Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The New Classic Rigs and Rides Thread 1.1

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The New Classic Rigs and Rides Thread 1.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 09:54 AM
just dank
Cult Classic Cycling Club

Bikes: Ridley Helium, Norco Search

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just purchased a brand new 1989 Miyata 1100a 63cm. I hope buddy ships today as I could have it next week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
miyata 1100a.jpg (50.4 KB, 391 views)
Old 08-07-12, 11:22 AM
Zermatt7

Bikes: Schwinn, Specialized, Motiv,Giant

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE
Today I ordered a Selle Italia black & orange seat w/ pernium cut out, blue handle bar tape and a set of Vittoria Randonneur 700x28s w/reflecive side walls. The tires (TREK TECHNO T3s' in 700x28) that came on it started to seperate so it has been parked for awhile.

Will follow up once it is back on the road....Also in process of putting together a tool kit to cary on rides.
Old 08-18-12, 11:52 AM
TweedleDee

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Espree, 1995 Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been looking for a decent steel framed bike for several weeks as an upgrade to a 1992 Trek 1200. I never thought I'd find such an awesome bike just a few blocks from me. Poor older gentleman bought the frame new in the 1980s and built it up with full Dura Ace - he cried as I walked away with it. I'm definitely going to love on this bike.

Attached Images
IMG_1275.jpg (98.7 KB, 497 views)
IMG_1277.jpg (98.8 KB, 419 views)
IMG_1279.jpg (96.3 KB, 417 views)
IMG_1276.jpg (99.7 KB, 415 views)
Old 08-18-12, 12:05 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by just dank
just purchased a brand new 1989 Miyata 1100a 63cm. I hope buddy ships today as I could have it next week
You are on a roll with these road frames. What is the build plan this time?
Old 08-21-12, 12:37 AM
Mister Scott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage "find"

I hope it isn't bad form to post an intro here and show you my "garage find". I bought a road bike from a LBS over two decades ago. For a variety of reasons, I stopped riding after a few years. The bike has sat neglected in my garage for a long time now. A few years ago, I bought a new road bike. Health setbacks have kept me on and off of it, but lately I've renewed my commitment to ride. The "new" bike is at a LBS for new cables and tuning, and I am suffering a little withdrawal from not being able to ride. So during the down time, I decided to pull the old bike out of the garage and dust off the cobwebs.

It's a Miele Alba LX made in Canada. For some reason, the chain on it is all jacked up (I don't know what caused that) - and undoubtedly needs to be replaced anyway. I need to also get some 000 steel wool (0000 only did so much on the forks). I'm guessing that the shifting cables will need to be replaced (I'm pretty sure they're stretched). The upholstery in the Icaselle seat is coming up on the rear underside. The tires, at first glance, actually look OK and I pumped them up and they seem ok. The brakes hoods have an interesting patina. The decals are in pretty poor shape overall, having cracked and peeled in places (I'm resisting the urge to remove them). Group components appear to be Shimano Exige.

I contacted a local restorer/seller of vintage bikes and he has expressed interest in looking at it (possible to buy or work a trade deal of some sort). But I am having second thoughts about it. I am possibly interested in getting it up and running - maybe doing the work myself (I'm not very knowledgeable about bicycles and figured it might be a good learning project). Alternatively, I may see how big a hit I take when I get my other bike back from the shop. Maybe I can afford to have them do the minimum to get it running and I could improve upon it from there.

Before I ask y'all if I should kick it or keep it, let me tell you about my meager short term goals. I am in relatively horrible shape and recently returned to riding primarily for fitness purposes. I haven't given much thought to group rides and things of that sort as I am not up to it yet. In the meantime, I've set a simple goal to commute the 10 mile trip (each way) to and from work every Friday (barring something unforeseen on the schedule). I may increase this if find it not be to much of a hassle. In the back of my mind, if things go well, I think I'd like to do one of those supported 150 mile overnight charity rides sometime next year. My other ride is carbon fiber and this Miele feels like it weighs a ton in contrast. I am thinking about the Miele in terms of building it into a tourer for beer/grocery runs/errands in the city, hauling gear and such on my commute (including rain gear).

Being the noob that I am, I'm not sure if this bike will be suitable for my goals. So what should I do? Should I kick it or keep it?

If you think I should keep it, what do you recommend doing to the bike - including to lighten it up yet turn it into a commuter/tourer?

Thanks!

(And if my questions and such are posted in the wrong place, hopefully a moderator will correct it).
Old 08-21-12, 05:36 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
Looks cool. I've never heard of Miele (honey) before, except for the vacuum cleaners. :-) I'm sure it will be a good starting point. I wouldn't get rid of it, but then, I'm acquiring vintage steel road bikes and selling newer stuff.

Does MATA have buses which will carry bikes? (It certainly looks like they blanket the city in bus routes.) Here in Chicago the CTA buses have a rack in front which holds two bikes. If you have something like that, you can start out easy, do a couple short rides on the weekends, then try a ride to work with the bus as a backup. If you get halfway and decide you need a rest, wait for the bus and hitch a ride the rest of the way. If you have a secure place to store your bike at work, you could also ride to work Tuesday and ride home Wednesday, using the bus in the middle. I'm sure you'll find more ideas and encouragement on the commuting forum.
Old 08-21-12, 05:47 PM
just dank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
You are on a roll with these road frames. What is the build plan this time?
600/ultegra FD, Cranks, campagnolo 10 speed ergos, chorus RD, zonda wheelset. black/grey parts up front, chrome/silver in the back. saving up for said wheelset.

i made a template

Last edited by just dank; 08-21-12 at 05:50 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 08-21-12, 10:08 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
600/ultegra FD, Cranks, campagnolo 10 speed ergos, chorus RD, zonda wheelset. black/grey parts up front, chrome/silver in the back. saving up for said wheelset.

i made a template

I like the overall pan but question the crankset/FD. Theyare nice parts but wont match the finish on the campy parts. 10spd also shifts better up front with 10spd rings. it is worth the investment in my opinion. Are you doing this because you have them? Have you seen the century gray centaur group? It may go well with the gray on the bike.

Zonda wheels are great.
Old 08-21-12, 10:24 PM
just dank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the overall pan but question the crankset/FD. Theyare nice parts but wont match the finish on the campy parts. 10spd also shifts better up front with 10spd rings. it is worth the investment in my opinion. Are you doing this because you have them? Have you seen the century gray centaur group? It may go well with the gray on the bike.

Zonda wheels are great.
ive got ultegra 10spd rings on the way, silver. i wanted to go all shimano but i love campagnolo's shifting so i dont mind mixing. I have a full campagnolo bike so no need to deck everything out in it.
Old 08-21-12, 10:40 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
ive got ultegra 10spd rings on the way, silver. i wanted to go all shimano but i love campagnolo's shifting so i dont mind mixing. I have a full campagnolo bike so no need to deck everything out in it.
As long a you have the 10spd rings it should function well. That was my main concern. Which ultegra crankset is it? When you said 600/ultegra my mind went to tricolor at it wore both names but now I am wondering if it is a 600 FD and ultegra cranks.

Edit: did you know c10 levers will shift an s8 drivetrain? This would let you go mostly shimano but enjoy the superior ergo levers. It is a great balance. Cheap parts and great shifters.
Old 08-21-12, 11:06 PM
just dank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long a you have the 10spd rings it should function well. That was my main concern. Which ultegra crankset is it? When you said 600/ultegra my mind went to tricolor at it wore both names but now I am wondering if it is a 600 FD and ultegra cranks.

Edit: did you know c10 levers will shift an s8 drivetrain? This would let you go mostly shimano but enjoy the superior ergo levers. It is a great balance. Cheap parts and great shifters.
tricolour cranks and FD (also have the RD). on this build i'm not really going matchy matchy so no need to keep everything the same.

EDIT: went with the chorus crankset I had laying around. a lil nicer than the 600.

Last edited by just dank; 08-24-12 at 01:41 AM. Reason: new news
Old 08-25-12, 11:48 AM
Branimir
Merckx wannabe

Bikes: Rampon EL/OS 5700 groupset

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my pride and joy!

80s Zullo. Repainted and reequipped, previous owner stripped the paint of and redid the paint job and fitted the bicycle with Shimano 600 group (brakes, levers, hubs, etc...), as far as I can read the markings on the Shimano parts, they are all post 1985. It's 2x6 speeds.

Tires are cheap (9euro per tyre!) crappy Rubena 700x21 - I don't like them but they look nice due tan sidewalls, will buy 700x23 Panaracer Pasela's when I get some money, because I have to order them online, LBS's here don't sell them. Brooks B17 is the saddle, and I'm totally satisfied with it! I'm 175cm in height and this bike is C-T 56cm and top tube is around 55.5, I'm constantly thinking I need maybe a bit smaller bike, I find this one comfortable as is, the stem is only 10cm, and I could get away with a longer stem too. The whole bicycle is 10.5kgs in weight which is pretty cool since I have no clue about the rims and spokes, what brand they are and I think rims got some beating throught the years, at least the back wheel, he's not 100% straight, the front one is much better shape. Oh, and the Brooks saddle is half kilo in weight, so I was not aiming for a weight weenie.

I tried raising the stem up and down and found this lower position more aggressive and putting me in more demanding position - that is - to push the pedals, rather than to coast

ps: pedal clip ons are on the way, can't wait to put them on, I got used to them with my previous bicycle and I hate when my foot skids over the pedal and makes me almost fall of the bike hehe

Last edited by Branimir; 08-25-12 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-30-12, 05:58 AM
Briareos

Bikes: No bike at the moment; In process of building it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saarf

finally managed to get the right forks
What rims are those?
Old 08-31-12, 05:56 PM
Desertrats97

Bikes: 2008 SCOTT CR1 PRO, 1988 SCHWINN super sport, 1989 CALFEE/CARBONFRAMES SAPPHIRE

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Work in progress 1988 super sport
-1988 schwinn super sport
-1st gen Ultegra groupset
-Cinell bar and stem

Last edited by Desertrats97; 08-31-12 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 05:56 PM
Desertrats97

Bikes: 2008 SCOTT CR1 PRO, 1988 SCHWINN super sport, 1989 CALFEE/CARBONFRAMES SAPPHIRE

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry will post a pic later.
Old 09-01-12, 07:45 PM
christon

Bikes: pogliaghi 1981, pogliaghi 1992, Puch (austro daimler) vent noir I,II & Mixte, Motta, Cinelli SC, Cinelli Mixte 1962, Peugeot PX 10, Masi Special 1975 (?) , Mercier 1950ish, Colnago Pista 1977, Colnago Mater Piu 1992, KTM Strada S, Scapin Pista.....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my Steyr-Daimler-Puch (Austro Daimler) "Vent Noir" from 1976~78. Got it as a dusty & dirty piece with a mix of some original and some so-lala parts. For me one of the most beautiful bikes Puch has ever made, together with the Ultima and the Superleicht, of course. There was no way leaving it like it was, so i completed the original black Dura Ace group. According to the pamphlet from 1978, the rims were Fiamme Gold (elox), which i couldn`t get my hands on, but the Mavic OR10 are just as fine. Half a year later, i also got the Mixte Version of Vent Noir, which i will post some time later.

here you go:

PS: i am new here, haven`t posted too much yet. can anyone give me a hint how to upload big pictures instead of the thumbnails?
Attached Images
Vent Noir.jpg (102.2 KB, 388 views)
Old 09-02-12, 01:36 AM
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My main ride, a Schwinn Varsity dating back to at least 1972/73.
Attached Images
Bike on Deer Run.jpg (99.4 KB, 356 views)
Old 09-02-12, 09:59 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 150 Posts
95" Olympia Fusari

Old 09-03-12, 12:51 PM
doomtroll
Rider of the Storm

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1986 Trek 850

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
motobecaneGT.jpg (101.7 KB, 369 views)
Old 09-04-12, 12:16 PM
atariwhizkid

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn Expensinental, 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2011 Mercier Kilo WT5, 2011 Dahon Speed D7

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The time I spent too much on a Schwinn Continental

This used to be a (1980?) Schwinn Continental. The frame is powder coated. It has:

-700c Weinmann rims with Campy Record Hubs
-Sugino Mighty crankset (used Truvativ BB adapter)
-Shimano 600 RD
-Suntour AR FD
-Suntour Power DT Shifters
-Suntour cable stops/guides
-Dia Compe townie levers
-Velo-Orange Bellville bars
-Brass Bell
-Schwinn Approved brakes with Kool Stops

With the upgraded bars, this bike rides much more like its auto namesake, the Lincoln Continental. I glide along the road at an even pace without a care in the world. It's still heavy as heck, too.

Old 09-05-12, 12:53 PM
Chicagoan

Bikes: Fixie conversion, a few 10 speeds, a trailer, I GT Transeo for utilitarian riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

'78 Raleigh Super Record
Old Campy Record Clamp on DT shifters
Mid 90's Shimano 105 175mm Triple
Rear wheel is from an older hybrid
Shimano 600 brake levers
she is a mut for sure, but she hauls ass
Old 09-05-12, 05:15 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Nice bike. Some mutts just turn out great.
Old 09-05-12, 06:37 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
95" Olympia Fusari

Sweet. Are those Mavic wheels? What kind?
Old 09-05-12, 09:52 PM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by whatwolf
Sweet. Are those Mavic wheels? What kind?
There Mavic r-sys third generation wheels. Very controversial wheels brought on by the first generation model failures, but that's old news now.
I love them there the stiffest most true wheel around and great climbing wheels, there known for there lateral stiffness when standing on the pedals and I think they look good even on a retro bike. I just got a Modolo stem in the post after a long wait, I thought it was lost in the post so now I have to unwrap one side of the bars to fit it.
Old 09-05-12, 11:30 PM
ShogunNinja

Bikes: Shogun Ninja, Bridgestone MB-5, Motiv Stonehill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shogun Ninja Shimano 600 Components, Ayara CT-19 Wheel Set, Shimano Biopace Crank set, Italia saddle. Not sure of the year, I think it is early 90's.

Later, Duane

Shogun Ninja, 1992 Bridgestone MB-5, 1995 Motiv Stonehill
Attached Images
Photo0064.jpg (96.0 KB, 356 views)
Photo0065.jpg (82.5 KB, 332 views)
Photo0066.jpg (89.3 KB, 330 views)
Photo0067.jpg (78.6 KB, 329 views)
Photo0068.jpg (94.4 KB, 333 views)
Photo0069.jpg (90.4 KB, 331 views)
Photo0070.jpg (90.4 KB, 332 views)
Photo0071.jpg (93.2 KB, 328 views)
Photo0072.jpg (91.7 KB, 328 views)
Photo0073.jpg (83.2 KB, 329 views)
Photo0074.jpg (82.9 KB, 325 views)
Photo0076.jpg (82.3 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by ShogunNinja; 09-06-12 at 09:59 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.