Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Front rack question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Front rack question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 12:20 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Front rack question

I am looking at a new hard tail bike. It comes with fenders and a rear rack, but since I occasionally do week long self supported rides, I'd want to put a front rack on the bike (preferably a low style). Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to attach a rack to a front suspension. Brands of racks that might work would also be appreciated. I know that I can replace the front fork with a non-suspension fork, but that would be a last resort.

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-06-24, 04:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Old Man Mountain makes racks for suspension forks.

https://oldmanmountain.com
Old 03-06-24, 05:22 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
I put on this one:

​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/INLETTER-Bicy...2e10c7f3c541bd

And although it's not especially high quality, I hung a couple of loaded pans on it and it worked fine.
Old 03-06-24, 09:55 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I am looking at a new hard tail bike. It comes with fenders and a rear rack, but since I occasionally do week long self supported rides, I'd want to put a front rack on the bike (preferably a low style). Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to attach a rack to a front suspension. Brands of racks that might work would also be appreciated. I know that I can replace the front fork with a non-suspension fork, but that would be a last resort.

Thanks for any input.
Although it’s not a lowrider, I have been using this rack on several rides. Racktime apparently makes a version of it that seems to be a bit cheaper. It works really well with a front shock although the load is carried high. Getting something that works as a lowrider on front shock is difficult. Here’s what it looks like on the bike

Tubus used to make a rack called the Swing but it has been discontinued.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-06-24, 10:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
If I was to put a rack on a suspension fork it would be probably Old Man Mountain or maybe Thule Pack and Pedal or Topeak Tetra M1 but really I wouldn't, Maybe a Wren fork which is inverted but I would probably just go for a suspension corrected steel or carbon fork or do a better bike packing set up. Wren does sell a fork and rack combo: https://wrensports.com/collections/f...s-complete-kit

I wouldn't trust whatever that amazon thing is.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-06-24, 11:13 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Zefal Raider is designed for susp forks. Reasonably priced, higher capacity than the Tetrarack .
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 03-06-24, 11:45 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Thank you all for your responses.