the new group set came out of. Who knows where it came from and honestly this god damn bike industry is such a ducking sham. I wish you could just get what you pay for it’s sad
Bummer! I wanted the box my last bike came in but they had already put it in the recycle. They were fine with saving one for me from the next batch, just had to ask. You can get two good size sheets of cardboard from one box, good for all sorts of projects.
Old 08-17-23, 07:57 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
You are saying you spent $24,000 on a bike and the bike shop you purchased it from won't help you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.