Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Different Gears

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Different Gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 05:04 PM
milesofsmiles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Different Gears

I have an 18 speed mountain bike which I like. I would like to have a couple more gears for climbing though. Buying a new/different bike is not an option but changing the gears/sprockets is. I haven't used my highest gears ever while riding. I don't do speed, 20 mph is the max so far and call me a wimp but that's about fast enough on a bike for me. I want more power. I was looking at 21 and 24 speed bikes this week and I was wondering about changing my front sprocket(s). I want to put a smaller first gear on the front so my first 6 gears will have more power. Is this a good idea, feasible or a waste of time.

Last edited by milesofsmiles; 09-23-13 at 02:30 AM.
Old 09-22-13, 05:14 PM
milesofsmiles

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, I just went and counted the teeth on my smallest front sprocket, 28, and I noticed it's about as small as I could put on there, there wouldn't be any room for the screws that hold it on. So I guess I would have to change the rear cassette. Any suggestions?
Old 09-23-13, 12:16 PM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you want a new cassette with wider or a higher range. telling us what kind of parts you have can get you some answers.
Old 09-23-13, 12:38 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Guessing if you have an 18 speed (6x3), it's going to be 6 speed freewheel (cassettes are 7-11 speed, with some very rare exceptions) on the back, if this is the case, to upgrade to 21 or 24 speed would probably cost the same as a complete bike, due to having to replace so much of the drive train / rear wheel,
Old 09-23-13, 01:10 PM
milesofsmiles

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's an 18 speed (6x3). I don't want to change it to a 21 or 24 speed. I want to keep it an 18 speed but change the sizes (or size) of the gear (or gears) in the cassette. What I was thinking is take one or two smallest rear gears off and add one or two larger ones keeping at an 18 speed with a lot more power in the 1-6 range. I would spend more time in the 7-12 gears for speed. The tech at the bike shop where I went yesterday said I might have to change the length of my chain if I did this to compensate for the new gears.
Old 09-23-13, 02:20 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Chain length is a big issue. It might be easiest to just buy a different cassette as mentioned above. Trying to change out a couple of gears can have surprise problems with the rear derailleur.

Like you, I would rather be able to climb than have a big upper end speed on my MTB. What year and make is your bike? WE might be able to come up with something more specific for help.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Deor...item5d44460700

This 13 - 30 cassette is on Ebay for $6.00 at this time. Seems to be the tallest Cogs I could find for a 6 speed. It is an XT, so compatibility might be an issue.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Last edited by Daspydyr; 09-23-13 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 03:05 PM
milesofsmiles

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OK, here goes. Your probably going to roll yours but it's a Huffy Rock Creek, 26",18 speed, dual suspension bike. I know, it's a BSO but I love it. I bought it mainly because of the dual suspension. Your probably going to say it's not worth the effort or money but I have limited funds and I'm not going to get another bike for a while. While I'm riding this I am deciding what I do and don't like about it and what I want on one later when I do get a better one. Right now I just want to make this upgrade. The cassette on this bike goes from 28 teeth at gear 1 to 14 at gear 6 (I don't know how to say that in bike lingo). I've heard of gears at 32 and 35 teeth recently.
Old 09-23-13, 04:21 PM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Im thinking about this and I doubt you really need different gearing, If you are in the smallest front ring and the largest back cog I cant imagine you would really need a higher ratio.

u just gota exercise more!!!

if you have your heart set on this you will need a new back freewheel. And probably a new chain. and if you dont have a chainwhip and a lockring tool you will need to pay a shop another 5-10 bucks to switch the freewheel/cassette out.
Old 09-23-13, 04:57 PM
Daspydyr 

We all dance with the girl we brought. And we all wish we have something Brian Lopes would be proud of. I'm running a 36 right now and its good. I just can't find anything else. If you go too tall, then your rear deraileur might not have room for it.

Some slug suggested to me that I needed to improve the motor when I asked a similar question. Kinda like what Escarpment suggested. There is some real wisdom there. BUT my motto is, why get good when you can buy equipment?

Old 09-23-13, 05:38 PM
milesofsmiles

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, I'm spending equal amount of time looking into the gears and the exercising. Stayed tuned to see which one wins out.
Old 09-23-13, 06:44 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
miles, I won't say you won't/can't find a 6-speed freewheel with lower (higher number of teeth) gears; I will say it'd be TOUGH to do. And it is because, yup, you have a big-box bike. Not a lot of selection out there for 'upgrade parts' for those, and in 6-speed? WOW. A better bet would be a different crank. Is yours a 1-piece or a 3-piece?

What I'm thinking is, get a replacement crank that will match from a 24-inch-wheeled bike, should have smaller chainrings.....
Old 09-24-13, 02:01 PM
milesofsmiles

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
miles, I won't say you won't/can't find a 6-speed freewheel with lower (higher number of teeth) gears; I will say it'd be TOUGH to do. And it is because, yup, you have a big-box bike. Not a lot of selection out there for 'upgrade parts' for those, and in 6-speed? WOW. A better bet would be a different crank. Is yours a 1-piece or a 3-piece?

What I'm thinking is, get a replacement crank that will match from a 24-inch-wheeled bike, should have smaller chainrings.....
I was quickly coming to the conclusion that there aren't a lot of options in the 6-speed freewheel range. it has a 3 piece crank by the way. I was just looking at my old 24" MTB before I read this thinking something on the order of what you said, "to bad I could use those front sprockets". That's the only option I think.
Old 09-24-13, 02:23 PM
milesofsmiles

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
DX-MAN, now I'm curious,
What I'm thinking is, get a replacement crank that will match from a 24-inch-wheeled bike, should have smaller chainrigns.....
This is sounding possible. I looked at my bike after watching a youtube video about replacing a bike crank and it looks feasible, as long as I can get a smaller chainrigns to fit. I had almost given up on the whole idea. This is what I wanted to do in the first place.
Old 09-24-13, 02:54 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
6-speed freewheels with lower range aren't hard to find at all -- it's surprising that someone with access to Internet would be so confident that you'd fail in your quest.

Shimano makes a 14-34 "MegaRange" which may require a different rear derailleur. IRD makes some 6-speeds that go down to a 32: https://www.interlocracing.com/freewheelbreakdown.html

Which crank model do you have (got pics)? At least for old-school mountain bikes, the granny ring could be as small as 24T, which would help you out.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-24-13, 03:29 PM
milesofsmiles

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
ThermionicScott, thanks for the info. Now I can look at this from both ends and see which is the better solution. I will see about getting the crank model number and pics. I bought this bike new almost 3 months ago. I check the front gears, they're 28/38/48. I just saw one on the internet that is 22/32/44. My crank is 8" and the one I just mentioned is 7", would that make much of a difference in the pedaling?
Old 09-24-13, 03:49 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
. . . why get good when you can buy equipment?
Quote of the week.
Old 09-24-13, 04:30 PM
milesofsmiles

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Switch the front and rear gears on this and you have what I want,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
big-crank-bicycle.jpg (83.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-24-13, 05:17 PM
milesofsmiles

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I found this, how does it work, special derailleur? https://www.amazon.com/Cycling-Bicycl...0064215&sr=1-9
Old 09-24-13, 05:34 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Same dreailleur, as long as the cage is long enough. Mega-Ranges shift a little clunkily into that big cog but they do shift. I had an 8-speed Mega-Range years ago that gave me my needed stump-puller gear and worked satisfactorily.
Old 09-24-13, 05:37 PM
Daspydyr 

Originally Posted by milesofsmiles
Switch the front and rear gears on this and you have what I want,
And the fork is mounted backwards on this baby! I would hate to see the rider after he winds this up and has the front end fold under him!

Old 09-24-13, 06:44 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
We all dance with the girl we brought.
I don't know about you, but I dance with whoever the heck I want to dance with.
Old 09-25-13, 09:28 AM
Daspydyr 

Originally Posted by Zephyr11
I don't know about you, but I dance with whoever the heck I want to dance with.
YEAH, I have heard that Pint Sized Gnar Shredders who are good with scalpels are notorious that way.

Besides, look at that string of Dance Partners you got in the garage! I am so boring.

Old 09-27-13, 01:30 PM
milesofsmiles

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OK, my front gears are 48-38-28, standard set I guess. I found a set 42-32-24 and 42-32-22. Can any one here tell me if there is a chart or what ever that can tell you in power and speed what the difference is in these sizes. The reason I'm asking that on set drops my grannie gear by four teeth, the other by six. Will two teeth make that much of a difference in that size gear? The price difference is minimal from what I can see.
Old 09-27-13, 08:52 PM
floating dutchy

Bikes: 2013 GT Karakoram 3.0 29er Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's basic maths, the difference between a 28 tooth and a 24 tooth is will give you a gear that is a big the gear that you have times 24/28. or a gear that is 86% of the size.
Old 09-27-13, 09:44 PM
MisterK
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run a 2x8 with 22-32 up fron and 13-32 in the rear. I'm debating going single ring up front with a 30t ring. Yes they make them. Atleast raceface does

Edit: in addition, 2 teeth is about a 5% difference in resistance.

Last edited by MisterK; 09-27-13 at 09:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.